How the hell do you produce 1.5 MILLION a year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bkwash said:
For some strange reason Dentistry has a negative stigma attached to it. I wish I knew where it came from...a dentist makes more money, works less, and has control over their work. When deciding between the two dentistry was an easy choice. However, I did find opposition from my family and professors, who would always pose the question "why not medicine?" It seems that for the baby boomer generation the MD is the more "accepted" health profession. I wonder if the trend will be reversed in 20 years?

In my personal opinion, I don't think it will. AMA and doctors are very much into pride, ego, and monopolizing the medical field (oh ugh. I expect backlashes here). For example, they attempted to drive chiropractic to the ground in fear that they would take a chunk of the pie.

Members don't see this ad.

bkwash said:
For some strange reason Dentistry has a negative stigma attached to it. I wish I knew where it came from...a dentist makes more money, works less, and has control over their work. When deciding between the two dentistry was an easy choice. However, I did find opposition from my family and professors, who would always pose the question "why not medicine?" It seems that for the baby boomer generation the MD is the more "accepted" health profession. I wonder if the trend will be reversed in 20 years?

Doubt it. Still, who cares? Let the public think dentistry is somehow inferior, meanwhile our incomes are surpassing many medical specialties and the lifestyle cannot be beat. Most people who know healthcare get that we are smart and lucky to have chosen dentistry-- even the MDs.

Rube said:
Doubt it. Still, who cares? Let the public think dentistry is somehow inferior, meanwhile our incomes are surpassing many medical specialties and the lifestyle cannot be beat. Most people who know healthcare get that we are smart and lucky to have chosen dentistry-- even the MDs.

Althought the majority of MD's see Dentistry as a great alternative, I also believe that the general public does not. Most of the public don't know how much dentist make and even if you go around calling yourself doctor a lot of people will only respect the title if they think that you are an MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
TucsonDDS said:
Althought the majority of MD's see Dentistry as a great alternative, I also believe that the general public does not. Most of the public don't know how much dentist make and even if you go around calling yourself doctor a lot of people will only respect the title if they think that you are an MD.

I'm curious why ppl would go into dentistry as opposed to investment-banking if its cause of the money. Those ppl make a ton more !!!

There are a couple of ex-investment bankers in my class, and the reason they switched was cause they would rather help ppl than spend their lives making money.

a_student said:
I'm curious why ppl would go into dentistry as opposed to investment-banking if its cause of the money.

Maybe the same reason they didnt want to do medicine...the work hours.

Investment bankers work a crapload...around 70 hours a week. Its not about the money, its about the lifestyle. Dentistry wins.

Rezdawg said:
Maybe the same reason they didnt want to do medicine...the work hours.

Investment bankers work a crapload...around 70 hours a week. Its not about the money, its about the lifestyle. Dentistry wins.

Investment bankers tend to work more than 70 hr weeks. For the first few years 100 hr weeks are not uncommon - I have 3 invesment banker TAs for my accounting class (getting their MBAs right now) and they answer everything I ask them. So basically its like this: theres no gurantee you will make that much money in investment banking: you need solid grades, solid personality, solid drive and ambition, and then theres still competition.

You wont work for yourself, and you wont have time for much else besides work. So while you will make a lot of money, there is often the complaint that you dont have the time to spend it. Remember, you dont need to make 1 million dollars a year to be richer than someone that makes 4 million a year (in more ways than one).

As a dentist you get plenty of freedom. Dentistry doesnt need to be your life. You can still run another business, have investments, retire early, work 70 hours a week or work 15 hours a week. You can do it all!

a_student said:
I'm curious why ppl would go into dentistry as opposed to investment-banking if its cause of the money. Those ppl make a ton more !!!

There are a couple of ex-investment bankers in my class, and the reason they switched was cause they would rather help ppl than spend their lives making money.

I think you just answered your own question.

TucsonDDS said:

I think its a mistake to go around calling yourself doctor--not that you do--, but introducing yourself as doctor in a social setting makes people naturally assume you're an MD. That's completely understandable. When someone calls me doctor, I don't correct them, because a dentist is a doctor, but "doctor" in social settings is reserved for the MD. You gotta give those guys a bone. :laugh:

Rube said:
I think its a mistake to go around calling yourself doctor--not that you do--, but introducing yourself as doctor in a social setting makes people naturally assume you're an MD. That's completely understandable. When someone calls me doctor, I don't correct them, because a dentist is a doctor, but "doctor" in social settings is reserved for the MD. You gotta give those guys a bone. :laugh:

I agree completely, I was just showing that there is a difference as percieved by society. As a nurse I took care of a guy that went by the name of Dr. SoandSo. He insisted on being called doctor. I asked him what kind of doctor he was and he told me he had a Phd in Ethics. I don't know how ethical it is to be portraying yourself as a "Doctor" when you aren't.

Rube said:
I have never introduced myself as "doctor toofache" in a social setting and I rarely do it even in my hospital. I've heard people do this and I'm astounded...what the hell does your job have to do with anything outside of work?

introducing yourself as Dr. blah blah blah outside of the professional arena: douchebaggery.

phremius said:
introducing yourself as Dr. blah blah blah outside of the professional arena: douchebaggery.

I think introducing yourself as Dr. blah blah blah is especially confusing for most people. As a general rule, I would say never introduce yourself as Dr., unless your last name is Evil.

phremius said:

I think introducing yourself as Dr. blah blah blah is especially confusing for most people. As a general rule, I would say never introduce yourself as Dr., unless your last name is Evil.

Actually on a real note, I used to wait tables at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and one night I was working and I came up to greet a new party that I had been informed was the Greenberg party, so I walked up to the table and said "Hello, Mr. Greenberg...?, waiting for a reply and the chance to introduce myself and the guy then goes "Mr. Greenberg isn't here, but Doctor Greenberg is!" True story. Needless to say, I made sure the kitchen burned his filet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rube said:
Actually on a real note, I used to wait tables at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and one night I was working and I came up to greet a new party that I had been informed was the Greenberg party, so I walked up to the table and said "Hello, Mr. Greenberg...?, waiting for a reply and the chance to introduce myself and the guy then goes "Mr. Greenberg isn't here, but Doctor Greenberg is!" True story. Needless to say, I made sure the kitchen burned his filet.
Reminds me of my days before dental school when I worked as a manager in a retail store. Some guy tried to get a refund on some clothes which had obviously been worn and washed, no tags or receipts. When I told him this he got all huffy and made a big scene in front of everybody. Here's the fun part: he said "do you know who I am?" I said no and he said "I'm Dr. So-and-so, the CEO of the entire Methodist Hospital System here in this town." I said "well do you know who I am?" He was sort of taken back and said "no who are you??" I said "I'm the guy that gives the refunds!" :laugh:

One of my prouder moments in life.

Reactions: 1 user
toofache32 said:
Reminds me of my days before dental school when I worked as a manager in a retail store. Some guy tried to get a refund on some clothes which had obviously been worn and washed, no tags or receipts. When I told him this he got all huffy and made a big scene in front of everybody. Here's the fun part: he said "do you know who I am?" I said no and he said "I'm Dr. So-and-so, the CEO of the entire Methodist Hospital System here in this town." I said "well do you know who I am?" He was sort of taken back and said "no who are you??" I said "I'm the guy that gives the refunds!" :laugh:

One of my prouder moments in life.

You mean, you were the guy that doesn't give the refunds.

Rube said:
As a general rule, I would say never introduce yourself as Dr., unless your last name is Evil.

I agree. The only time I would introduce myself as Dr. is if my last name were "Evil", or perhaps "Pepper"......or maybe even "Strangelove".

How about airline pilots that introduce themselves as "Captain" blah blah. The only time I would introduce myself as "Captain" is if my last name were Crunch.........or perhaps Kirk.

Reminds me of a scene in Meet the Parents:

"Congratulations Bob, or should I say Dr. Bob."
"Oh no, don't call me Dr. Just call me Bob... MD."

What happened to that 1.5 MILLION a year production??

That was one of the most informative threads in a long time until ...

jmill0 said:
Non-competitive? I dunno. He's from Lexington, KY where there's a dental school and ton of dentists. I'm in Nashville and there's quite a few more here. Not exactly the "boonies"!

I don't understand how it is NOT possible. What the hell are these docs doing all day in these practices that do $400K?

I keep my hygienist busy with a full schedule and do as much as I can from 2-3 chairs. My schedule is not full every day. Converting from hygiene to my side every day helps. Going ahead and doing that crown or two fillings while they are in the office if I have time.

Doing a root canal a day as well as 2-3 crowns and about 10 fillings is not hard to do. Throw in an extraction or two.... easily $4k on my side. This is the AVERAGE too. If I do an Invisalign case or a Smile Design a couple of times a month, it decreases what I have to do for the other days. Hygienist does about $1K a day. $5K for an easy day. Translates to a million dollars a year.

BTW, my friend and I are both HEAVY into PPO plans and don't get that "full fee" most docs seem to think you have to get to get the million dollar practice. We even both take some public aid as well.

If you break it down and schedule your patients right, $5-6K a day is really not that tough. I've had several $10-15K days that seemed easier than some $2K days because of the schedule.

right!!!
:) ;) :sleep: :scared: :confused:

phremius said:

I once met a guy like that, calling himself Dr. so-and-so everywhere he went. Ticked me off.

Anyway, this dude was kinda short, stout, and had a big ego. He went on and on how he was also cast in the Lord of the Rings. Seriously, dude. He played Frodo Baggins' evil twin Dr. Frodo Douche-baggins. :smuggrin:

Rube said:
so I walked up to the table and said "Hello, Mr. Greenberg...?, waiting for a reply and the chance to introduce myself and the guy then goes "Mr. Greenberg isn't here, but Doctor Greenberg is!" True story. Needless to say, I made sure the kitchen burned his filet.

It's okay with me if you call him a douchebag.

Comet208 said:
What happened to that 1.5 MILLION a year production??

That was one of the most informative threads in a long time until ...

I've came to believe that if a thread starts to digress into topics that are pointless, or that someone has hijacked it, then it usually means that the OP topic has been exhausted.

For example, the thread was about how it is possible to produce 1.5 million dollars, and the question was answered, hence the question was answered.

However, you can prove me wrong by adding more to this thread.

jk5177 said:
I've came to believe that if a thread starts to digress into topics that are pointless, or that someone has hijacked it, then it usually means that the OP topic has been exhausted.

For example, the thread was about how it is possible to produce 1.5 million dollars, and the question was answered, hence the question was answered.

However, you can prove me wrong by adding more to this thread.

There is a 67 year old solo dentist in Baton Rogue, LA after whom I have modeled my practice. He is producing $2.4 million per year on 4.5 days per week. (And no, he's not unethical in his treatment.) He's simply the most organized person you'll ever meet.

Happy2th said:
There is a 67 year old solo dentist in Baton Rogue, LA after whom I have modeled my practice. He is producing $2.4 million per year on 4.5 days per week. (And no, he's not unethical in his treatment.) He's simply the most organized person you'll ever meet.

Mind giving some examples of his efficiency?

SMC2UCLA2_ said:
Mind giving some examples of his efficiency?

There's so much, it would take pages to explain it. I've mimicked most of it, but I'm still about $700K behind the master.........me just a lowly padowan.

Happy2th said:
He's probably ethical in his tx but his works are most likely sloppy.

Back to the OP, YES, it's very possible to produce 1.5 MILL a year. An associate (employee) took home $350K last year on a 25% collection. That means he had produced over $1.5 MILL last yr. I'm currently working for a dental mill. There're guys who produce $7-9K per day. First of all, they're fast. Secondly, their works look like ****, most of them anyway. I've seen their recall patients and their diagnosis. I've done my fair shares of cleaning up with the recall patients. It sends chills down to my spine. It makes dentists look like car salemen.

Inn2,

Your avatar is awesome.. Thumbs up!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

toofache32 said:
I have never introduced myself as "doctor toofache" in a social setting and I rarely do it even in my hospital. I've heard people do this and I'm astounded...what the hell does your job have to do with anything outside of work?
I have never introduced myself as "doctor" in a social setting and I seldom do it even in my dental practice. Those who introduce themselves as "doctor" in a social setting is either a egotistic sob or someone who has something to prove. I respect people who are humble and down to earth.

burton117 said:
Inn2,

Your avatar is awesome.. Thumbs up!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks! I also have a t-shirt with the same avatar. Most of the ladies like it but some turn the other way like I was a perv or something.

a_student said:
just a little comment on this:

- well considering a peds-cards person spends about three times in the education process and works about twice the hours a week i think its reasonable to say that they deserve more, not including the fact that the training is alot more rigorous than a dentists (i'm sure you'll disagree on that)
- secondly i think i should have stated that its not fair for a dentist to earn 1.5million a year and shouldn't have talked about dentists at large, i apologize for that. My mother is a dentist of 20yrs i know how much the average dentist makes, and i basically grew up in her practice while she babysat me in her practice, so please don't give me the bull**** that you dunno what ur talking about, most of the dentists that do make the high incomes, screw their patients into getting unneccessary upgrades
- finally i've been part of sdn for a couple of years now, and sure sometimes i do get bored and say antagonistic comments, as i'm most of u have in the past, doesn't mean that every single comment of mine is a joke, only a minority

What you said is pretty annoying. I'm not sure if this has already been adressed here, it probably has, but med may be a little harder to get into but dental school is much more difficult. Not only do you spend more hours in lecture then med students (learning the same stuff I might add) but you also spend lots of hours in lab and doing rotation. After the first two years your in clinic performing procedures on patients, that's right, your actually performing procedures! Of course, your going to talk about your 3rd and 4th years as clinical years, these are the same 3rd and 4th years that I've heard many med student talking about as their slacker years. The years where you're luckiy if you get to fill up a syringe for the doctor before he sticks a patient and are basically regulated to taking medical histories. By the way, we started doing this in our 1st year. After 4 years of hell many of us go on to specialize or participate in residencies which aren't any easier (I;m talking GPR) then what an M.D. does who is going to practice family medicine. O.K. so the residency may be a year shorter but that only evens us up for the greater difficulty of going through dental school. So at the end of the day, a good dentist is worth every penny.

a_student said:
- well considering a peds-cards person spends about three times in the education process and works about twice the hours a week i think its reasonable to say that they deserve more, not including the fact that the training is alot more rigorous than a dentists (i'm sure you'll disagree on that)
- secondly i think i should have stated that its not fair for a dentist to earn 1.5million a year and shouldn't have talked about dentists at large, i apologize for that. My mother is a dentist of 20yrs i know how much the average dentist makes, and i basically grew up in her practice while she babysat me in her practice, so please don't give me the bull**** that you dunno what ur talking about, most of the dentists that do make the high incomes, screw their patients into getting unneccessary upgrades

I'll add something else for our troll here. Hours worked and years of training has nothing to do with income. Supply and demand for our services dictates income. Look in your own world first...you're doing 6 years of residency to make 1/3 of what plastic or orthopedic surgeons do in a 5 year residency. If you want money you should have gone into real estate, law skool, or something else. There are many easier ways to make more money than healthcare. I am planning on doing a cancer fellowship after my oral surgery residency. This is 4 years dental school, 6 years of residency, and another 1-2 years of fellowship. And cancer surgeons make jack-$hit after all that training. If I wanted money I wouldn't be doing a fellowship that makes me take a severe cut in pay from doing routine oral surgery.

As far as your mom being a dentist, this has nothing to do with your understanding of dentistry as a whole. It sounds like your mom's practice is much different than most, so your "insight" isn't validated by her at all. Knowing one dentist doesn't make anyone an expert on dental practice.

lnn2 said:
He's probably ethical in his tx but his works are most likely sloppy.

Nope. His work ranks up with the best of them. He's also the inventor of the Metalift crown removal system. The guy is literally amazing.

That's the problem with high producing dentists.........other dentists will always try to cut them down either out of jealousy or to try to make themselves feel better about themselves. Usually by saying stuff like "Well, he MUST be unethical, or he MUST do shoddy work." It ain't the case here my friend. I've been there, I've seen him operate, and I've seen the quality of his work.....it's top notch. This guy is unreal. You cannot produce numbers like that (and MAINTAIN that level of production for the long term) if your ethics or work is sloppy. Word gets around.

He also does no advertising.

Happy2th said:
Nope. His work ranks up with the best of them. He's also the inventor of the Metalift crown removal system. The guy is literally amazing.

That's the problem with high producing dentists.........other dentists will always try to cut them down either out of jealousy or to try to make themselves feel better about themselves. Usually by saying stuff like "Well, he MUST be unethical, or he MUST do shoddy work." It ain't the case here my friend. I've been there, I've seen him operate, and I've seen the quality of his work.....it's top notch. This guy is unreal. You cannot produce numbers like that (and MAINTAIN that level of production for the long term) if your ethics or work is sloppy. Word gets around.

He also does no advertising.

Does he focus on cosmetics?

drhobie7 said:
Does he focus on cosmetics?

No. He's a bread and butter style practice.....like mine. He does 90-100 units of crown and bridge per month. (I only do about 50-60 units per month). That sounds like a lot, but I guarantee you he's not crowning everything he sees. He just sees a lot.

He does not do ortho and he does not do implants. He does not have computers in each operatory and he does not have digital radiography. He's still using paper charts and regular film.

i am really surprised about the 75% overhead!!!..i mean how is that possible??? lets say a root canal costs 1000.....750 expences on average...no way??!!

toofache32 said:
I'll add something else for our troll here. Hours worked and years of training has nothing to do with income. Supply and demand for our services dictates income. Look in your own world first...you're doing 6 years of residency to make 1/3 of what plastic or orthopedic surgeons do in a 5 year residency. If you want money you should have gone into real estate, law skool, or something else. There are many easier ways to make more money than healthcare. I am planning on doing a cancer fellowship after my oral surgery residency. This is 4 years dental school, 6 years of residency, and another 1-2 years of fellowship. And cancer surgeons make jack-$hit after all that training. If I wanted money I wouldn't be doing a fellowship that makes me take a severe cut in pay from doing routine oral surgery.

As far as your mom being a dentist, this has nothing to do with your understanding of dentistry as a whole. It sounds like your mom's practice is much different than most, so your "insight" isn't validated by her at all. Knowing one dentist doesn't make anyone an expert on dental practice.

i'm glad there r ppl like you in dentistry that don't care about money, but look around at the FAR majority of posts on this thread, i think only you and and another person have brought up that its not about the money, while everyone else asks about how they'll make alot of money by helpin the rich and not providing dentalcare for the poor

also obviously my mom isn't my sole source of information about dentistry, most dentists hang around together and i've talked to many of my mothers colleagues about dentistry

also my mother's many dentist friends are not my only source of info about dentistry i've been to several dental conferences and have spoken with many dentists at these events

through my twenty some odd years of life i've gotten to know very many dentists, and especially in the US, "helping people" has never seemed very high on their list

joooj86 said:
i am really surprised about the 75% overhead!!!..i mean how is that possible??? lets say a root canal costs 1000.....750 expences on average...no way??!!

Look back at the list of expenses I posted earlier and you can how easy it is to have that much overhead. Staff is by far the biggest expense.

joooj86 said:

If you were to look at the costs of specific procedures, some would have different 'overheads' than others. Endo has a relatively low overhead because there are no lab fees. I've heard the average amount it costs to run a practice is $200-250 an hour. I'd like to hear from the practicing dentists out there if this is incorrect.

drhobie7 said:
I've heard the average amount it costs to run a practice is $200-250 an hour. I'd like to hear from the practicing dentists out there if this is incorrect.

Just my staff salaries (and NOTHING ELSE) runs $202/hr. This does NOT include lab bills, electricity, accounting bills, dental material bills, office supply bills, property taxes, quarterly taxes, building loan payments (or rent), practice loan payments, equipment loan payments, cleaning expenses, continuing education expenses, or water and utility bills. Nor does it include occasional staff bonuses or trips.

a_student said:
through my twenty some odd years of life i've gotten to know very many dentists, and especially in the US, "helping people" has never seemed very high on their list

If you're only in you're twenties, then you have a lot more people to meet. I can assure you that "helping people" is just as high on most dentists lists as it is for anyone else (including MDs), and probably more so. There are going to be a few dentists with $$ signs in their eyes just as there are going to be people in ANY profession with $$ signs in their eyes. That is by no means exclusive to dentistry, nor is it any more prevalent in dentistry than it is in medicine.

a_student said:

Wow, twenty some odd years. :laugh:

Happy2th said:
Just my staff salaries (and NOTHING ELSE) runs $202/hr. This does NOT include lab bills, electricity, accounting bills, dental material bills, office supply bills, property taxes, quarterly taxes, building loan payments (or rent), practice loan payments, equipment loan payments, cleaning expenses, continuing education expenses, or water and utility bills. Nor does it include occasional staff bonuses or trips.

Wow. How many and of why type of employees do you have?

drhobie7 said:
Wow. How many and of why type of employees do you have?

Three hygienists.
Three dental assistants.
One hygiene assistant.
Four front desk staff (receptionist, two schedulers, finance coordinator).

I also have an office manager (wife) who takes no salary.

Happy2th said:
Three hygienists.
Three dental assistants.
One hygiene assistant.
Four front desk staff (receptionist, two schedulers, finance coordinator).

Does she take retirement? I would think that you could bump up pre-tax or deductible retirement contributions if she was on payrol?

Happy2th said:

Dont you give her a "salary" though, save some tax money?

Rezdawg said:
Dont you give her a "salary" though, save some tax money?

The accountant has her taking a miniscule salary for tax purposes so we can qualify for for group retirement advantages for the myself and the staff.........(I think, I can't explain it very well.)

Happy2th said:
The accountant has her taking a miniscule salary for tax purposes and so we can qualify for for group retirement advantages for the myself and the staff.........(I think, I can't explain it very well.)

Figured as much

a_student said:
i'm glad there r ppl like you in dentistry that don't care about money, but look around at the FAR majority of posts on this thread, i think only you and and another person have brought up that its not about the money, while everyone else asks about how they'll make alot of money by helpin the rich and not providing dentalcare for the poor

also obviously my mom isn't my sole source of information about dentistry, most dentists hang around together and i've talked to many of my mothers colleagues about dentistry

also my mother's many dentist friends are not my only source of info about dentistry i've been to several dental conferences and have spoken with many dentists at these events

i don't understand why wanting to make money is a crime to you. i want to make good money, am i a horrible person? wanting to make money and having a successful and ethical dental practice can go hand in hand, just like how it happens in medicine.

i for one am attracted to dentistry for many reasons and the amount of money dentists make is one of them.

and i'm sure all of your "mother's friends" are interested in the well being of their patients as well as making money

i just get the feeling that you have no idea what you are talking about when you are talking about dentistry. it would be like me posting in medical boards saying "well my father is a dr. and his partner just talks about money so he obviously doesn't care about his patients. oh and since i watch nip/tuck i can tell you that all plastics are snivelling and coniving money ******"

please a_student, stop posting on the dental boards, you're taking the fun out of my procrastination tool

superchris147 said:
i don't understand why wanting to make money is a crime to you. i want to make good money, am i a horrible person? wanting to make money and having a successful and ethical dental practice can go hand in hand, just like how it happens in medicine.

i for one am attracted to dentistry for many reasons and the amount of money dentists make is one of them.

and i'm sure all of your "mother's friends" are interested in the well being of their patients as well as making money

i just get the feeling that you have no idea what you are talking about when you are talking about dentistry. it would be like me posting in medical boards saying "well my father is a dr. and his partner just talks about money so he obviously doesn't care about his patients. oh and since i watch nip/tuck i can tell you that all plastics are snivelling and coniving money ******"

please a_student, stop posting on the dental boards, you're taking the fun out of my procrastination tool

Yes, you are a horible person and you will go to hell. Straight to hell with you. Whats up with wanting to support a family and drive a nice car. To hell with you. I'll see you there.