How many postbacc units should I do? URM cgpa 2.96 sgpa 2.75

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fineapplejuice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

This is something I've been struggling to figure out for a while. I'm currently enrolled in a postbacc program at WashU in STL. My AMCAS cGPA and sGPA are 2.98 and 2.75, respectively, from a top UC (bio major, public health minor, California resident). I'm URM, black female. I have a dip in my GPA (below 3.0) between mid sophomore year and mid junior year. I have no real excuse for that aside from the fact that I hadn't been involved in any ECs during freshman year, so a combination of over-commitment and a failure to manage time wisely (+ the subsequent slump I went into due to poor performance, counter-intuitive, I know) led to a decline in my academics. The trend lasted for about a year and a quarter (5 quarters total).

I have a modest upward trend from mid junior year through senior year (mostly upper div bio courses, ~3.3). Aside from this, I have extensive clinical/research experience (3 yrs as a clinical research coordinator w/ significant patient contact; 4 poster presentations), significant volunteer experience (2500+ hours in various underserved community settings with multiple leadership positions in different orgs + chancellor's service award), lots of shadowing, and several strong letters of recommendation (my WashU advisor told me that I likely would not have been admitted to the postbacc due to my GPA if it weren't for my letters and experience). I'm signed up for a May 2018 MCAT. I would like to apply next cycle June 2018. I'm aiming for MD, but open to DO as well.

My advisor suggested two years of postbacc, from which I assumed meant 48 semester units. So far, I'm in 12 units right now that I will likely receive all As in. Due to costs of the program, I would like to do 24-30 at WashU, and then move back to CA and complete more units through my alma mater's extension program for a total of 36 units. The units after moving back home however would probably be done while working full time as well. After calculating my GPA with various numbers of units (assuming all As), I came to these final values:
24 units --> 3.09c, 3.01s
30 units --> 3.12c, 3.06s
36 units --> 3.15c, 3.10s
48 units --> 3.20c, 3.18s.

I felt that 24 might be risky in the case that AMCAS decided to recategorize one of my courses, but I also think the differences in my sGPA are nominal after the 24 unit mark (correct me if I'm wrong, please). @Goro @gyngyn @Faha (and anyone else willing to help!), how many postbacc units should I do to maximize my chances of admission? While I realize the longer postbacc route may be more ideal, I don't have the financial means to do so and my parents can't contribute.
Thank you so much for your advice.

edits for clarity
I dont think its minimal...honestly I did 33 units and i dont regret it....because it is also about sustaining that performance. At the end of the day to me my uGPA number is low but i sustained a 4.0 for a year and a half and finished undergrad strong so that means more to me (and I hope the adcoms) than my overall low number

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless a 3.18 sGPA (if you do 48 credits with all As) is unlikely to get you into a MD program. I would try to reach a 3.0 and then enroll in a SMP (or linkage post-bacc program) and kill that instead. I used to be in the same spot as you with my undergraduate cGPA being like a 3.01 and my sGPA being a 2.93

Regardless a 3.18 sGPA (if you do 48 credits with all As) is unlikely to get you into a MD program. I would try to reach a 3.0 and then enroll in a SMP (or linkage post-bacc program) and kill that instead. I used to be in the same spot as you with my undergraduate cGPA being like a 3.01 and my sGPA being a 2.93

Thanks for your input. Can I ask why you think the SMP is necessary? I realize it might be based off of my pre-req grades, but even putting in the lowest possible GPA ~3.0 and a modest MCAT put me at 75% likelihood for acceptance for LizzyM and a 70 on the Wedge system.

I disagree lol on the smp. I think that expected sgpa for someone who's URM is fine for new/low tier MD and DO, especially with an upward trend

Last edited:
I dont think its minimal...honestly I did 33 units and i dont regret it....because it is also about sustaining that performance. At the end of the day to me my uGPA number is low but i sustained a 4.0 for a year and a half and finished undergrad strong so that means more to me (and I hope the adcoms) than my overall low number

Thanks for your thoughts. I get what you mean-- That's why I'm trying to figure out how I can optimize my GPA unit/timewise to avoid being screened out WITHOUT running the risk of a school saying "but she hasn't proven herself enough" or something else along those lines.

Thanks for your input. Can I ask why you think the SMP is necessary? I realize it might be based off of my pre-req grades, but even putting in the lowest possible GPA ~3.0 and a modest MCAT put me at 75% likelihood for acceptance for LizzyM and a 70 on the Wedge system.

Why wouldn't you want to maximize your chances and be competitive across the board? With a 3.0 GPA and average MCAT for matriculation (509), which you have not achieved yet, you would not have a good chance at most medical schools. That percentage is for getting into at least one school, and every year it becomes even more difficult than the last. By the time you apply that data is going to be 3 years old. I personally wouldn't want to sell my self short and limit my opportunities. As a former re-applicant heed my advice when I say you want to apply with the most competitive app you can muster. Not worth it to risk re-applying.

Why wouldn't you want to maximize your chances and be competitive across the board? With a 3.0 GPA and average MCAT for matriculation (509), which you have not achieved yet, you would not have a good chance at most medical schools. That percentage is for getting into at least one school, and every year it becomes even more difficult than the last. By the time you apply that data is going to be 3 years old. I personally wouldn't want to sell my self short and limit my opportunities. As a former re-applicant heed my advice when I say you want to apply with the most competitive app you can muster. Not worth it to risk re-applying.
Yeah honestly after my post bacc I got a 520 MCAT as a URM and Im getting some love (3 II) but not that much...so with a 3.18 GPA you would have to get 516+ to be competitive and that is easier said than done...but don't worry if you think you can get a high score keep it to yourself...a couple years ago i told people on SDN i was a good test taker and i thought i could score high but people on here were negative and grilled me but rightfully so it isn't easy to do.

Last edited: