How much shadowing time is adequate for allied professional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucyandlola

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a 25 y/o new grad, practicing as a physical therapist for about six months now. I have had inklings of urges to look into pursuing medical school following PT school for about a year now after my rotation at a hospital. I looked up to the physicians, admiring their knowledge and skill set and how they are able to help guide a patient's care so well.

I'm a lifelong learner, already feeling the itch to return to the classroom, and I feel that there is more I can be doing with myself rather than where I am now (in an outpatient facility). I want a fast paced environment, I love medicine and wish to learn all that I can about it in addition to what I already know, and I have always had a big heart to help serve others as much as I can; I am not happy with where I am in the rehab field.

I've been researching some requirements for admission to several MD/DO programs and they stress shadowing. I had an opportunity to spend three different days with different physicians in the operating room during one of my rotations. Would that suffice for volunteer hours, or if this is something I actively pursue, should I try to obtain more? If I had to obtain more, I feel I would struggle to find time to do so due to my full-time work schedule at this time, so I most likely cannot get more than those few hours. Looking for any advice on this process. I appreciate any opinions and advice, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I had about 35 shadowing hours in multiple specialities. Most people recommend at least 50 hours, but I honestly think it’s more about the quality of those hours and what you learned from them than the number. Have a good story to tell from your time shadowing that demonstrates your understanding of and commitment to medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
As a nurse I applied with essentially 0 hours of true shadowing since high school.

Not a single school brought it up.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds hit or miss. Have a DO friend who was a CCRN got questioned why he didn't shadow or volunteer in a clinical setting, and some people say it didn't come up.

I'm going to cover my bases and make sure those boxes are checked.