How much orgo will there really be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course I know you all aren't omniscient BUT I was looking around the AAMC website trying to figure out what topics would be covered on the April 05 MCAT and I couldn't find it, where is it!?!? :confused:

I'm struggling right now with my O-Chem. and with the amount of time left I want to narrow it down to the essentials. So, if anyone can give me advice on what to stress, etc. I would appreciate it sooooooo much!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

AliZ said:
Of course I know you all aren't omniscient BUT I was looking around the AAMC website trying to figure out what topics would be covered on the April 05 MCAT and I couldn't find it, where is it!?!? :confused:

I'm struggling right now with my O-Chem. and with the amount of time left I want to narrow it down to the essentials. So, if anyone can give me advice on what to stress, etc. I would appreciate it sooooooo much!! :D

there is a list of topics on the AAMC website for all the different sections. Look through that. that should give a good idea of what to expect for OCHEM.

I agree, check out the list at the AAMC site. On my MCAT version, I had 4 organic passages (so ~28 questions), with some free-standing organic questions, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Friends of mine who took it last year said it was an 80/20 split in favor of bio.

If your question is how much of the test will be organic, the answer is, not much. Of the eleven passages in the biological sciences section, an average of approximately three are o-chem, versus eight biology. 7/4 and 9/2 splits also happen. Others could, too, but we rarely see that. I personally saw 8/3 and 9/2 last year.

Breakdown of the fifteen free-standing questions will be similarly weighted toward biology.

Shrike
TPR physics, verbal, bio

i must have had the 3 org passage version b/c i seem to remember a fair amount of organic on it.... i remember a stand alone question regarding assigning protons in an nmr spectra (i think it was something like, if atoms marked with * on the molecule shown were made with deuterium, how many peaks would you see) or something like that, plus one passage with some curved arrow mechanisms

Oye Vey, looks like another subject I'll need to stress on while I study! Ah well. :rolleyes:

I wish they had more Organic than Physics. It would make sense for them to do that, and it would be much easier.

Physics blows -- Organic rules.

DoctorSaab said:
I wish they had more Organic than Physics. It would make sense for them to do that, and it would be much easier.
Maybe AAMC thinks it relevant that that would be much easier for most applicants. Physics is an interesting test -- something everyone applying to med school should have studied, but few ever cared about. Ability at this point in your career to handle physics tells them something about you that questions about biology, or something else you can be expected to know and more or less love, doesn't.

Maybe AAMC thinks it relevant that that would be much easier for most applicants. Physics is an interesting test -- something everyone applying to med school should have studied, but few ever cared about. Ability at this point in your career to handle physics tells them something about you that questions about biology, or something else you can be expected to know and more or less love, doesn't.

Perhaps.

dr1day said:
Friends of mine who took it last year said it was an 80/20 split in favor of bio.

that sounds about right to me. my test was mostly bio, but with a few orgo questions thrown in and then a couple of purely orgo passages at the end. but you should learn it anyway. know that aldol condensation!!

Not as much organic as I thought, and definitely less organic than any other given major topic (bio, physics, gen chem or VR). Still, you should be good with it, but if you have a weakness, it's probably the one that will hurt you the least.