About the Ads

Pastamahn

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
As an undergrad I have never studied over summer. As the last poster said, just worry about working to make some money and enjoying the summer when you can. Studying over summer does basically nothing, anyways.

RespectTheChemistry19

5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
I will usually look over the first few chapters of my textbooks a couple days before classes start to lighten my load a bit that first week.

Otherwise, I really don't study much at all over the summer.

Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Not at all.
I did have a friend from Japan that would study all of his course material in great depth during the summer and when he was in school during the fall/winter he'd do f*ck all.

Jul 29, 2015
My freshmen year summer I read the entire 1200 page biology textbook, just for fun though, not to get ahead. I think that's when I knew I wanted to major in biology/ become a physician. Yes I am a nerd haha

Reactions: Siroucity

takeurmeds02

5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I will usually look over the first few chapters of my textbooks a couple days before classes start to lighten my load a bit that first week.

Otherwise, I really don't study much at all over the summer.
^this is probably the most you need ever do for undergrad. Enjoy your summer. It keeps you from burning out prematurely during the semester.

getdown

7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Why would you study ahead? You just end up studying it wrong and then get all confused and having to relearn it.

About the Ads

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
None really.. What is there to study if you don't take summer classes? When it comes to for the MCAT I probably will though.
During summer I dedicate myself to volunteering A LOT
this summer I average 10-12 a week.. Makes me sick.. I feel inadequate, like a total loser.. I didn't do enough!!
Next summer I want to average 30-40 a week, and do research as well

star-lily

5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm studying my chemistry textbook far ahead, but only because the class is notoriously difficult at my school (for most people). P:

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Here's a fun story about going way too far:

I'm tutoring this kid in grade 12 chem (last year of HS for non-Canadians) daily until classes start. Every day I ask him what he did last night, and he says "review questions from the unit we covered yesterday". When I asked him how he did in grade 11 chem he said "I got a 90... I usually do a lot better, that's why I need tutoring". Some people (and their parents) are just nuts.

Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Personally, I worked throughout every summer and would come home fairly exhausted.

Didn't do any studying. Instead, I would read for fun.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I study better ways to SLEEP ALL DAY EVERYDAY! I love sleep. Its precious to me.
I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Here's a fun story about going way too far:

I'm tutoring this kid in grade 12 chem (last year of HS for non-Canadians) daily until classes start. Every day I ask him what he did last night, and he says "review questions from the unit we covered yesterday". When I asked him how he did in grade 11 chem he said "I got a 90... I usually do a lot better, that's why I need tutoring". Some people (and their parents) are just nuts.
Only people with 4.0's go to a good college and get a good job. That's just a tiger parent fact.

Reactions: gothicfoxes

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
None really.. What is there to study if you don't take summer classes? When it comes to for the MCAT I probably will though.
this summer I average 10-12 a week.. Makes me sick.. I feel inadequate, like a total loser.. I didn't do enough!!
Omg you call yourself a premed, only doing 12 hours a week??

Reactions: allantois

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I stopped watching interviews with Trump since your trolling of SDN

Reactions: Meeehai

snowflakes

7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I was productive over my summers, but not by pre-studying for my upcoming classes, which I think is a waste of time in undergrad.

Strudel19

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I tried doing that the summer before Orgo. Realized it was stupid and stopped. One thing I did do is rewatch the shotgun histo series to help out with TAing. Maybe took just over an hour?

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I stopped watching interviews with Trump since your trolling of SDN
I go to the best school in the country, I'm really really smart! You know how? I got 10 freaking million in the bank!! /sarcasm

About the Ads