How safe is an Emergency Physician's Salary/Wage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know that EM has a substantial amount of primary care, and that is one of the main reasons why I am possibly thinking about considering it. And for the trauma...

Anyway, I know that in today's world, EM physicians make ~$100/hr. Due to the fact of the increased amount of Medicaid (primary care faction, "the ER is a drug seeker's home," etc.), isn't it very reasonable to assume that the hourly wage of an EM doc will be decreasing once the feds decrease reimbursements?

What do you guys/gals think about this possibility, or is it?

Thanks, bigfrank

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I really don't understand why you would think that an ED is only filled with drug seekers and Medicaid patients... perhaps a great number at county hospitals have this type of patient populations, but at the same time, these programs are linked to residencies and the University/Hospital pay the attending physicians salary. Most of these positions are not necessarily hourly. And with the greater influx of patients, plus the demand for only board certified EM docs manning the ED, wages go up (so does the work).

The vast majority of ED's are community hospital settings and are staffed with EM docs more than likely on an hourly wage. This hourly wage (ranging from $100-150 depending on geographic location and experience) has steadily increased from the early 80's (as little as $25/hr). These community hospital ED's are run by groups of EM physicians (likely) and are less likely to be salaried positions.
With the continuing strength of ACEP, AAEM, and SAEM and the growing concern for ED overcrowding, a DROP in the wage is unlikely...very unlikely.

For more information go to <a href="http://www.aaem.org" target="_blank">www.aaem.org</a>

One must remember, there is virtually ZERO overhead in EM, something not found in any other specialty (no offices...no nurses to pay). Many professions pull in more GROSS pay, but NET pay is often times less.