How much will a weak LOR hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalJedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have a huge number of shadowing hours, and they're split between a few dentists. But since a couple schools require a letter from a dentist, I asked one of them to write me a LOR. She agreed, and while I don't think she had anything bad to say about me, she also doesn't know me very well, so it might be a little weak. I have a 3.9 sGPA, 3.92 BCP, and 3.94 cGPA, with AA/TS/PAT 21 20 19. In terms of ECs I have been president of an organization on campus, about 100 volunteer hours, 4 years of research with 2 national presentations and one international. So how much do you guys think the low shadowing hours/ 1 weak rec will hurt me? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a huge number of shadowing hours, and they're split between a few dentists. But since a couple schools require a letter from a dentist, I asked one of them to write me a LOR. She agreed, and while I don't think she had anything bad to say about me, she also doesn't know me very well, so it might be a little weak. I have a 3.9 sGPA, 3.92 BCP, and 3.94 cGPA, with AA/TS/PAT 21 20 19. In terms of ECs I have been president of an organization on campus, about 100 volunteer hours, 4 years of research with 2 national presentations and one international. So how much do you guys think the low shadowing hours/ 1 weak rec will hurt me? Thanks for the help.

You should create a pre-dents profile, that way you won't have to keep entering all that stuff.

You should provide her with enough info to write a strong one. If she has any experience writing letters, she'll know how to make it good.

You should create a pre-dents profile, that way you won't have to keep entering all that stuff.

You should provide her with enough info to write a strong one. If she has any experience writing letters, she'll know how to make it good.

I keep meaning to make one but I haven't gotten around to it. I gave her most of my information, but she already sent the letter in. My app has been done for a while so I'm just wondering how much will effect my chances for interviews. I have one but it's at Midwestern, which seems like it interviews a lot of people.