How many schools is too many???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferral

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hope applications are going smoothly for those of you who are working on them right now.

So, something that someone mentioned in the VMCAS 2008 thread got me thinking about this:
Is there such a thing as applying to too many schools?
If so, how many is too many? 7? 8? 9? 10? At what point does it become a disadvantage or a red flag?

I can't remember who said it, but someone posted in the VMCAS 2008 thread that if you apply to a lot of schools some adcoms will ask you to recite your reasoning for applying to each school. Based on this info, I'm wondering if some adcoms may take an applicant less seriously if they are applying to a large number of schools.

I know that this answer will probably be different depending on individual situations. For me, personally, I started out with a small list but as I've read and researched additional schools I keep adding more to my list. At this point, if I were to apply to every school I wanted to, I would be applying to 10 schools total. :oops:

My reasoning? Each school appeals to me in some unique way but I honestly feel like I will be able to get an excellent veterinary education at any of the vet schools in the U.S. and I am serious enough about vet school that I would be willing to relocate 1000s of miles away just to attend if need be. Also, if I am lucky enough, it would be nice to have some options when all is said and done.

Any feedback, experiences, opinions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you have reason to appy to ten schools it is fine. Also take into account finances--both applying and if you get interviews traveling is expensive. I also don't know how flexible schools are with changing interview dates because you had an interview elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I only applied to 3 schools and if I had to do it again I would have applied to at least a few more. Sometimes you hear that if you don't get into your IS school, you won't get into any good OOS schools. That is *not* true. I got into Ohio State (OOS, higher ranked) and didn't get into UF (IS, lower ranked). The rankings don't really mean much, and you never know what the schools are looking for as far as experience, personality type, etc. So as long as you have a genuine interest in the school and have researched their program, application requirements, etc. - I would say go for it :luck: Good luck!