How many semesters of Organic Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A P

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university recently changed the recommended course outline for Cell and Molecular Bio majors (which I am). Previously, we were required to take Organic Chem I & II, however now the recommended route is to take one semester of Organic Chem survey, which is from what I understand a condensed overview of both semesters. O Chem I & II can still be taken in place of the one semester class, what would you guys do in this situation? One semester of O Chem may be better for the GPA, but the 2 semester route may be better for MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools have an ochem requirement. This requirement can be filled with 1 semester of Biochem (at a decent number of schools) + biochem lab

I would definitely recommend BCH for the MCAT OVER orgo
(I was an organic chem tutor to put that in perspective)

Ideally, you would take Orgo I & II, then take Biochem right before the MCAT

I can't really comment on weather the 1 semester Orgo course would meet the requirement, as schools usually only accept those types of "survey" courses if the institution does not offer the full 2 part course with lab. Since your school offers it they may view this as taking the easy way out.

For reference, my school offers a similar "survey" ochem course that is required of the nursing majors. When I asked my advisor about it, he looked at me and said "theres a reason people trust physicians advice and not nurses, because we make pre-meds take the real classes" He also said that most schools wouldn't take it.

So I guess you have two options

1- Take Ochem I & II, then biochem and be best prepped for the MCAT but risk your GPA

2-Take the orgo review then biochem, have a better gpa and be slightly weaker in Ochem (both the survey course and BCH should satisfy your chem reqs, but be careful and check your school list)

I think a few schools still require both semesters of orgo. Rosalind Franklin comes to mind -- they require orgo I, orgo II, and biochem. Best to check the med schools you plan to apply to on MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about specific school requirements (or what they would prefer), but I just wanted to say that there really isn't much organic chemistry on the MCAT. At least in my review of it from TBR and EK, most of the material is from orgo 1. They also reduced the % organic chem content from the old exam, and any gaps you have could be filled in with prep books. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

Stop being a lil weiner and take all 3. I promise that is the best route for both MCAT and Med schools.

My undergrad degree (in health sciences) only required a semester of orgo so they instituted a condensed one semester class. I elected to do the full year that most premeds were subjected to and I can tell you that from what I heard of my peers in the condense class, the material covered would not have prepared me for the MCAT or any class further down the line. I certainly worked harder than my classmates during those semesters but in the end it paid off because I'm bound for med school while they're all going in separate directions.