General Admissions & OTCAS How To Apply for Your Master's in OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTlovexo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a senior undergraduate student taking a year off and planning on applying to graduate school programs next cycle for my Masters in Occupational Therapy. Looking at the "GPA's, GRE's, XTRAs, etc." thread and seeing everyones stats really left me with questions:

How does one get so many hours shadowing? Do you volunteer instead for hours?
Where have you shadowed and how did you get that opportunity?
How have you "documented" your shadowing hours?
How do you find jobs that are related to this occupation without any experience?

I'm just looking for any answers related to shadowing/extracurriculars/jobs!

I have shadowed three different places but have only accumulated about 50 hours, but I see many people who have shadowed at one place for over 100 hours! I just really am looking for help to build my resume and work towards a stronger application for next year.

Members don't see this ad.

My school actually had a required class that was an internship class. We were able to pick from places in the area and we had to get a total of 150 documented hours. I know the hospitals that are around me allow students to observe with them, yours may too!

Reactions: 1 users
My school actually had a required class that was an internship class. We were able to pick from places in the area and we had to get a total of 150 documented hours. I know the hospitals that are around me allow students to observe with them, yours may too!
Was this your undergraduate school? That is so awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this your undergraduate school? That is so awesome!
I went to Murray state university in KY. But yes, it was really nice to have that class because that way it was fit into your schedule and you didn't have to worry about when you were going to have time.

Call hospitals, SNFs, outpatient clinics, etc., say you're looking to learn more about OT, and ask if they have any volunteer or observation opportunities. If any experience was OT-related and involved me observing an OT at times, I would just document on OTCAS it as observation hours, even though you will be doing volunteer stuff as well like cleaning and what not. I did my observation hours at a hospital, SNF, out patient hand therapy clinic, and outpatient peds clinic.

I documented volunteer hours as stuff outside of OT. For instance, I volunteered in the activities department at a SNF and was a friendly visitor to hospice patients.

Most places have a sign-in sheet dedicated to their volunteers that I just got a copy of before I left. For your observation hours, make sure it has the signatures of any supervising OTs. I scanned and uploaded copies of the sign-in sheets along with a business card of the facility or OT (if he/she had one). I've also heard of people creating spreadsheets with the total hours completed and each site along with signatures of the supervising OT, in order to consolidate all of the sites. If you're especially concerned, just email the admissions departments of the schools you plan on applying to.

OT schools don't require healthcare or OT-related jobs in order to be accepted, but they certainly don't hurt. I did an internship (120 hours) at a SNF my senior year of undergrad and just asked the rehab director if they were hiring rehab aides. I was hired as a rehab/OT aide a few months later and I think that definitely helped my application because it put me in a job where I had to really think like a healthcare worker. I know some people go into behavioral therapy if they're interested in peds. Sorry, I have the least amount of experience in this area because I think I got lucky with my SNF hiring around the time I was finishing my internship.

If anything in my post confused you, just give me a heads up and I can elaborate more. I've had a glass of wine so I can't guarantee perfection right now hehe

Reactions: 2 users
Call hospitals, SNFs, outpatient clinics, etc., say you're looking to learn more about OT, and ask if they have any volunteer or observation opportunities. If any experience was OT-related and involved me observing an OT at times, I would just document on OTCAS it as observation hours, even though you will be doing volunteer stuff as well like cleaning and what not. I did my observation hours at a hospital, SNF, out patient hand therapy clinic, and outpatient peds clinic.

I documented volunteer hours as stuff outside of OT. For instance, I volunteered in the activities department at a SNF and was a friendly visitor to hospice patients.

Most places have a sign-in sheet dedicated to their volunteers that I just got a copy of before I left. For your observation hours, make sure it has the signatures of any supervising OTs. I scanned and uploaded copies of the sign-in sheets along with a business card of the facility or OT (if he/she had one). I've also heard of people creating spreadsheets with the total hours completed and each site along with signatures of the supervising OT, in order to consolidate all of the sites. If you're especially concerned, just email the admissions departments of the schools you plan on applying to.

OT schools don't require healthcare or OT-related jobs in order to be accepted, but they certainly don't hurt. I did an internship (120 hours) at a SNF my senior year of undergrad and just asked the rehab director if they were hiring rehab aides. I was hired as a rehab/OT aide a few months later and I think that definitely helped my application because it put me in a job where I had to really think like a healthcare worker. I know some people go into behavioral therapy if they're interested in peds. Sorry, I have the least amount of experience in this area because I think I got lucky with my SNF hiring around the time I was finishing my internship.

If anything in my post confused you, just give me a heads up and I can elaborate more. I've had a glass of wine so I can't guarantee perfection right now hehe
This was wonderful and so helpful, thank you so much!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, OTlovexo!

I am in the Southern California Area, and there is a program called COPE Health Solutions (you will be a Health Scholar). It is an internship. However, you need to pay $200 for but the benefits and experience that you gain it is worthwhile. At the time I enrolled it was not $200 only $100, but honestly, I am so grateful that I stayed and received three recommendation letters, 400 hours of volunteer work, and a free lifetime membership in the COPE Health Solutions Alumni network. The alumni system is full of workshops such as resume, interview, and salary negotiating skills and seminars for employment advancement. Here is the website so you can explore more about the program
http://copehealthscholars.org/prosp...al-care-extender-prepstep-health-care-scholar
If you are not in the California area, my best advice is to find a private practice and ask if they need any assistance.

To answer your question about jobs related to the OT field, I am an ABA therapist, and I work with kids diagnosed with Autism. I found this opportunity through my Career Center from my alma mater. Use your resources you will be surprised what you can find! Here are some other jobs related to the OT field.

- Rehab Aide
- Medical Assistant in a rehab center
- OT/PT Aide
- OTA/PTA
- Life Skills Coach for veterans (check out Easter Seals)