How many science classes complete before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm4Life87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many classes should I have complete before applying to pharmacy school? Besides people holding B.S.'s in biology and chemistry...can people please post their amount of classes they had complete along with GPA and PCAT scores?
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'll post the stuff I completed when I was applying last year.

2 semesters of physics
7 semesters of chemistry
4 semesters of biology
2 semesters of calculus
1 semester of DE

How many classes should I have complete before applying to pharmacy school? Besides people holding B.S.'s in biology and chemistry...can people please post their amount of classes they had complete along with GPA and PCAT scores?
Thanks in advance

Well you have to finish your pre-reqs before you enter school, so most of them lol

Members don't see this ad :)
so Bio 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2, org. chem 1, anat 1, and calc..is that enough for you to be evaluated?

so Bio 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2, org. chem 1, anat 1, and calc..is that enough for you to be evaluated?
if you have straight A's in all those, then go for it. if not, get all ochem done, and biochem under your belt, maybe even Ana or Physio, becuase your going against people with BS degrees and Master Degrees. I seen an article of one guy who had his BS, and MS, and had to apply to school twice before getting in. Not to discourage you, just saying you want to look competative and great as possible. Good Luck though!

*** actually, I see that you took anatomy already, so that helps. Go for it, you got nothing to loose.****

i had to take 2 semesters of organic chem and 2 semesters of bio (micro and genetics)
i had AP credit for 4 semesters of physics, and freshman chem and bio

pharmB.. do you go to UTPA?

I was a non-bio major (BA Psychology), and I took the bare minimum to apply to the 4 schools I wanted to attend. Pre-reqs varied greatly, but in the end it was 1 year of chem , 1 year of ochem, 1 year of physics, 5 bio classes, physiology, microbiology, 2 quarters of calculus, 1 quarter of statistics
(no anatomy)

1 year =3 quarters

aacp's list of pre-reqs.
http://aacp.org/resources/academicp.../2010_11 PharmacyPre-RequisiteInformation.pdf

for specific course equivalencies , visit the pharmacy school's direct website.

Yes. The soonest you could possibly apply is after your second year, so use that as a benchmark.

Why can't you apply during your second year? A lot of pharmacy schools basically require 60 credits undergrad, which only takes two years.

Don't wait to get more classes under your belt that may not even be required. Apply, and if you don't get accepted continue with you under-grad and then apply next year.

This is all that I completed when I applied

Bio I + Lab
Bio 2 + Lab
Chem 1 + Lab
Chem 2 + Lab
Calc
Applied Stats

I will have all the pre-reqs complete by this fall assuming i get accepted to a pharmacy school.

Last edited:
Yes, like every body says, just get the requirements for the school that you are planning to go. Typically, you need general chemistry, organic, ana and phys + lab, and Bio's courses. Also make sure you take the humanities and social sciences courses, some schools require quiet a lot.

Just make sure whatever you take, study like a maniac and try to get A's. The competition is fierce, for the spots.
Good luck;)