How to apply to UK med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vvvv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's service to apply for med schools in UK located in US? Do med schools in UK consider MCAT? If I have MCAT score, does they consider it? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

the common application form is called UCAS: http://www.ucas.com

the way the system works in the UK, you won't need an MCAT - they (err..we?) do medicine straight out of high school for 5 or 6 years, and it is their first/only degree

hi there vvvv,
the MCAT are usually not required at all, but some schools might not mind knowing your scores, specially if they make you look great.

thought the MCAT isn't requires, as you may/should know, the UKCAT is a requirement for most if not all programs today.

You will need to fill out the UCAS online application and make sure that the schools have all materials they might expect from you such as your transcripts etc..., once they received your application from UCAS.

the UCAS applicaiton isn't that bad at all. it is cheap, easy to fill out and require only one personal statement and one reference letter (also can be done online).

if i were you i would contact all the universities you are interested in applying, after reading through their websites, with specific questions you might have about eligibility. one major difference between applying to UK med schools vs. US, is that you can only apply to 4 med school programs at first and if rejected by all you may have a go at another. therefore, you must choose "wisely"

there is a great website for UK medschools and students, much like this one in breadth and depth of information, it is http://www.newmediamedicine.com/

good luck!

sumina
-----------------------------------
applied UCAS 2005 for deferred entry in 2007 - 1 offer, 3 rejections

Members don't see this ad :)
how do international students pay their tuition fees in UK medical school?

own money i.e. family? loans? scholarships?

i'm using loans and scholarships (though loans will be the great majority, at least in year 1).

many international students use loans or family to pay. however you can afford it, do it, unless you are happy going somewhere cheaper.

between the US and the UK, the price different is not that much, though the UK comes out to be more expensive b/c of the extra year.

sumina

thank you very much for your info

by the way, are you an international student?

if yes, where do you get your loans from?

thanks

im lucky enough to have parents who are footing the bill...i believe this comes up on your Visa papers, too..