how often do med students party?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timduncanswife

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, there were some threads asking how often do med students study and how stressful is med school and what not. But what I want to know is how often do med students party? I mean can you still go out as much as you did in undergrad? or is partying just reserved for post-exam occasions? I realize that responses will vary depending on where one goes to school and of course individual personalities, but I would like to hear different viewpoints on this subject.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of my classmates feel they partied slightly MORE than in undergrad - either b/c their undergrad place wasn't so fun, or b/c they were anal premeds always studying all the time, and now they've given themselves permission to relax and have fun, now that P=MD and there's not the big GPA pressures there are to get into med school.

I probably averaged 1-2 nights out a week (fri, sat) the 1st two years, but there were many more opportunies I skipped out on - for some, parties and happy hours were the norm even on weeknights at my school, except if it was the week before an exam. Third year, most people were too busy to go out quite that much on the busy rotations, and social life calmed to earlier nights of dinner with friends and early happy hours. Except on those end-of-rotation weekends where there were huge class parties. Fourth year, party all the time, at least for the second half of the year - there were months where I drank more days of the month than I did not drink.

It does depend on your med school. At a friend's med school, she says no one ever goes out and parties, even fourth year...and she's misserable there. When you interview, ask the students how often they party/what they do for fun/how often they workout - whatever is importatnt to you. If you ask enough people, you'll get a feel for if it's a place that would fit the lifestyle you want.

Isn't class time and lecture a party enough for you. What else could you want.

Actually, at SUNY Buffalo our schedule works out great 4-5 lecture and 4-6 hours of studying leaves time to party.

I party 2 times a week (meaning going out to bars and stuff)

AK

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to party with a bunch of dorky, anal med students who you see everyday in class anyway? The thing to do is to find cool, normal people outside of med school to hang out with.

I drank alot my first year, except for around exams (id stop about 3-4 days before the exam). Atleast 3 nights a week Id say.

It was about 50% with classmates and 50% friends outside of school, @clubs I was playing, etc etc.

Def. important to party it up, for me it helps me stay sane hehehe

How much do med students party?

I can't speak for everyone, but in my class it's waaaaaaaaaay more than any of us expected!!!

A number of my classmates say they go out a lot more than they did as undergrads, and we're talking really social people here, not your undergrad who lived in the library all four years of college. Plus, I'm at Duke, where we only do one year of basic science! It just goes to show you that med school isn't nearly as bad as people expect. There's plenty of time to do what you want to do...it's just a matter of choosing priorities and doing things within reason.

My class seems to be completely, annoyingly bent on having "social events." The student government has made it their mission to get everybody partying. I therefore have classmates who seem to party just about every night.

It really depends on your school/class and whether you have non med student friends where you go to school. During undergrad I partied all the time, at least 2-4 nights a week. You will probably have to ease up a little, at least during certain times i.e. pretest, etc. Its more timing than anything.

I'd say our school (USC) parties moderately (to me anyways), although after going to a couple of med school mixers I learned to find the one or two cool people and go out on your own, that way you dont leave the important choices to someone who maybe NEVER went out in undergrad, huge mistake.

If you have friends that arent med students near your school chances are you will get the call much more often than other students. The trick is to find your rythm, you will know after a couple trials and errors what you can handle.

Originally posted by sacrament
My class seems to be completely, annoyingly bent on having "social events." The student government has made it their mission to get everybody partying. I therefore have classmates who seem to party just about every night.

Well no one says you have to go out with them, but you do live in Portland and it would be sad not to live it up a bit. I would be in huge trouble if went to school there (where i went to undergrad) way to many non med friends, etc..

Originally posted by zbarnes

Well no one says you have to go out with them, but you do live in Portland and it would be sad not to live it up a bit.

I don't go out with them, but it's still annoying to be bombarded every single day with posters, e-mails, and class annoucements re: the latest get together.
And are you implying that Portland is some kind of party town?!? Ha. Well, the Taco Bells are open late, anyway.

Last edited:
Med students who go out more in medschool than they did in undergrad seriously missed out on the undergrad experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by sacrament
I don't go out with them, but it's still annoying to be bombarded every single day with posters, e-mails, and class annoucements re: the latest get together.
And are you implying that Portland is some kind of party town?!? :laugh: Well, the Taco Bells are open late, anyway.

it can be annoying. I was just saying that for a city of its size Portland has a lot to offer, there are a variety of clubs/bars to have fun at if you have the right attitude and a good group of people to go out with. Its not LA but who cares, life is what you make it.

Originally posted by WakeMedHeel
Med students who go out more in medschool than they did in undergrad seriously missed out on the undergrad experience.

truer words were never written

MSII USC school of medicine

I go out at least once a week usually twice. A couple friends and myself alternate going out for sushi or something else about every other week. Then I either hit a martini bar or a regular bar maybe once a week. I drink way less now though. That has more to do with my diet than desire though.

So say the MS I and IIs.... As an MS III, it depends on your rotation. I can tell you, I doubt I will do much but eat, sleep and see patients during this rotation.(Surgery)

Star

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JKDMed
Well, the people who go out a lot in undergrad usually never make it to medical school.

People want to believe this because it makes them feel better. While others are out having fun they're studying and it makes it easier to do. Premeds think they have to constantly study, etc.. because this is what is perpetuated by rumor. As an undergrad you just have to find your groove and then you live your life. This is the key.
Of course its not likely one can go out 5 nights a week and make it to med school, its all about timing. You should at least in your jun-senior year live it up, by this time your old enough to go everywhere and most prereqs are finished, the meat of the game is done.
Especially true is after MCAT and AMCAS its time to have fun, schools dont ask for transcripts of your senior year after youve been accepted, your first three years are whats important. Although try to make yourself competitive or better before embarking on too crazy a lifestyle, balance is the way.
You should enjoy your college experience and try not to ruin your chances at having fun just to try to be the ideal candidate for a med school, you will regret it if you dont get in.
Once you get into med school of course one has to cool it down a bit, theres a lot more going on and its a tad more important, not to mention its hard to afford cover and $10 drinks on a student budget. Thats why you should enjoy yourself in undergrad.

Im guessing, atleast for myself going out will be dictated by my money mainly as when your cruising off loans its not exactly easy to go out that often, and second im guessing the crowd in med is not as conducive to goign out as in undergrad but i think that depends largely on your class make up and school.. im sure the kids who enjoy goign out tend to revolved towards each other

couldn't agree more Zbarnes....

I went out and partied a ton in undergraduate and I am in medical school. You only get one shot at life don't waste it always trying to get to the point were you have acheived everything...its unobtainable. I partied 2 times a week minimum in college, but I also studied and worked. Priorties. If you are that anal in undergrad, you may make it through medical school, but some poor EMT is going to be scrapping your remains off the hospital parking lot when you go insane from lack of a real life. Reality hits hard and low.

I am 27 years old and I will say that I have definitely had my fair share of partying on 3 continents before medical school. I have always believed that partying is more dependent on your psychological state than your daily labour. I have been a premedical student, a worker, an exchange student, and in the military and those labours had no influence on whether I partied or not. Rather they could influence when I partied. If you are meant to go out, you will.

I think other factors have a greater effect on whether you party a lot. For instance, whether you are in a steady relationship and whether your significant other likes to go out and party or stay home. Also your budget can have a lot to do with it.

I agree with some of the others here that it sucks to go out with your classmates. You see them all the time and it is nice to get a different perspective on life and enjoy some time without even thinking about medical school. The one thing you can be sure of with a group of medical students is that they can't help themselves and will eventually talk about medicine. It amazes me how different this is than undergrad. When my school friends got together we never mentioned school.

I personally don't go out that often because I am in a long distance relationship and I think my time is better spent talking on the phone or chatting than partying.

During first year, there were classmates of mine that went out 5 nights per week, consistently throughout the semester. One of these individuals told me that the only days of the week he doesn't go out are Sunday and Monday or something. There's a bar across the street from our academic building for crissake.

Reactions: 1 user
The one thing you can be sure of with a group of medical students is that they can't help themselves and will eventually talk about medicine. It amazes me how different this is than undergrad. When my school friends got together we never mentioned school.

Papking, this is so true. I went out for Indian food last weekend and overheard a conversation at the next table...it had to have been a bunch of pretentious med students, who else would be taking about the glycosylation of neurons over tandoori chicken? it was nauseating, I just hope I don't become that kid come next year.:rolleyes:

There has to be, within each social group, at least one person willing to say "Absolutely no talking shop."

This holds true for car salesmen, restaurant workers (!), and stock brokers, too.

If you talk shop, it ain't a party, and you ain't having fun.

--Funkless, the authority on having fun. Hell, I'm Spuds MacKenzie.
:cool:

Well, the people who go out a lot in undergrad usually never make it to medical school.

You'd like to believe that. You'd be wrong if you did. Thirty-six straight nights my friend. Can you say fatty liver change?

lol wake thats awesome... damn i never go out, but that is just because im a nerd.... This is what my nonclassroom time consists of mainly: sleep, (computer game/web surfing/study/homework), and also exercise if im not too tired all mixed in of course so it takes me at least twice as long to get anything done on many occasions. Hey it works for me though (GPA-WISE I GUESS) lol.... Too bad I cant just stay focused long enough to get my schoolwork done without going on the comp every 10 min. But even if i did I would still be too shy to go out and party.

Maybe Ill regret it later when Im like 60 and then come back and hit on the hot college chicks. What do you think?

I went out so much in undergrad, it took me 9 yrs to finish!!

I didn't go to a single class function my first year of MS and I don't have a single regret.

That's why your computer can't be anywhere near you when you're working. It's a major distraction.

Originally posted by WakeMedHeel
That's why your computer can't be anywhere near you when you're working. It's a major distraction.

Very, very true. :eek:

In regards to the question asked, I partied more when I was in undergrad. Now 24, in a serious relationship, and having a net worth of $0.....going out to the bar or whatever just doesn't have the same appeal as it used to.:oops:

Originally posted by zbarnes
People want to believe this because it makes them feel better. While others are out having fun they're studying and it makes it easier to do. Premeds think they have to constantly study, etc.. because this is what is perpetuated by rumor. As an undergrad you just have to find your groove and then you live your life. This is the key.
Of course its not likely one can go out 5 nights a week and make it to med school, its all about timing. You should at least in your jun-senior year live it up, by this time your old enough to go everywhere and most prereqs are finished, the meat of the game is done.
Especially true is after MCAT and AMCAS its time to have fun, schools dont ask for transcripts of your senior year after youve been accepted, your first three years are whats important. Although try to make yourself competitive or better before embarking on too crazy a lifestyle, balance is the way.
You should enjoy your college experience and try not to ruin your chances at having fun just to try to be the ideal candidate for a med school, you will regret it if you dont get in.
Once you get into med school of course one has to cool it down a bit, theres a lot more going on and its a tad more important, not to mention its hard to afford cover and $10 drinks on a student budget. Thats why you should enjoy yourself in undergrad.

Amen, buddy.

I can't imagine how anybody couldn't find time for a lot of partying during their undergraduate years. Even if you eschew the clubs during the week (a sensible stategy) you still would have Friday and Saturday night to cut loose. Hell, you could even study Friday afternoon and still get "downtown," your conscience clean, early enough to raise a little hell.

When I was an undergrad I probably had a maximum of five hours of class per day and most of the time less. It doesn't take a time-mangement genius to fit in big blocks of quality study time when you get off for the day at noon.

Medical school is similar to this. We had a maximum, usually, of six hours of scheduled lectures and other activities per day during first and second year. Not counting seven hours for sleep, this leaves one with 11 hours for other activities. I cannot imagine that anyone either wants or need to spend eleven hours every day studying renal physiology. Seems to me that you could devote five hours per day to study and still have enough time to socialize, date, have a hobby, spend quality time with your family or whatever. Not to mention the weekends.

No offense. I'm just perplexed at how some of you younger folks are missing one of the best opportunities of your lives to cut loose. Now is the time. Later in life you will have responsibilities to include children who will look to you as a pillar of stability and will be emotionally scarred if they learned you were still doing beer bongs and chasing women other then their mother.-

Originally posted by Panda Bear

When I was an undergrad I probably had a maximum of five hours of class per day and most of the time less. It doesn't take a time-mangement genius to fit in big blocks of quality study time when you get off for the day at noon.

Yep, that was pretty much my strategy in undergrad. Class all morning, afternoons in the library or the labs, and pretty much from dinner on to just hang out with my "Arts and Leisure" friends. I hope to carry on the tradition in one form or another in med school. Maybe not as often, but we'll see...

*bumps*
topic resurrect?
I heard a lot of med schools claim they party a lot.

Its very block dependent for us. We're in physio right now (easy) and people are going out 3-7 nights a week. During neuro, people went out the night of the midterm, and the night of the final. That was it.

I prefer the 'study beer' but I don't consider that partying.

Its very block dependent for us. We're in physio right now (easy) and people are going out 3-7 nights a week. During neuro, people went out the night of the midterm, and the night of the final. That was it.

I prefer the 'study beer' but I don't consider that partying.

Man, I don't know how anyone could go out 7 times a week and still function--that's talent.

I've probably gone out once a week on average my first year, more when it's nice out (like now) less during the winter. That's down from 3 nights a week during undergrad. For me the limiting factor is having to get up at 8am during the week (well, not being forced to, but I do like to attend all lectures), whereas in undergrad I could go out during the week no problemo and roll into an eleven o'clock lecture hung-over.

Like some previous ones stated, it does depend but usually most go out on weekends at least one night during med school. We did have a few heavy partiers about 3-4 nights a week (they didn't do so good).

For me - Undergrad = ~6 nights a week I went out = 5 years = 3.2 GPA
Med school (granted I got married) 1 night a week = finished on time with 3.9 GPA.

For those in undergrad don't never go out and have fun, those I know that all they did was study all the time in undergrad actually did worse in med school b\c they got burnt out.

work hard, party harder. I agree with one of the posters that said it depends on the block. During endo/repro it was a lot of partying while during neuro/hematology not so much. Those exams are notorious for failure at my school.

Life is really too short to sit in the library all day. Even if you don't like to "party" its great to go out. However, when I was on spring break with some classmates we were out every day/night and we wouldn't get in until 4 in morning. Mind you, we had to get up at 9 for regional/national board meetings. That actually got really tiring and I felt like I was slowly degrading my health.

"Partying" is unprofessional. There, I said it.

Quite a few med students party it up, so you can make time for it as long as you develop strong time managment skills. Of course, the quantity may not be as strong as undergrad, but the quality might be higher(see: After-exam parties)

Personally, I don't usually go out every weekend, but that's because I am 10x more comfortable relaxing at home with a few people. It's funny that med students like to do everything together for some strange reason. Sometimes parties get boring considering drinking + dancing gets boring after an hour...and nothing else to do besides drink more and more:laugh:

LMAO, I completely agree. Not trying to put down anyone who chooses to go have a good time once and a while but personally I got that out of my system in undergrad. I see people who do that and I just have laugh all the way to my prospective derm residency.

I still have fun too. I let loose after exams only, which at my school is every other week and is plenty.

plus as much as some of the people who were nerds in undergad want to make med school out to be undergrad...it ain't. one quanta of knowledge could be the difference between an iatrogenic, negative patient outcome...

I did the SMP (masters) at Rosalind Franklin and now I m at SGU...people at RFU would party a decent amount (would do so more probably but everything was kinda far of a drive; 45 mins to the city of Chicago); here at SGU people study like mad men. People study like crazy out here..I thought being at a carrib school people would be studying a bit less..but there isnt jack to do out here so it cuts out all distractions = people study like 8 to 10 hrs a day on normal days and more in the week to 2 weeks before exams. I m very suprised about how much my class studies (much more than RFU students) and how difficult the classes here have become (again more difficult than the RFU classes hahah)...people here are still laid back for the most part though:thumbup:

I did the SMP (masters) at Rosalind Franklin and now I m at SGU...people at RFU would party a decent amount (would do so more probably but everything was kinda far of a drive; 45 mins to the city of Chicago); here at SGU people study like mad men. People study like crazy out here..I thought being at a carrib school people would be studying a bit less..but there isnt jack to do out here so it cuts out all distractions = people study like 8 to 10 hrs a day on normal days and more in the week to 2 weeks before exams. I m very suprised about how much my class studies (much more than RFU students) and how difficult the classes here have become (again more difficult than the RFU classes hahah)...people here are still laid back for the most part though:thumbup:

Well, when you have to dig yourself out of a hole, I guess you have to really put your shoulder to the shovel.

He's saying that SGU students need to study very hard b/c they'll need to do extremely well on step 1 to compensate for attending a caribbean school.

Right. The prior poster seemed to be bashing RFU students for not working as hard as SGU students (unless I misunderstood his "hahah"). So I was pointing out that when more doors are open for you you don't have to work as hard to get through.

LMAO, I completely agree. Not trying to put down anyone who chooses to go have a good time once and a while but personally I got that out of my system in undergrad. I see people who do that and I just have laugh all the way to my prospective derm residency.

I still have fun too. I let loose after exams only, which at my school is every other week and is plenty.

plus as much as some of the people who were nerds in undergad want to make med school out to be undergrad...it ain't. one quanta of knowledge could be the difference between an iatrogenic, negative patient outcome...

I could not agree more.. I am only in my second semester of college ( took a year off after high school) 6 months of that year off I was in New York City.. During that 6 months I went out on average 5 Nights a week.. and got **** faced every single night... I think I may have done some actual damage to my liver in those 6 months. Got allll the partying out of my system. So now at this point I am very content with doing nothing and getting straight A's..

I honestly forsee my self continuing my study/party habits for the most part of undergrad ( except second semester senior year... thats gonna be a $hit show) and for all of medical school because I would like to do exceptionally well on the step one to get Me into a Derm residency as well.. when that residency is done.. my whole life can be a party.
If its possible I would love to work 3 days a week, making ~125k+/year :D

Ah, a derm residency, so you can party all the time, yes, I see, now I understand. Laughing cynically.

If you had fun in college, you probably won't have much fun in med school. These people grew up, especially when they realized fighting their way into med school is not something they want to repeat during residency applications.

If you didn't have fun in college, you'll probably party a lot in med school. It's a totally different crowd and for some they finally make enough friends who are similar to them to transform them into really social beings.

Last edited:
I honestly forsee my self continuing my study/party habits for the most part of undergrad ( except second semester senior year... thats gonna be a $hit show) and for all of medical school because I would like to do exceptionally well on the step one to get Me into a Derm residency as well.. when that residency is done.. my whole life can be a party.
If its possible I would love to work 3 days a week, making ~125k+/year :D

meh- maybe... but the people who say this never actually get to the party. "Let me just get in medical school, then I can chillax", or "when I get this cardio fellowship, I'll coast". Derm people often have multiple practices in multiple locations, making huge bank but still working their butts off. You can have a good time in medical school and still do well.

If you want it, you can definitely find the time to do it, it's not like we can't party at all. Sometimes I really prefer to stay at home relaxing instead of partying, other times it's the opposite, many med students can complain about not having time, I know, but when you like what you do there's nothing to complain about. I still have free time to party but it ain't that important to me because when I was in high school my life was all about partying, boys, drinking, popularity... and had so much fun I think that's the important... I know what it's like to party hard and got tired of it so I moved on and got to a point when just studying, relaxing and hanging with some friends makes me feel better than going to a party. That's just what happened to me.