How to approach roommate about noise during MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMS0732

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My issue is the noise-level in the apartment currently. It's not loud to the point where I feel like a complaint is justified, but it is too loud to study properly.
Have you tried white noise, like running a noisy fan, a sleep machine, or an app on your phone meant for the same purpose? +/- the noise-canceling headphones.

Reactions: 1 users
1.5 months?? Tell them to check into a hotel.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Hey, would you please speak a little quieter when I'm studying?" Don't overthink it - set reasonable boundaries and if she disagrees try to work out an amicable compromise.

Reactions: 2 users
Don’t noise-canceling headphones block out noise from a normal conversation? Maybe it’s cause I haven’t worn them in a while, but if you are wearing noise-canceling headphones and in a different room with the door closed, and you can still hear them talking, they’d have to be like shouting right? It’s not unreasonable to ask your roommate to tell her family not to yell. Just don’t be aggressive about it, and if she seems doubtful that they are being that loud, mention that you’re in another room with noise-canceling headphones and can still hear them.

Don’t noise-canceling headphones block out noise from a normal conversation? Maybe it’s cause I haven’t worn them in a while, but if you are wearing noise-canceling headphones and in a different room with the door closed, and you can still hear them talking, they’d have to be like shouting right? It’s not unreasonable to ask your roommate to tell her family not to yell. Just don’t be aggressive about it, and if she seems doubtful that they are being that loud, mention that you’re in another room with noise-canceling headphones and can still hear them.
Yeah, I was thinking that or they have a really crappy pair (or just aren't wearing them all the time)

Don’t noise-canceling headphones block out noise from a normal conversation?

They don't. In fact, they often make it easier to hear by cancelling the normal white noise.

OP, can you isolate yourself to a room and better soundproof that room? It might just be one part of the room that's allowing the noise in like a thin door. Soundproofing can be anything that will absorb sound - cloth, foam, etc. Before the inevitable unproductive replies: Yes, I'm serious.

They don't. In fact, they often make it easier to hear by cancelling the normal white noise.

OP, can you isolate yourself to a room and better soundproof that room? It might just be one part of the room that's allowing the noise in like a thin door. Soundproofing can be anything that will absorb sound - cloth, foam, etc. Before the inevitable unproductive replies: Yes, I'm serious.

Good to know. I don't actually ever use noise-canceling headphones. I listen to music or a movie I've seen a hundred times to help me focus. But then again, background noise doesn't really bother me.

Go to the library. If they aren’t yelling, they should be able to talk in the living room.

Reactions: 6 users

I'll second this, there are certain types of foam you can easily find that really help absorb sound!

And maybe try earplugs? You can use them while taking the MCAT too!

Going to library after working may be a drag, but seems to be your best option. I have to study with my boys (5 and 2) constantly fighting and yelling, but I find it worth it to commute to the library to study in peace.

Sounds like you’re going to the library. They have a right to be there acting normal; if you can’t study while people are in the other room acting normal that is a personal problem that they aren’t responsible to solve for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My first response was a baseball bat and I only mean that in half jest. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would easily become a scream maniac about the noise and likely scare the people away. It your fcking apartment and why should feel forced to go to the fcking library after fcking working all day and if they cant keep fcking quiet they should go to a fcking hotel. A couple nites screaming that at them should scare them off. Sorry if I am too blunt or direct in this
It is a shared apartment and there has been no indication of the time of day these conversations (not loud partying but just normal talking to other people is all that has been described) are taking place so it is possible it is all going down during the day when there is no expectation of keeping things library quiet. Or perhaps it is in tbe early evening and next the op is going to insist they don't cook or eat because the pots and dishes make too much noise. Now if it actually is loud stuff after 9 or 10 then I would agree.

It's her space too, so you should be able to talk to her about what you're doing, how much quiet time you need, and hopefully the two of you can work something out.

I like using earplugs. I have lots of similar sound issues, and I never felt it was fair to continually tell my roommates to be quiet (when all they were doing was talking). Earplugs made all the difference.

For me headphones with white noise (actually I prefer brown, lots of apps that will let you flip through varieties to one that’s soothing) work well. You can sit in a noisy coffeehouse and be sonically isolated when needed.

I think the most you can actually do is ask if they could do their best to not make any extra noise "because this is the most important test I've ever taken blah blah blah." After that, I feel like anything else is pushing it on your end. If they're not being excessive there's no reason they should have to walk on eggshells because of your life goals. Unless you specifically talked about this period of time before moving in together. If not, take it to a library and deal with it. She shouldn't have to change her ways of normal living because you want to be a doctor without going to a library.

My first response was a baseball bat and I only mean that in half jest. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would easily become a scream maniac about the noise and likely scare the people away. It your fcking apartment and why should feel forced to go to the fcking library after fcking working all day and if they cant keep fcking quiet they should go to a fcking hotel. A couple nites screaming that at them should scare them off. Sorry if I am too blunt or direct in this

If you're going to live with other people, you accept the fact that they might have guests and might even converse with those guests. I am sensitive to noise and easily distracted myself, so I live alone. By paying more for rent, I buy the right to not be bothered. I wouldn't expect to split rent with another person without giving up that right.

Reactions: 1 users
Have a talk with your friend and come up with a compromise. That might mean a specific hour or two where they won't have people over, and you going to the library or somewhere else for an hour or two to study. As others mention, it would be unreasonable to not expect them to have normal conversations in their own home, but it's reasonable to work together towards a compromise.

If the library is too far away, consider staying at work and studying there (if it's a place conducive to studying). Or go to a nearby hotel and study in the lobby. Study in the park if it's a nice day. The odds are there's some kind of place you can study on the way to/from work.

Guests for a month and a half?

Unless I'm missing something, 1.5 months is the maximum time guests are allowed to stay per the lease, not the amount of time that these guests are actually staying.

Move out. Seriously. If you can't get along with your roommate, then move.

I think you’re being unreasonable here. If they aren’t yelling or playing loud music they are in their right to be there.....and live normal lives. If someone came up to me and ask me to not talk with family in my own home then we would have some serious issues. And for the record I’m in the same situation with a roommate. I just go to the library. I’m not going to ask my roommate to be quiet in his own home. Besides that I have neighbors and people outside there making noise too. You won’t get total peace and quiet at an apartment complex. Not happening. Or better yet you could use any study areas your apartment complex offers you.

In short they aren’t being unreasonably loud and her guests are aloud to be there. You have no grounds to tell them to quiet down or kick them out. Library is the solution here.