How Much Volunteer Work is Reasonable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsprague12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently volunteer at a temporary home for sick children while they participate in studies at NIH. However, I only volunteer for about 6-7 hours/month. I'm thinking this is not enough. I've tried finding opportunities at local hospitals but haven't had any success since I can really only do weekends. So, is 6-7 hours a month enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's too little per month, but some schools might focus more on numbers and/or research so it might be enough to get you in. I would focus not on the total number of hours, but the quality of the volunteer experience. Most hospitals have volunteer departments or maybe you could join a non-medically related volunteer group that meets on the weekends. Good luck.

nockamura said:
I think that's too little per month, but some schools might focus more on numbers and/or research so it might be enough to get you in. I would focus not on the total number of hours, but the quality of the volunteer experience. Most hospitals have volunteer departments or maybe you could join a non-medically related volunteer group that meets on the weekends. Good luck.

I agree with nockamura--the quality of your volunteer experience and the lessons you can take away from it (and recite to adcoms of course) are probably more important than the sheer number of hours. I volunteered for less than 100 hours total, but felt that the inferences about medicine I was able to make as a result of the experience more than made up for it in the minds of my interviewers. I certainly do not feel like it was a hindrance to my application.

As far as weekend volunteering, if local emergency rooms aren't a possibility, maybe you could try volunteering in a home-care situation? I would imagine that many stay-home caretakers of the developmentally disabled would welcome a volunteer coming in and relieving them for a few hours on the weekend. Keep looking and feel free to step outside of medicine when volunteering--as long as you have a genuine interest in the experience, it will enhance your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
The home were you are volunteering, is it on the NIH campus? I am only asking because I contract work at NIH, and am constantly looking for more volunteer oppurtunities. Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks

sweettelle said:
The home were you are volunteering, is it on the NIH campus? I am only asking because I contract work at NIH, and am constantly looking for more volunteer oppurtunities. Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks

It's called the Children's Inn. It's on the North end of the main Bethesda campus across from the new Clinical Center.

dsprague12 said:
I currently volunteer at a temporary home for sick children while they participate in studies at NIH. However, I only volunteer for about 6-7 hours/month. I'm thinking this is not enough. I've tried finding opportunities at local hospitals but haven't had any success since I can really only do weekends. So, is 6-7 hours a month enough?

I think it's okay *IF* you're getting something out of it. Tell one of your friends about what you do. Ask if you seem excited, if your eyes shine when you talk about it. Do you see things that move you? Sadden you? Make you more interested in medicine? It's not a merit badge--it's to show you have some community interest and give you enough exposure to medicine and patient care to know what you're getting into.

....is the most valuable type. I was having a little trouble finding a good volunteership, untill I found a small muslim charity free clinic staffed with volunteer physicians. I am able to work as a medical assistant, under the supervision of the full time MA's and have 4-6 hours a week direct contact with a family physician. There also is a little bit of time to discuss career type stuff with him directly. This has been a very valuable experience.