1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How much detail on Part I Boards??

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by doclm, May 12, 2008.

1. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hello All,

As I am currently studying for the 10% Gross Anatomy/Histology/Neuro section of the boards, I'm curious to how much detail is tested???? I have a rough guess to what type of material they may ask, but what about specifics?

Do you have to know all the specific parts of the brain (uncus, superior temporal gyri, transverse temporal gyri, precentral gyri, ect.) in relation to what funcional areas of the brain: like primary motor cortex, primary auditory cortex, ect. (association cortex, ect)

What about all the names of each crainal nerve nucleus, that derives a preganglionic fiber? What about all the pathways of the motor cortex like basal ganglia, or what about all the somatosensory tracts, corticospinal, corticobulbar, spinothalamic, ect??

Finally, any clue to how much detail of anatomy or histology to organs??

Just want some input on how much detail I should go into for this exam. Looking for feedback from people who have actually taken the test, not here say.

Also, if someone may have some insight into other sections of this exam that would be great.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. feetman

feetman ACFAS Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    hey buddy,

take a break and stop studying. :)

4. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey,

Thanks for the advice. I started studying last Friday and am about done with the Gross Anatomy section. I will start lower anatomy on Wed, and be done by Sun night, before we start school again next week.

Good to hear from you, don't worry about the material, it really doesn't take that long to cover.

Have a good trip and enjoy your break! :)

5. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just follow the NBPME outline from the bulletin you were provided. As you see, gross is only 10% (and that means questions from your gross + histo + neuroanat classes combined are only going to be about 15 TQs. That's relatively low yield, and they have to ask big picture topics of highest importance. Between the outline and using your head, you can basically figure out what's coming...

When you do study specifically for the gross section (I think I spent 2days or less on that alone), as you see in the outline, I'd focus mainly on the conronary circulation and valves, aorta and major branches (carotids, mesenterics, renal, etc). You also definitely want to know cranial nerves, major nerve trunks, spinal cord layers + landmarks, and reflex/dermatome levels (esp LEA). For histo, I guess you really want to know neutrophil chemotaxis, pacreatic secretions, etc.

For pt1 strategy overall, LEA and pathology will really be the highest yield IMO; if you think about it, basically everything is related to those subjects. It's a test of general knowledge, but it's still podiatry boards and will rep that material a bit more (DM and Rx, gout and Rx, bact/fungal infects and Abx/Afx, NSAIDs and opoids, etc). Micro and pharm are also high yield if you are good at rote memorization.

The "rapid review" section in the back of First Aid is pretty solid (esp for path/micro) and you should know that well by test day. GL

6. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your help, I think I'll move away from Gross Anatomy now and focus on LE Anatomy. ;)

7. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    don't forget to review osteology of LE.

Buzz words is also a big help for random questions that showed-up on my part 1 test.

8. cool_vkb

cool_vkb Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Who writes these boards questions? and how similar are they to USMLE stuff. coz i saw a USMLE step-1 book in library which said it can be used for COMLEX-1 and NBPME-1.

9. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The Podiatry professors submit a compiled group of questions that get picked to be in the NBPME board exams.

10. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are there Buzz words in the first aid USMLE guide for other subjects besides LE anatomy?? Is there a lot of detail to know about Osteology: specific tubercles, lines, articular surfaces? What about the type of cartilage: fibrocartilage vs. hyaline cartilage, or intracapsular vs. extracapsular?

Thanks

11. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Buzz words is a book.

By osteology I mean more of the ossification time-line of bones in the foot. Which ones are ossified at birth, which ones at 3, when do certain physes close?

12. Willcott

Willcott Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Great info, thanks a lot.

13. MurrayButler

MurrayButler Member
    5+ Year Member

I am with Feli on this one. I found it pretty much all to be LEA and path. I also recall some decent pharm questions on it. To be honest, I over-studied in a major way. If I had to do it over again, I would drop the professors' notes completely (except for the LEA handout of like 200 slides that Dr. B gave you) and go through the sections of the First Aid book and rapid review. In fact, I probably would really mainly focus on path and pharm in that book. I found the Gross stuff to be basic, the Biochem and Histo to be pretty much non-existant. Hope it helps! Good luck but you will smoke it no problem.

14. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The "Rapid review" section of First Aid that I suggested is all buzz words. You could buy a separate book, but it's your call....

15. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

16. Ah, don't worry, you'll be fine. Just count on some of the other schools smashing the curve into a small little bump that is barely noticable for you.

When you get to the test, just crawl over the tiny bump that remains.

17. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is the Physiology part of the Boards detailed?? I find myself reading through all of my class notes from the year before with formula's, graphs, and details. But am questioning how much detail are we expected to regurgitate for this exam???

Thanks for your responses...:thumbup: