• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

How much money do you expect to make each year?

• Below $100K

Votes: 13 3.7%
  • $100-$150K

Votes: 50 14.2%
  • $150-$200K

Votes: 68 19.3%
  • $200-$250K

Votes: 86 24.4%
  • $250-$300K

Votes: 36 10.2%
  • $300-$400K

Votes: 29 8.2%
  • $400-$500K

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • More than $500K

Votes: 60 17.0%

• Total voters

Towelie

Resident Towel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
Not how much $ you WANT to make. How much $ do you THINK you will make once your career gets started.

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
$50k starting...then work up to 100k maybe?

About the Ads

KaraKiz

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
its all about the benjamins baby. over $500,000. I've got my eye on a Ferrari. :D

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
its all about the benjamins baby. over $500,000. I've got my eye on a Ferrari. :D

haha, the day I see a ferrari parked in my driveway will be one of the happiest days of my life.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I'm staying on the safe side, since I don't know what kind of residency I will be able to land in the future. I am therefore assuming that I will land a primary care specialty (gen med/internal med/pediatrics).

If that's how it goes, I will be making ~45/50K during residency and about 100-150K afterwards.

That is my worst case scenario, I'm sticking with it for now.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Actually, that is more like a best case scenario.

I looked at averages of residency salaries in my home state for primary care specialties, which is where I'll probably end up practicing. They start at ~43K and go up by about 1K/year, so you can end up making up to 48-50K in some cases (depending on the length of residency).

Trance Ninja

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
haha, the day I see a ferrari parked in my driveway will be one of the happiest days of my life.

maaannnn ferrari's are neato, but I will have to be sticking with an rx7 with a corvette motor... with enough money poured into it that I should have just gotten a ferrari :p

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
big.jpg

ferrari-f430-1.jpg

Which one do you guys like more?

Our day will come.

KaraKiz

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I also want a Chevelle SS - but you only need 15K, maybe 20, to fix up one of those. Still, how awesome would that be to drive around? I would NEVER enter a burn out contest tho. Even if I could afford new tires. :D

About the Ads

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm staying on the safe side, since I don't know what kind of residency I will be able to land in the future. I am therefore assuming that I will land a primary care specialty (gen med/internal med/pediatrics).

If that's how it goes, I will be making ~45/50K during residency and about 100-150K afterwards.

That was the logic behind my vote too.

And the family practice residency at UT-H pays like this:
Resident Salaries 2005- 2006:

* Post-Graduate Year 1: $38,115
* Post-Graduate Year 2: $38,856
* Post-Graduate Year 3: $40,346

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
That was the logic behind my vote too.

And the family practice residency at UT-H pays like this:
Resident Salaries 2005- 2006:

* Post-Graduate Year 1: $38,115
* Post-Graduate Year 2: $38,856
* Post-Graduate Year 3: $40,346

Most of the ones I looked at were Internal Med, so I guess it is a little higher than Family Practice.

I am actually surprised at how many people think they'll be making 200-250K right off the bat.

TSK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I don't think ppl are under the impression that this is what they'll be making in residency. Given the ranges, it's kinda assumed that the poll refers to post residency/once we've been in our respective fields and established ourselves.

Most of the ones I looked at were Internal Med, so I guess it is a little higher than Family Practice.

I am actually surprised at how many people think they'll be making 200-250K right off the bat.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I don't think ppl are under the impression that this is what they'll be making in residency. Given the ranges, it's kinda assumed that the poll refers to post residency/once we've been in our respective fields and established ourselves.

And that's exactly what I meant: post-residency initial salary.

narc

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
$500K and nothing less. I need that Ferrari/Porsche to be happy.

About the Ads

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Which one do you guys like more?

Our day will come.

SOO Glad someone else out there shares my taste for beautiful cars.

I had the pleasure of seeing a few Ferraris and Lamborghinis in the Outer Banks, NC this summer. Although the ragtop 360 and bright yellow gallardo were near the top, I have to shoot for the Ferrari 575 Maranello.

The guy that has it owns a place in VA Beach (63rd st. if you wanna look at it) and told me he gets a kick when he takes it to the gas station and people ask him what the hell it is.. He points at the bucking horse and tells them its a Mustang :laugh:

While I have no idea how much I'm going to end up making, you can be damn sure that at least I'll have a sleek Porsche in the garage.

KaraKiz

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I had the pleasure of seeing a few Ferraris and Lamborghinis in the Outer Banks, NC this summer.

Hey, I was in the Outer Banks this summer too! At Holden Beach. Not a whole lot going on in Holden Beach. I'm sad we didn't get a chance to go to the big alligator farm in SC. It wasn't that far away. And we missed Utan, the 28-foot "hybrid" alligator.. 28 FEET - thats HUGE!

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental

I had the pleasure of seeing a few Ferraris and Lamborghinis in the Outer Banks, NC this summer. Although the ragtop 360 and bright yellow gallardo were near the top, I have to shoot for the Ferrari 575 Maranello.

The guy that has it owns a place in VA Beach (63rd st. if you wanna look at it) and told me he gets a kick when he takes it to the gas station and people ask him what the hell it is.. He points at the bucking horse and tells them its a Mustang :laugh:

While I have no idea how much I'm going to end up making, you can be damn sure that at least I'll have a sleek Porsche in the garage.

hilarious. It makes me wonder though, how the hell can you NOT know what a ferrari let alone mistake it for a mustang LOL. To me ferrari's are the pinnacle of beauty, gotta love those curves:cool:

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
hilarious. It makes me wonder though, how the hell can you NOT know what a ferrari let alone mistake it for a mustang LOL. To me ferrari's are the pinnacle of beauty, gotta love those curves:cool:

You'd be surprised... A lot of people I've been around aren't able to name any of the exotics they see - most just turn their heads and follow up with a "sweeeet"

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm banking on 125k to start in a primary care situation/hospitalist. More would obviously be better (150k for instance). After that, everything is gravy.

Definitely in the 40's for residency. I realize that it is the very low 40's right now, but 4 years from now it may be up a little.

E

Eric Lindros

I'm working for free. I know it's just going to be too much fun to accept payment.

About the Ads

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

The happiest day of my life:

the day that im so damn rich that I buy a ferrari for my dog because he likes the color red. It'll just sit there and collect dust until he decides to drive it. Hey, its his choice.

Navicular

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Where is Law2Doc and dutchman...

They need to give their doomsday prediction about our future income... :rolleyes:

KaraKiz

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The happiest day of my life:

the day that im so damn rich that I buy a ferrari for my dog because he likes the color red. It'll just sit there and collect dust until he decides to drive it. Hey, its his choice.

If I am reincarnated, I hope its as some rich person's cute little dog. Thats the life...

ICCONFETTI

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
do you really think 15% of future physicians will be making 500k$$$+????????

dutchman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc

Yes, stick with it for now, because it could get a whole lot worse than that in the future.

I am assuming this thread is not talking about medicine, because the 500K responses might be from some "I-bankers" that sneaked in their votes.

dutchman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Where is Law2Doc and dutchman...

They need to give their doomsday prediction about our future income... :rolleyes:

You can avoid that doomsday if you learn how to fight for yourself. If not, that doomsday is almost garaunteed.

M

Mr. McDuck

I'm assuming you mean after residency for this too, even though you quoted the residency salaries. Usually, salaries are the same institution-wide, regardless of specialty. At least, that's what I've seen. Perhaps it's different in the places you looked.

bretticus

IR/NeuroIR attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm guessing by the time I get out (7-10 years) it will be between $200k-250k for most specialties I'm looking at. Primary care looks scary... :scared:

dutchman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I'm guessing by the time I get out (7-10 years) it will be between $200k-250k for most specialties I'm looking at. Primary care looks scary... :scared:

primary care is not quite done. If we go to a socialized system, expect primary care be the only folks to see a slight increase in pay. Everyone else besides plastics, will pretty much sink.

Towelie

Resident Towel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
primary care is not quite done. If we go to a socialized system, expect primary care be the only folks to see a slight increase in pay. Everyone else besides plastics, will pretty much sink.

Don't forget derm, and very specialized surgery.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

This is very unlikely to happen in our lifetime. So I wouldn't consider that when picking specialties.

dutchman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Don't forget derm, and very specialized surgery.

No socialized system in the world has ever payed dermatologists good money. Dermatologists are enjoying an artificially created demand right now. In a socialized sytem they can kiss that good bye.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.