Not open for further replies.

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
In a sentence - should I try to show that I am disadvantaged to gain adcom's sympathy, or show that I am privileged so I look more respectable?

My life has been filled with a number of great things, and a number of bad things. Won't go into too much detail, but my uncle overdosed on drugs, my brother is in jail, I graduated from a public high school, etc. On the other hand, my dad is a doctor, my uncle is a doctor, my grandfather is worth 8 figures, i go to an Ivy League school now, etc.

So should I play up the bad things and talk about how I overcame those experiences and how that changed me, or should I talk about my experience as an Ivy Leaguer coming from a family with money? If I were an adcom member, I'd feel better about accepting a disadvantaged student, although I would be more likely to actually admit the kid from Dartmouth dressed in a 3 piece Brioni suit than a kid from Ohio State wearing a walmart suit (no offense, I am just trying to paint a literary picture).

Reactions: Meeehai

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
4/10

Jul 21, 2015
www.ooooiiii.com
In a sentence - should I try to show that I am disadvantaged to gain adcom's sympathy, or show that I am privileged so I look more respectable?

My life has been filled with a number of great things, and a number of bad things. Won't go into too much detail, but my uncle overdosed on drugs, my brother is in jail, I graduated from a public high school, etc. On the other hand, my dad is a doctor, my uncle is a doctor, my grandfather is worth 8 figures, i go to an Ivy League school now, etc.

So should I play up the bad things and talk about how I overcame those experiences and how that changed me, or should I talk about my experience as an Ivy Leaguer coming from a family with money? If I were an adcom member, I'd feel better about accepting a disadvantaged student, although I would be more likely to actually admit the kid from Dartmouth dressed in a 3 piece Brioni suit than a kid from Ohio State wearing a walmart suit (no offense, I am just trying to paint a literary picture).
:)

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is going to a public high school really comparable to having a family member OD or be in jail...?

Dec 7, 2014
Be honest. Acknowledge that you lead a fairly privileged life, but that there have been tragic events in your life that have shaped you. Don't harp on it, but if they ask you a question that allows you to naturally talk about it, then do so.

PS - you're not going to win a lot of friends by saying that graduating from a public high school makes you disadvantaged. What happened to your uncle and your brother was awful, and presumably has shaped your worldview in some meaningful way, but 99.9% of people graduate from public high schools [yes, citation needed]. Implicitly disparaging state school graduates also makes you sound extremely privileged, and a little naive.

OP
Avanafil

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Girl: "So what do you like to do in free time?"
Guy: "Volunteer at hospital, undergraduate research, crew, and xbox"
Girl: "So xbox is the same as undergraduate research?"
Guy: --walks away--

Reactions: RuffDay
OP
Avanafil

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't mean to disparage public high school. Hell, I graduated from one! But it goes to show the inequality in my education and the potential to swing my profile one way or the other.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Girl: "So what do you like to do in free time?"
Guy: "Volunteer at hospital, undergraduate research, crew, and xbox"
Girl: "So xbox is the same as undergraduate research?"
Guy: --walks away--
Ya bro, it's not the same as what you wrote, but don't worry I was just poking fun.

I don't mean to disparage public high school. Hell, I graduated from one! But it goes to show the inequality in my education and the potential to swing my profile one way or the other.
Public high school and Ivy League doesn't by itself in any way mean you have an asymmetric education lol.

narvik2016

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You want adcoms to accept YOU, so I don't really see how you can look at this as a "swing my profile one way or the other" situation because both sides are part of your life and represent you in some way. It's not like if you reveal pieces of "one side" that you have to keep the other concealed.. that's silly. It will depend on what they ask you. Also, you might want to reconsider your definition of "disadvantaged."

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)

lol what? Whining about public schools doesn't make you disadvantaged, but entitled

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Public high school? Wtf...

Reactions: bearintraining

Dr. Death

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
What a damn disappointment. This was an obvious troll post 3/10 in my opinion and like 5 posters fell for it. I feel like I've been let down by the responses here.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What a damn disappointment. This was an obvious troll post 3/10 in my opinion and like 5 posters fell for it. I feel like I've been let down by the responses here.
You missed our wonderful PM conversation.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Troll or no, it's a teaching moment. If any of you follow the wise LizzyM on the subject, the "disadvantaged" box is to indicate that you had factors affecting your ability to go to college.

Going to a PHS isn't one of them.

Having family misfortunes as the OP described isn't one of them either, it's bad family dynamics.

The "disadvantaged" box isn't to demonstrate who's life is worse. It's not a pissing contest, or "Queen for a Day" (for obscure Baby Boomer reference, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_for_a_Day)

And this is a good way to get an immediate rejection: "or show that I am privileged so I look more respectable?"

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
my dad is a doctor, my uncle is a doctor, my grandfather is worth 8 figures, i go to an Ivy League school now, etc.
So in other words you're pissed that you go to Ohio State

Which Walmart do you work at?

bearintraining

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2011
OH
Status
Medical Student, Post Doc
Holy **** you got a 527 MCAT?!? How?
Rumor has it that for every 20 you slip the proctor above the absolute max of 510, you get an extra point. ;)

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Holy **** you got a 527 MCAT?!? How?
SDN is such a biased sample that 99.9th percentile scores abound! I think narmerguy actually has him beat in percentile by his 43, and a ton of the frequent posters hit 100th percentile (off the top of my head I think GTLO, mimelim, mehc, Capone, sure I'm missing several). If you're actually interested in study methods you'll see lots of people like this have shared how they prepped in the mcat subforum

Reactions: md-2020
OP
Avanafil

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I get a lot of the disadvantaged 2%.
Honestly I'm offended. I'd argue that the top 5-25% is disadvantaged. Not in the traditional sense, but in the sense that they are excluding from many things such as enrichment programs, scholarships, and financial aid.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
SDN is such a biased sample that 99.9th percentile scores abound! I think narmerguy actually has him beat in percentile by his 43, and a ton of the frequent posters hit 100th percentile (off the top of my head I think GTLO, mimelim, mehc, Capone, sure I'm missing several).
You.

No?

OP
Avanafil

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
SDN is such a biased sample that 99.9th percentile scores abound! I think narmerguy actually has him beat in percentile by his 43, and a ton of the frequent posters hit 100th percentile (off the top of my head I think GTLO, mimelim, mehc, Capone, sure I'm missing several). If you're actually interested in study methods you'll see lots of people like this have shared how they prepped in the mcat subforum
By 100th percentile, as opposed to 99.99th, do you mean a perfect score? I thought there were no such thing as MCAT perfects.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Honestly I'm offended. I'd argue that the top 5-25% is disadvantaged. Not in the traditional sense, but in the sense that they are excluding from many things such as enrichment programs, scholarships, and financial aid.
Are you offended that I get them, that I reported it, that they exist, that they identify themselves as such...?

Last edited by a moderator:

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
It's true for any forum dedicated to provide information regarding test prep, applications etc. Everyone wants to be HYPSM/Top 20 or bust, and massive self-selection reinforces that.

Reactions: Goro and efle
Status
Not open for further replies.