IMG pursuing Emergency Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotTheArmyDoctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm an Indian IMG, currently in the penultimate year of my graduation, interested in pursuing residency in EM. I plan to give my steps next year and follow that up with electives.

The problem is that as per 2018 statistics there were 2265 programs in EM and only 109 of them were given to IMGs and this includes US-IMGs. Only 29 of them could be taken up by Non US IMGs. That's just a little over 1%!!
Going further intl statistics I found out the number of unmatched Non US IMGs who applied for EM and that was 72. So, only 99 Non US IMGs applied for an EM program and only 29 of them got it.

I have 2 questions regarding the EM scenario
1- Does this sound so difficult because very Non US IMGs apply for it, or is it really a very Non US IMG unfriendly line?

2- In order to be one of the 29 candidates who matched, what all do I need to do?
I'm aware of the need of not just LORs, but rather SLOEs. But, it seems I don't just need SLOEs, I need really good ones. And not just electives, the best electives. So can somebody please guide me in this regard?

Members don't see this ad.

Man just reading this post hurts my head. If you want to practice in the states aim for FM/IM spots unless you’re top of your class and have killer board scores.

Reactions: 1 users
You need great board scores.
You need clinical rotations in the US to get sloe.
You need some luck come match time
You probably need some EM research while you are at it .

Could you expand on the clinical rotations. Which all subjects? And do I have to do it from reputed places or would any hospital/college suffice?