How many years does it take to graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sully677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for a bio or chem major to graduate in 5 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, I don't know if it'll help but I'm a biochem engineering major who will take 5 yrs to graduate. I took a semester off to work for an engineering firm- hope adcoms don't hold that against me. I think you'll probably be fine as long as you have a reason.

Is it normal (>50%)? Definitely not, do people do it in 5 years, yes. How many, no idea, off the hip.... 30%.... for those applying to medical school.... probably less. I could be totally off, just going by the people I know that have been those majors and applied to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing it in 4 years without ever taking summer school (summers were for work). I'm a Bio major with 2 minors (which is almost an extra major, 18 hours for each...chemistry and humanities)

I don't think being a bio or a chem major is an excuse to graduate in any specific number of years, it will depend on you. If you are the kind of person who only takes 12 hrs/semester it might take you longer, same if you have to repeat to many classes.

If you are asking because it might have an influence in your application, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Since most of the pre-reqs are built into the Bio/Chem degree, its fairly easy to get done in 4 years if you were that major from the beginning.

If you've switched majors late, or are a major that all the pre-reqs are electives then it could take 5.

Most people take four years, but there are always people who take 5 or longer because they switched majors at lot, took too few credits, illness, etc. It's not the end of the world if it takes 5, but consider yourself lucky if your parents are willing to pay for that. :p

(PS My cousin took 10 years to graduate college. That makes 5 look speedy)

5 as in a full five? or like 4 and a quarter? 4.25 is fairly common at my UG. that quarter being a summer session, or fall quarter. The former is considered 4 years, and the latter considered 5. That being said, it's still NOT NORMAL to take 5 unless (as mentioned by others) one or more of the following apply: you get a late start (enter un-declared), change majors, fail courses, play a college sport, work full time etc.

I got 2 degrees BA in Religious Studies and a BS in Biology along with a minor in Chemistry, and I did that in 4 years. I know people that did Bio or Psych Majors all w/ premed requirements in 3 or 3 1/2.

I'm graduating this spring after 5 years... but, I did a whole year without a major at all (no science classes) then changed my major going into what should have been my senior year. So, I think that's ok. Taking 5 years because you just want to space out your classes and not have "too hard of a quarter" = probably not ok (in adcomm's eyes).