How should I ask a physician to allow me to shadow them

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalFree230

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question regarding how I should go about asking a physician for shadowing experience. The hospital in my university town has a list of all doctors associated with the healthcare system including office hours and office locations as well as phone numbers, however no emails were included in these lists. Should I:

A.) Go to the doctors office hours and ask them in person if they would allow me to shadow them. I really don't know if this technique will work as I feel like I am wasting the physicians time when I visit there office asking for shadowing experience. On the other hand I feel like some physicians would appreciate if a student came in to their office asking for shadow experience, as it shows that you are serious about getting a shadow opportunity.

Or

B.) Call the doctors office and ask them over the phone about letting me potentially shadow them. This would be less personal than visiting their office and it would feel much less awkward if they were to tell me no.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say just give them a call. Let them know you are interesting in becoming a doctor and that you'd like to shadow them. You can cover lots of places quickly this way.

If you strike out a lot, maybe then go in person to a few places. Hopefully, you won't have to. Also, ask your family doctor if you have one! I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Best of luck!

Option A sounds good, but I'm not sure about hospital policy regarding this. You can try a private practice. Some doctors will say yes, other may say no.

Option B never worked for me in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
All physicians went through residency - a time where they were being taught and teaching at all times. You should never be afraid to ask a physician to shadow. If they say no, it will be regretfully on their part.

Say you want to be a doctor and want to shadow. thats it.

I've never received anything but an enthusiastic yes to this request. If you get a negative response - assume there are some extenuating circumstances and move on...

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure you cannot find their emails?
I asked by sending polite emails and have gotten positive responses. It sure felt a bit intimidating/awkward when I reached out to them but I got used to it after a while. I would recommend going to their office hours and talk to them in person. Just be confident and polite; don't think of yourself as a waste of time. (We are, but it wouldn't help to have that kind of mindset)