how much will this help me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCB student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the first person in my family to attend college. My dad never completed high school and my mom never completed elementary school. If you were part of the admissions committee, how much of a factor would this be for you? Honest opinions are most appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UCB student said:
I am the first person in my family to attend college. My dad never completed high school and my mom never completed elementary school. If you were part of the admissions committee, how much of a factor would this be for you? Honest opinions are most appreciated, thanks!

yeah I am in the same shoes.. first one in college... well, first one to complete/get a degree soon.. and my parents are from Vietnam and came over to the U.S. when they were like 16/18 so they never had an education.. maybe elementary but that was all in vietnamese... I was wondering that too... but not sure..

i dont think that means much, if at all. if anything, people who have parents who graduated from major universities/ actual dentists or doctors would have more favorable view in the eyes of adcoms.

think about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It definitely won't hurt you, but at the same time, I really can't see it making a significant difference since there are at least a dozen qualities that are more important.

polarnut said:
i dont think that means much, if at all. if anything, people who have parents who graduated from major universities/ actual dentists or doctors would have more favorable view in the eyes of adcoms.

think about it.

I believe UCLA and UCSF are very progressive toward creating an equal society without hierarchies. They are likely to view you favorably and realize that you are able to connect with socioeconomically disadvantaged patients.

The downside about not having parents who are dentist is that the adcom may feel you do not truly understand the profession. If you demonstrate to them that you know what dentistry entails, that ought to be okay.

Thanks for your honest question.

I would think most public schools will see that as an advantage. Not too sure about other public schools since I have not received their secondaries, but UCSF and UCLA will definitely give that as a plus. They have specific questions towards that direction. It makes sense since it'd be harder for you guys to achieve what you have today. You should be proud of yourself. :thumbup:

UCB student said:

First off, I admire you for taking that step to further your education - kudos! Yes, I think it might make a difference to some adcoms as some secondaries ask you if you are the first to attend college and so on. How much it matters is something else all together and depends on each adcom.