How old is too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaFutureOfPharm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Just wanted to know what u guys thought should be the cut off age for entering med school. I am considering it but think I might be kinda old. Would appreciate any input. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Could you expand more on your question ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if you are physically and mentally capable of fulfilling the requirements of med school and can reasonably expect to be so for the next eight years, you are not too old.

DaFutureOfPharm said:
Hi Guys
Just wanted to know what u guys thought should be the cut off age for entering med school. I am considering it but think I might be kinda old. Would appreciate any input. Thanks

There is no cutoff. If I personally were making the decision though, I would want to practice one year for every year of medical education I had (including residency), so for me personally if I planned on retiring at 65 I would probably not want to start after 45, but that's just for me though.

If you're under 30, you've got a great chance. If you're under 40, you still have a fair chance if everything else is good, but after that, it's going to be pretty tough.

If you are looking to go into Family Practice or Psychiatry, you could be 50 and still have a decent career ahead of you. If you want neurosurgery well, I might reconsider at 50!

Most schools don't really take age into consideration until you are over 35. Remember that there will be 35 year old residents in surgical specialties that started med school at the age of 24!

DaFutureOfPharm said:
Hi Guys

um....63.8 years of age should be the cutoff