How to be competitive while working 45 hour a week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jalwa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone working 45 hours (non pharmacy)job a week plus taking two to three science courses ?

How should I approach building stronger portfolio if I lack pharmacy and volunteer experience ?

I got two semester to go before I start shooting app to choice of pharmacy school. That said, I barely have time for volunteer (non profit) or get a pharm tech job. Any recommendation how to strength my app.

I hope ad com considers 45 hour a week work schedule as a plus.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know ad com's found my 45-50 hr work week appealing especially in fall 09 because I took Bio II and Orgo I. I believe it helped my less than stellar pcat score, but then again my job is pharmacy related. I would try to get some volunteer experience to make up for the non-pharmacy job that encompasses most of your time

Anyone working 45 hours (non pharmacy)job a week plus taking two to three science courses ?

How should I approach building stronger portfolio if I lack pharmacy and volunteer experience ?

I got two semester to go before I start shooting app to choice of pharmacy school. That said, I barely have time for volunteer (non profit) or get a pharm tech job. Any recommendation how to strength my app.

I hope ad com considers 45 hour a week work schedule as a plus.

Thanks
Are you a post-bacc doing a full-time job on your earlier degree?

As long as you have close to a 4.0, you should be fine, regardless if the job is pharmacy-related or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have close to a 4.0, you should be fine, regardless if the job is pharmacy-related or not.

Really?!! Close to a 4.0 will be fine?!
Umm, I think the OP is asking how to get higher grades and build in other areas while still working full-time..

To the OP, since you don't have a lot of time during the semesters, I would suggest volunteer work during the breaks..I have done volunteer work at a food bank, Teach for America (tutoring 2nd graders who were a year behind because of Hurricane Katrina..I really did get a lot out of this experience, all of these kids could barely read. I took one afternoon a week and worked with them and learned so much & it felt REALLY GOOD when they were able to read short books, knowing that I helped), Student Health Advocates (putting together wellness fairs for the campus, presentations about drug abuse among college kids, etc), church nursery volunteering...since you are limited to time in between semesters, I would suggest something like the food bank or a nursing home or church nursery where you don't have to organize/set up events..you can just show up and help!

Really?!! Close to a 4.0 will be fine?!
Umm, I think the OP is asking how to get higher grades and build in other areas while still working full-time..

To the OP, since you don't have a lot of time during the semesters, I would suggest volunteer work during the breaks..I have done volunteer work at a food bank, Teach for America (tutoring 2nd graders who were a year behind because of Hurricane Katrina..I really did get a lot out of this experience, all of these kids could barely read. I took one afternoon a week and worked with them and learned so much & it felt REALLY GOOD when they were able to read short books, knowing that I helped), Student Health Advocates (putting together wellness fairs for the campus, presentations about drug abuse among college kids, etc), church nursery volunteering...since you are limited to time in between semesters, I would suggest something like the food bank or a nursing home or church nursery where you don't have to organize/set up events..you can just show up and help!
Sorry, I have friends who are post-bacc's that are getting close to 4.0s and applying to med school; they keep on telling me they won't get in, even though their stats are amazing, and I keep on telling them they'll get in... they need the reassurance.

Anyway, Haley, you didn't say you were full-time, because if you are, that is impressive. If you're not, well, it's not as easy probably for him. I think he'll have a better chance getting close to 4.0 than finding time to do volunteer work.

OP: Can you possibly see if you can get some time off every week for school? Some of my friends (which I mentioned above) have done so, some easily, some not so.

I averaged 35 hours a week for my five years of undergrad. I will tell you it's not easy and it can be very exhausting at times. You really have to make sure you have your priorities in order and you have to be able to tell yourself to sit down and do something when you really don't want to.

I worked full-time through undergrad, too. It SUCKED. But, it is all about time management. Get A's and B's and fit in some volunteer work where you can. There are a lot of one or two day type volunteer events (for health fairs and what not) that will help. You can also volunteer once or twice a month at some places. Healthcare type setting is probably preferable but anything will do. Coffee = your friend through college.

I have my undergraduate in BS Management with not so stellar gpa. Let say 2.89 cumulative gpa, without any science course. So if I end getting 3.5 to 4.0 in prerequisite then gpa should rise to 3.1 or 3.2, based on the pharmcas system.

I can't take more than two to three courses per semester while working. It just gets to hard, besides hate to see my grade suffer. However, next semester plan on taking 15 credits to show adcom of my competitiveness and prove my ability to handle upper division courses. Will also try to find some time for volunteer like many of you suggested. Also quite work if I can get a pharmacy tech position paying decent wage.

I appreciate the reassurance, it helps me strengths the inner game.

I wish I knew what I wanted when I was young.

Thank you

Ben

Last edited:
I worked full-time through undergrad, too. It SUCKED. But, it is all about time management. Get A's and B's and fit in some volunteer work where you can. There are a lot of one or two day type volunteer events (for health fairs and what not) that will help. You can also volunteer once or twice a month at some places. Healthcare type setting is probably preferable but anything will do. Coffee = your friend through college.

True that. Coffee is king.

See that your a wild cat fan. :) U of A rules. I lived in Tucson for 10 years before moving.

Good stuff.

ben

OMG biggest pet peeve of mine- when people say "they volunteer"- but it's for one day at some relay for life event or pf chang run..... 1 DAY! Not every week! GRR

OMG biggest pet peeve of mine- when people say "they volunteer"- but it's for one day at some relay for life event or pf chang run..... 1 DAY! Not every week! GRR

Yeah but on PharmCAS, you indicate them as such (as one day events or include the hours). For people who work full-time, it isn't as easy to get in volunteer hours unless it is summer. Lots of volunteer places want you to commit to like 6 months or so of volunteering which sucks when you only have the summer.

Pet peeve? Really?

Nicole, no offense whatsoever, and I'm being straight here, but we've not heard if you are you headed to pharmacy school... so are you?

Props to you guys who pull 35+ hrs/week while going to school full-time. You guys are the ultimate time managers.

I believe that if I were in such a situation, I would cut down my hours to focus on my studies.

Pet peeve? Really?

Nicole, no offense whatsoever, and I'm being straight here, but we've not heard if you are you headed to pharmacy school... so are you?

Yes, pet peeve. I think it stinks when people spend NUMEROUS hours volunteering (and show TRUE dedication and commitment) while some people volunteer on ONE instance and get the same "credit" I guess you could say for being a volunteer.

And I still have 1 more year before I apply.

Well, some people need to work to get through school... full-time and part-time. Volunteering on our free time is not what we would have liked to do (considering scheduling school, job, studying), but the opportunities we got, even if it was one event worth 2 or 3 hours, are worthwhile.