How should I say thank you for my LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffyone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently asked my professor for a LOR and he just submitted it. Is it better and more polite to email him a thank you email now or should I wait to say thank you when school starts in 2 weeks? Also, what things should I make sure to include in my thank you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

What I would do:
1. Email them something like "Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it for it means a lot to me."
2. Go and have a chat with them in person. Thank them again, and say something like "I'll keep you updated on my progress!"
3. Let them know when you succeed.
By all means, be flexible when dealing with others - there's no single formula for "politeness."

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What I would do:
1. Email them something like "Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it for it means a lot to me."
2. Go and have a chat with them in person. Thank them again, and say something like "I'll keep you updated on my progress!"
3. Let them know when you succeed.
By all means, be flexible when dealing with others - there's no single formula for "politeness."
Thanks! I'll do that!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely either email/go in person to say thank you and confirm with them that the letter is received on your behalf.

I find most professors like to know how you did at the end (especially when they're close to you). I went to their office at the end of the cycle to tell them the results.

I met with all my letter writers before they wrote so that we could chat and they had a better picture of me as a person and applicant. I obviously thanked them then for doing this. I then emailed them once I saw they submitted the letter and acknowledged that it was received. When I got in, I hand wrote letters again thanking them and telling them were I would be attending.

Obviously you're past the first part, but I added it just for those who may start asking for letters this winter.