How many schools is too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorchc27

Linda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, I tried to find a previous post, maybe I"m still too new to the site...i'm considering applying to 12-13 schools, is this too many?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

gatorchc27 said:
Quick question, I tried to find a previous post, maybe I"m still too new to the site...i'm considering applying to 12-13 schools, is this too many?

thanks!

Good question.

Answer: depends on what your stats are like. I didn't know how competetive dental schools were when I applied, and to be safe applied to like 15 schools. I was competetive, and got interviews at all. I went to like 12 interviews and got burnt out from all the travelling with my final year being really tough.

If you have over a 3.5gpa and AA of 20, I wouldn't apply to 12-13 schools in my opinion.

delicious said:
Good question.

Answer: depends on what your stats are like. I didn't know how competetive dental schools were when I applied, and to be safe applied to like 15 schools. I was competetive, and got interviews at all. I went to like 12 interviews and got burnt out from all the travelling with my final year being really tough.

If you have over a 3.5gpa and AA of 20, I wouldn't apply to 12-13 schools in my opinion.

I have an overall of 3.53 and I haven't taken the DAT yet. My diagnostic with the Kaplan class was an AA of 17 and PAT of 16, but that's before studying at all...

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school it is very common to apply to anywhere from 8-10, and sometimes more. When I traveled to my interviews I was surprised how many students applied to only a few. I say better safe than sorry but I applied to too many. My advice is: don't apply anywhere you wouldn't seriously consider going. Have a back up or two but don't go crazy. There were a few I didn't even finish the apps to--what a waste!

gatorchc27 said:
I have an overall of 3.53 and I haven't taken the DAT yet. My diagnostic with the Kaplan class was an AA of 17 and PAT of 16, but that's before studying at all...

You look like you'll be a good applicant. My advice: apply to your top 5 schools, and in addition, apply to two safety schools. I wish someone had told me when I first applied that it is common for people with 3.2 gpa's to get accepted. I had no idea!! Don't get me wrong though, study haaaard for the DAT - some school look pretty much only at that score (UoP, Columbia). Flame-Shields On!!!

I recommend to apply from 5 to 8 schools, if your GPA is above 3.3 and DAT is 18+.

You'll score well with that kap pretest score.

I applied to 11 schools and i ended up turning down a mess of interviews and wasting a bunch of money on secondaries. If you score 20 probably 8 TOPS if they are all competitive schools, and less otherwise. If you get a 22+ and don't botch all your interviews, 5 should be more than enough. You'll probably get in to all 5 you apply to as well.

Oh, and write a good personal essay. I worked on mine for a month, and i've gotten at least 1 comment on it at almost every interview. They do read them - i am almost a lil supprised.

Apply to as many schools as you can afford, but be sure you would be willing to attend those schools.

Ok how about this situation??

Applying right now........already applied to my state schools in November but want to add more.

How many is a good number?

Stats are below in my signature :love:

Thanks guys!!

dane4695 said:
...I applied to 11 schools and i ended up turning down a mess of interviews and wasting a bunch of money on secondaries. If you score 20 probably 8 TOPS if they are all competitive schools, and less otherwise. If you get a 22+ and don't botch all your interviews, 5 should be more than enough. You'll probably get in to all 5 you apply to as well.

Oh, and write a good personal essay. I worked on mine for a month, and i've gotten at least 1 comment on it at almost every interview. They do read them - i am almost a lil supprised.

I agree with this. I sent in my application before I had taken the DAT and, for whatever reason, I had convinced myself that I was going to bomb the thing. As a result I applied to a slew of schools only to regret it as I went to just about every interview (that's very expensive, I'd like to add) and was accepted to four out of my top five. So yes, eight schools should be enough if you have a good personal statement, do fine on the DAT, and get your application out around June. Best of luck!