How many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azadeh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how many students in total get accepted to dental schools each year? (U.S. only)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how many students in total get accepted to dental schools each year? (U.S. only)

If you go on predents.com, you can add each school's incoming class. That'll give you the minimum. But then you must add an additional 20%. As for majority of applicants get accepted to more than one school and obviously must choose and go to only one school. My percentage is most likely off, but you get the point.

i estimate ~5% of total applicants get into d-school. about 10% of applicants get an interview, and about half of those interviewed get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
four thousand something? i dno.

Let's assume there are ~57 Dental Schools in the United states, with 60-100 seats open (we know that some schools do accept more than this and some maybe less). let's pick 80, to be in the middle. That's about 4,500 students right there. If memory serves correct, approximately 12,000 people apply each year.

I believe we have a thread on here that states ~30 percent of people are accepted each year out of the applicant pool.

Are you asking how many acceptances are given out, or how spots are available/how many people are currently enrolled? Schools may dish out more acceptances than there are seats because not everyone is expected to choose that school as their number one choice.

yea i think its like 4400 or something out of around 12000 applicants, so it's about 37%. those are the stats i've always seen anyway. it's more competitive than medical even. well good luck everybody!

I believe that far more than 12,000 people apply to dental school each year. The university of Maryland itself has over 2,000 applicants and NYU has close to 4,000 applicants per year. Acceptance into a dental program is closer to 5-10% of the applicant pool rather than 30%.

Last edited:
I believe that far more than 12,000 people apply to dental school each year. The university of Maryland itself has over 2,000 applicants a year. Acceptance into a dental program is closer to 5-10% of the applicant pool rather than 30%.

It's closer to 30% I believe. 12,000 Applicants, probably 120,000 Applications, since on average I think that people apply to about 10 schools each. It's not far more than that, since that is what the ADEA reports... The 2000 Applicants at UM seems large until you realize that most people apply to multiple schools, and to not get the numbers for number of applicants and number of applications mixed up, since there are obviously way more applications floating around than there are applicants.

I believe that far more than 12,000 people apply to dental school each year. The university of Maryland itself has over 2,000 applicants and NYU has close to 4,000 applicants per year. Acceptance into a dental program is closer to 5-10% of the applicant pool rather than 30%.

you honestly think only 5-10% of applicants get in?? they're not picking people to go up on the space shuttle... it's dental school. it is REALLY competitive but the number is definitely about 30-40%. and each applicant does apply to multiple schools. nyu said they have about 4000 applicants alone, but thats not to say that lots of schools don't have several thousand applications in their mailboxes too.

i estimate ~5% of total applicants get into d-school. about 10% of applicants get an interview, and about half of those interviewed get accepted.

USCbiograd said:

Your guys' numbers are way off. Its roughly 30-40% of the total applicants get accepted into dental school. You forget that possibly half of NYU's 4,000 applicants can be applicants to Maryland as well, so it could be only 3000 applicants there, not 6,000 unique individuals.

yea i think its like 4400 or something out of around 12000 applicants, so it's about 37%. those are the stats i've always seen anyway. it's more competitive than medical even. well good luck everybody!

clown college is the most competitive school out there

It's closer to 30% I believe. 12,000 Applicants, probably 120,000 Applications, since on average I think that people apply to about 10 schools each. It's not far more than that, since that is what the ADEA reports... The 2000 Applicants at UM seems large until you realize that most people apply to multiple schools, and to not get the numbers for number of applicants and number of applications mixed up, since there are obviously way more applications floating around than there are applicants.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I was only thinking about the admission chances to individual schools, not considering that students apply to multiple schools and enhance their chance of acceptance.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I was only thinking about the admission chances to individual schools, not considering that students apply to multiple schools and enhance their chance of acceptance.

ok, i didnt want to have to strike down upon thee with great vengence...:D