How much math did you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontwakeme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering completing all of the basic undergrad math courses (up to diffeq), but I'm not sure if its worth the added stress considering most dental schools only require a year or two. On the other hand, I feel that taking a lot of calc will help me for physics.

I do enjoy math a lot, but I'm just not sure if its worth it. Will it add any thing to my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering completing all of the basic undergrad math courses (up to diffeq), but I'm not sure if its worth the added stress considering most dental schools only require a year or two. On the other hand, I feel that taking a lot of calc will help me for physics.

I do enjoy math a lot, but I'm just not sure if its worth it. Will it add any thing to my application?

it probably wouldnt add anything to your application. upper level bio classes would probably strengthen your application more than math classes.

Sure it will add to your application... that is, if you do well in those courses. Many of those who review your application haven't taken linear alg, diff eq, abstract, or anything higher. They probably won't understand the inanity of working through proofs, but they will recognize it's difficulty. I had to explain what econometrics,and adv macro theory were to one of my interviewers - he genuinely had no idea what they were, and why I thought they were helpful in "flowcharting" the progression of information. He learned something new, and I had something to offer.

If you're still an undergrad, do what interests you. Plenty of people from non bio backgrounds do just fine in d-school. You don't have to take biochem, physiology, or immunology. It may make life easier for you when you see it again in d-school down the road, but you'll be more well rounded spending your time elsewhere.

I took up to diff eq and trust me. If dentistry is your dream and goal, you really don't need to waste your time on all those math classes. All it did for me was take up time that I could've used to focus on my bio classes! Unfortunately for my major, however, all those math classes were required...... booooo.... :(

Actually, I was worried because I didn't do too well in diff eq. I asked a med school admissions person (i was premed) if the poor grade in diff eq would affect my chances, and he said no. hahaha