How Many Residencies Did You Apply To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CT4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a third year osteopathic student interested in anesthesia. I am in the process of setting up my 4th year rotations, as well as thinking about which residency programs that I would like to apply to. I just wanted to find out how many programs you guys applied to and how many interviews you went on. I'm trying to get an idea of how many programs I need to apply to in order to be "safe"...ie end up matching. Also, how many anesthesia rotations did you complete before applying to residencies. I have already completed one as a third year elevtive, but I was hoping to get at least on or two more in. Thank you very much for your help.

Rob, MS III

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 30 programs via ERAS (as suggested by my dean), received interview invitations from most of the programs, actually interviewed at 11, and only did 1 anesthesiology rotation prior to applying to residencies.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have applied to less programs (maybe 20?). From others whom I talked with on the interview trail, most interviewed at about 8 - 14 programs.

Good luck for next year's match!

ct4,

i'm not sure what type of gas programs youre looking at or whether youre gunning to get into the best of the best....?

i am a DO who was looking for strong programs (i.e. NW, Rush, MCW, etc) and NOT the MGH, Hopkins, BWH programs most others talk about. and for what it's worth, whether you call it ballsy or stupid, i took a huge gamble and ranked only 5 programs that i was reeeeealy interested in and matched! so it is always possible and you DON'T absolutely need a gazillion applications or interviews.

as i posted in the other discussion, i consider myself to be a strong candidate (NOT exceptional), however i did do a couple of rotations where i hoped to match, and a couple of letters from their attendings probably helped my cause!

best of luck to you!! ;)