How much do adcoms weigh stats (mcat/gpa) after interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rennyrenren

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

here are some of my stats

ORM, but disadvantaged. A lot of family issues. Immigrant from a village in Southeast Asia.
Mcat 502
Cgpa : 3.6 sgpa: 3.6
Great LORs
Great EC's
Two great research experience (was offered a scholarship, no publications yet)
Lots of physician shadowing and volunteer work

I was so excited to receive two MD and one DO interview invites, considering my sub-par stats. And I think the interview itself went very well, but I guess I'm just anxious because I'm worried my stats will still hold me back.

Members don't see this ad.

An interview doesn't magically make your stats irrelevant. But, if they invited you for an interview, they would consider you for a spot in the class. They will discuss your interview performance in the setting of your stats

100% agree.

At our Adcom meeting, stats get brought up, especially when the person is borderline. Sometime we take chances on people with stats that are marginal for us, but there are times we also say "Nice guy/gal, but I'm worried about that MCAT score".

If the Deans have a emphasis on MCAT scores or GPAs, they might overrule the Adcom even if the decision is accept.

For you, OP, just apply broadly.

An interview doesn't magically make your stats irrelevant. But, if they invited you for an interview, they would consider you for a spot in the class. They will discuss your interview performance in the setting of your stats

Members don't see this ad :)
100% agree.

At our Adcom meeting, stats get brought up, especially when the person is borderline. Sometime we take chances on people with stats that are marginal for us, but there are times we also say "Nice guy/gal, but I'm worried about that MCAT score".

If the Deans have a emphasis on MCAT scores or GPAs, they might overrule the Adcom even if the decision is accept.

Does it ever get awkward when the Dean overrides adcom and accepts or rejects someone?

Awkward, no.

Annoying as hell, yes.

Does it ever cause harm to the student in the case the dean overrides and accepts a student that gets rejected by adcom? I know at my program the Dean accepted two people initially placed on waitlist and the other rejected after they contacted the Dean (happy for them and I like that policy/option but wondering how the adcom feels in these situations and how it affects students, rare but I understand it does happen)

Goro, my stats were not brought up during my first interview. I kind of tried explaining it but the interviewers were not really concerned about my MCAT. My second interview was a blind MMI interview, so it wasn't brought up either. So that's why I'm kind of worried, I'm not sure how much it will weight considering a good interview.

100% agree.

If your stats weren't brought up, what are you worried about???

Goro, my stats were not brought up during my first interview. I kind of tried explaining it but the interviewers were not really concerned about my MCAT. My second interview was a blind MMI interview, so it wasn't brought up either. So that's why I'm kind of worried, I'm not sure how much it will weight considering a good interview.

I don't see how this matters. You got an interview, and there's really nothing you can do now. Just relax, wait, and see what happens. Admissions is different for every school. I bombed an interview and worried about it for a while but yet still received an acceptance. I came to realize there's really no point in worrying.

It really just depends on the school, and you can't really change your numbers at this point. Be patient and you'll get your answer soon.