How to be a supportive Wife to a med student

AmberR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Im needing help and advice on how to be a supportive wife to my husband that will be starting med school next year.

We are excepting our first baby together this April. He already has a 5 year old son from his last marrige. Im worried that when he is in med school he wont have time for us (his fmaily) :(

Does anyone out there know of what I could do to help him through this? And anything that would help us when he gets into med school to keep our family together?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
Im needing help and advice on how to be a supportive wife to my husband that will be starting med school next year.

We are excepting our first baby together this April. He already has a 5 year old son from his last marrige. Im worried that when he is in med school he wont have time for us (his fmaily) :(

Does anyone out there know of what I could do to help him through this? And anything that would help us when he gets into med school to keep our family together?

Thanks

Please see the thread titled "nice gestures you would appreciate". That is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're having a baby, so you wont have time for him, and he's in med school, so he wont have time for you. Its a win-win as long as no one gets jealous and starts complaining how the other person is not spending enough time together.

Understand that he will need to spend a lot of time studying. If he can have an office at home, let him study there. Don't bother him when he's in there (and let him have veto power in that room. Meaning, let it be messy -- to a point) and he'll want to study at home. That way he's still around, even if you can't hangout. Of course, once 3rd yr rolls around, he'll have to be gone to the hospital.
Make dinners, do most of the chores and just try and be understanding. Also, he will need to make friends when he first starts school. Encourage him to mingle, and you go along too! It will make you feel like you have a social network and he needs to be around others who understand what he's going through at that time.

I was in this boat some time ago when my wife was inschool. A lot of patience and findyourself a hobby! My hobby is making guitars! Takes time and patience which was perfect for when we were away from each other!

Lots and lots of patience is the best advice I got - I made it through it but now I'm searching for some advice to get through residency! I thought it would be easier but it turns out, I would take MS1 or 2 over this any day! Any advice/suggestions out there?

Lots and lots of patience is the best advice I got - I made it through it but now I'm searching for some advice to get through residency! I thought it would be easier but it turns out, I would take MS1 or 2 over this any day! Any advice/suggestions out there?

It never gets better until you can somewhat control your own schedule.

It can get better after residency esp if you are willing to work less hrs and make less money.