How Old is Too Old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veritas86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been leaning toward doing surgery or surgical/CC, but doing the math, I'll be 43-45 by the time all the training is over. Question is this, could I expect to have a decent practice at that age?

I have other options, but curious about this one in particular.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been leaning toward doing surgery or surgical/CC, but doing the math, I'll be 43-45 by the time all the training is over. Question is this, could I expect to have a decent practice at that age?

I have other options, but curious about this one in particular.

It depends on the person and their practice.

I was older than my colleagues (since this is a second career) but am an "young" older person, physically and mentally. I found call easier for me than some of my decade younger colleagues.

I do find that some PDs and faculty are a bit worried about the over 40s and how they will handle call, but given the changes in medical education, that may be less of a worry.

At any rate, only you can decide whether or not you can expect to have a "decent" practice at that age. There are many surgeons who continue working into their 70s (and even beyond). No one knows what the future holds for you.

Moving to pre-Allo (as the Surgery forum is for questions of interest to Surgery residents and attendings; those that wish to follow this discussion can do so there).

You could easily practice for 20 years. I'd call that decent!

Members don't see this ad :)
You really only get 10-15 less years than everyone else. 20 years of practice is pretty good. You can also try to do urology or some other cushy outpatient surgeries.

Depends where you are in life, how old your kids are, etc. Personally, I think its too old, but it may work for you.

As a younger person, I definitely have a lot of respect for you OP having the courage to make a big career change in your 30s....I think it takes a lot determination and humility to do so; I definitely couldn't do what you're doing. And as others have said, you do have some time still especially if you aren't planning an early retirement...

I ll be finishing around 40/41...Was wondering about this too.

I will be 33 when I finish my surgical residency. 33 seems pretty decrepit to me.

Do what makes you happy. You only have one life to live so you might as well make the best out of it.