How much pre-clinical information do you still remember, ie. Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
embryology is very important for understanding cardiac pathology, knowing how tetralogy of fallot occurs, understanding atrial and ventricular septal defect, and the physiologic effects they have on blood flow, understanding the origins of cor pulmonale and patent ductus
understanding embryology for gi makes you understand why the gi vessels are distributed the way they are. relevant for ischemic damage at the splenic flexure, understanding why things happen like volvulus, omphalocele, gastroschisis, all of the various hernias
understanding embryology is key for understanding a lot of cns pathology such as hydrocephalus, pharyngeal arches and all the problems that can occur such as digeorge syndrome, arnold chiari malformation

just rotate through peds and you'll see how relevant embryology is to life. then these embryologic problems go through to adulthood because we're doing a better job of keeping people alive so there will be things that are relevant in every field

man i got **** to do but you don't even understand how stupid you sound when you say embryology is a waste of time

my god. you don't even know what you don't know

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I see... It is a VERY small portion of my anatomy class. Most people that I talk to in my class don't really spend time on it that much... Then again, I heard one student went to administration and complain about that; I hope they don't change anything about the # of embryo questions they put on these exams...

Med school can have some weird people... I know a MS2 student that went and complain to administration because of a high average (I heard it was 88) in a pathology exam... He said the exam was too easy... This guy and his girlfriend study 14-16 hours/day according to people who know them...
People like that deserve to be publicly shamed and humiliated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see... It is a VERY small portion of my anatomy class. Most people that I talk to in my class don't really spend time on it that much... Then again, I heard one student went to administration and complain about that; I hope they don't change anything about the # of embryo questions they put on these exams...

Med school can have some weird people... I know a MS2 student that went and complain to administration because of a high average (I heard it was 88) in a pathology exam... He said the exam was too easy... This guy and his girlfriend study 14-16 hours/day according to people who know them...
16 hours a day of studying? What's the point of having a girlfriend if you don't even have time to fool around?

I agree, but that guy is definitely a weirdo...
To think I used to complain (internally) about certain concepts/topics in First Aid not covered in class. Those people blow me out of the water.

16 hours a day of studying? What's the point of having a girlfriend if you don't even have time to fool around?
She's probably like that too. And quickies don't take long.

They are both MS2 and live together... My school rank every single exam and I heard if both of them are not top 5 in every exam, they freak out...

embryology is very important for understanding cardiac pathology, knowing how tetralogy of fallot occurs, understanding atrial and ventricular septal defect, and the physiologic effects they have on blood flow, understanding the origins of cor pulmonale and patent ductus
understanding embryology for gi makes you understand why the gi vessels are distributed the way they are. relevant for ischemic damage at the splenic flexure, understanding why things happen like volvulus, omphalocele, gastroschisis, all of the various hernias
understanding embryology is key for understanding a lot of cns pathology such as hydrocephalus, pharyngeal arches and all the problems that can occur such as digeorge syndrome, arnold chiari malformation

just rotate through peds and you'll see how relevant embryology is to life. then these embryologic problems go through to adulthood because we're doing a better job of keeping people alive so there will be things that are relevant in every field

man i got **** to do but you don't even understand how stupid you sound when you say embryology is a waste of time

Then teach the relevant embryology concepts with GI or whatever. Teaching it as a standalone class is pointless because I have no context for understanding, let alone committing it to memory.

Then teach the relevant embryology concepts with GI or whatever. Teaching it as a standalone class is pointless because I have no context for understanding, let alone committing it to memory.
Embryology is one of those things that fits well as organ systems bc defects in embryology result in Pathology ---> gastroschisis, omphalocele, Tetralogy of Fallot, endocardial cushion defects in Downs, etc.

Only an MS-2 but I've really enjoyed learning most things (edit:and think they are important) throughout the pre-clinical years.. My problem is I don't feel like I am retaining it. :/ Three weeks of a massive pile of notes... Test... Another three weeks of a massive pile of notes... Test... Repeat... I don't know how it's even possible to remember these things four years down the road..

Guess I'm ******. :(

Med students are ....! Because of that student who complained about the # of embryo questions, now we will have 15 questions of embryology (25%) in our next anatomy exam. Why med students are so selfish?

Members don't see this ad :)

I would argue against all that. Currently on inpatient pediatrics and embyrology comes up only in lectures for the shelf exam. The vast majority of management and diagnosis comes down to basic physiology, not embryology. No one is discussing embryological accidents on the floors. Everyone who has graduate medical school knows the jist of the story "the heart folds and **** and that's what happens". Any level of detail past that is inconsequential to patient care and management.

Physiology is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far more important than knowing any embryology. The management of childhood cardiac diseases follows physiologic principles and the anatomy particular to that specific child. No one cares that you know what step in cardiac folding went awry in the Tetralogy of Fallot.

Med students are ....! Because of that student who complained about the # of embryo questions, now we will have 15 questions of embryology (25%) in our next anatomy exam. Why med students are so selfish?
You ever see the movie Full Metal Jacket? There's this thing called a blanket party. You should find the student and throw him a blanket party.

A hell of a lot more than You might expect. Some of it I use regularly, some of it is just trivia floating around in my head. A lot of it falls somewhere in the middle: not used on a regular basis, but available for the odd occasion when it comes in handy.

Which is why I cringe a bit when first/second year med students whine about how useless it is to work so hard to memorize/understand "useless" things. Yes, there is some level of detail you may never have to encounter again in many subjects, but depending on the field you choose, many things will come back to haunt you if you didn't master it in medical school.

to be fair, derm as a field emphasizes the basic sciences more than most specialties

Understanding embryology is useful but not that relevant to patient care. It's probably more relevant to understanding congenital heart defects; it is also relevant in terms of intellectual gratification. Embryology is important but not as important as you are making it sound. I just took the peds shelf. Pathophysiology, anatomy and pharm are much much more important.

Guys, Psai said embryology is important so it must be important. I mean otherwise he would be pissing his life away studying minutiae, and that's just incomprehensible.

Embyro was like free points to me on our anatomy exams. It just really clicked for some reason. Knew it cold for step 1, too.

Then 6 months later I've completely and 100% entirely forgotten just about all of it, other than ecto/meso/edo and some of the organs coming from each one. Just finished peds rotation and there wasn't a single step2 uworld question on the subject, IIRC. Pretty useless info

teratogens are definitely useful though...

I would argue against all that. Currently on inpatient pediatrics and embyrology comes up only in lectures for the shelf exam. The vast majority of management and diagnosis comes down to basic physiology, not embryology. No one is discussing embryological accidents on the floors. Everyone who has graduate medical school knows the jist of the story "the heart folds and **** and that's what happens". Any level of detail past that is inconsequential to patient care and management.

Physiology is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far more important than knowing any embryology. The management of childhood cardiac diseases follows physiologic principles and the anatomy particular to that specific child. No one cares that you know what step in cardiac folding went awry in the Tetralogy of Fallot.

If you only want to know details relevant for patient care and management, you're in the wrong field
No one is saying that other things aren't more important. I'm saying that it's not completely useless which was the assertion

I guess this is very field specific but I was just in the hospital the other night shadowing and literally the first case I saw was a truncus arteriosis. :shrug:

I guess this is very field specific but I was just in the hospital the other night shadowing and literally the first case I saw was a truncus arteriosis. :shrug:
And how much did it help to know what caused it versus how to surgically treat it?

And how much did it help to know what caused it versus how to surgically treat it?

Damn, dude. If you don't want to learn about the pathogenesis of disease then drop out and start learning algorithms in nursing school.

Honestly what did you expect medical school to be like? You think you can just get that six figure salary you worship so much by telling parents "I have no idea what's going on here, but let me cut open your child because I totally know how to fix it"?

Reactions: 2 users
Anatomy was probably my least favorite subject because I found it boring and I'm doing psychiatry so its not like I have been honing my anatomy and I basically assumed I had forgot it all. But I'm always surprised how much stuff feels like common sense to me now that I would have had no idea of before. Went to one of those preserved body exhibits with my wife who loves science but isn't in medicine, I easily answered pretty much anything she was curious about and could spout off hours of random trivia. Practically was giving a tour to a group of tourists, which is completely not my personality because I never talk about medicine outside of work, but their questions just seemed so damn trivial I couldnt resist haha

Reactions: 1 users
I'd argue...it not the specific facts (the things you are tested on) from the first two years of med school that are important, rather it's the understanding you gain of the basic principles of medicine. You will forget details but will remember concepts.

Damn, dude. If you don't want to learn about the pathogenesis of disease then drop out and start learning algorithms in nursing school.

Honestly what did you expect medical school to be like? You think you can just get that six figure salary you worship so much by telling parents "I have no idea what's going on here, but let me cut open your child because I totally know how to fix it"?
No, I'm all for knowing the pathogenesis of disease. How does knowing the embryological processes that caused the defect in any way contribute to or benefit the surgical plan?

Now I have to study for embryology because of a classmate who is gung-ho about knowing minutiae... I hate med school!:(

Last edited: