This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOU908

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Junior right now. Now I am a little afraid of grad school and how you will intensely study for 2-3 years. Right now, I am not too confident about performing well in grad school, PT or OT. Over the past few semesters, I have been trying to become a better student with no prevail. So, I am concern that I will fall behind in my studies in grad school.

Plus, I fear that grad schools are going to break me. I cannot handle stress well and I need constant breaks for me to keep my sanity. I am afraid that I could not afford that much breaks in grad school. Also, I can only take 4 classes per semester in order for me to get control of my life and studying. One time, I took 5 courses and I completely collapsed and ended up dropping a course. I know grad schools sometimes make you take more than 4.

I am wondering what advice can you give me regarding my studying (just spill everything you know and think of) and developing a spine emotionally and mentally.

Or am I over exaggerating? Or am I being a wimp or lazy?

Sorry for my bad grammar if there is one.

Members don't see this ad.

Be prepared to spend the majority of your time studying. That has been my experience attending OT school. At my school, we only take 4 classes per semester. Being organized is key, so just plan out ur days well so that u have enough time for studying, friends and family, exercise and hobbies.

Reactions: 1 user
Organization is definitely key. Also, if schools really do make you lose your sanity (like, literally), don't be afraid to ask about disability services, going to therapy, and that sort of thing. Mental illness (even anxiety and/or depression) is a legitimate reason seek help at disabled student services. Disabled students are able to be part-time without penalty. Of course, it will take you longer to finish, but it's an option and grad school shouldn't be dismissed!

And if you don't think your stress is severe enough to use those resources, therapy is totally an option as well (you don't have to be "sick" to go). It might help you figure out how to handle stress better, and find out why things feel so overwhelming to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! It actually took me a few extra years to complete my undergrad because I get stressed easily. I also don't do too well under pressure.. So needless to say I have the same issue as you and don't have too much advice to offer. Right now to prepare I am getting a jumpstart on studying the basics of OT and anatomy before I start my program. I heard that there are some part-time programs so it might be a good idea to apply to those schools.. Idk which ones offer part-time enrollment though. Since you are a junior maybe take on extra classes to see how you handle that? However that is a bit of a gamble because if you don't do too well it will drop your gpa. I'm interested to see if anyone has advice as well because this is a major concern of mine too.

Not a graduate student yet.. but I am an older undergrad student, and a single mom.

My advice would be to really seek out how passionate you are about going into OT/PT. I’m not sure how much of your shadowing you have completed, but if it doesn’t energize you every time you go, then will studying the tough material to get there —motivate you?

The pre-requirements are there for a reason. Start knocking them out and see how you feel about that. It’s definitely okay to be curious, but I bet you are being harder than you need to be on yourself. I think you can do this.

Hi!
I'm in my first semester of OT school and for someone who felt similarly starting out, it's actually not too bad. I was worried about 6 classes at first, but it only feels like I'm taking 4. I agree with a previous poster in that you need to figure out if either PT or OT is right for you first...I strongly disagree about one of them being a backup of the other doesn't work out.

Efficient time management plug in times off for personal stuff to relax you and keep your mind away from school in a little bit. However, keep in mind to prioritize and avoid "procrastination" so that it wont mess up your times off. Most importantly, do one thing at a time within the allotted schedule. Meaning, worry other stuff until you get that schedule. This is the point of scheduling so that stress level is low. Practice this while you are still undergrad and if could become consistent and discipline. You are well prepared for graduate school.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a Junior right now. Now I am a little afraid of grad school and how you will intensely study for 2-3 years. Right now, I am not too confident about performing well in grad school, PT or OT. Over the past few semesters, I have been trying to become a better student with no prevail. So, I am concern that I will fall behind in my studies in grad school.

Plus, I fear that grad schools are going to break me. I cannot handle stress well and I need constant breaks for me to keep my sanity. I am afraid that I could not afford that much breaks in grad school. Also, I can only take 4 classes per semester in order for me to get control of my life and studying. One time, I took 5 courses and I completely collapsed and ended up dropping a course. I know grad schools sometimes make you take more than 4.

I am wondering what advice can you give me regarding my studying (just spill everything you know and think of) and developing a spine emotionally and mentally.

Or am I over exaggerating? Or am I being a wimp or lazy?

Sorry for my bad grammar if there is one.

Hi there,

I think I'm qualified enough to chime in since I just recently graduated and had the extremely rare privilege to attend 2 OT schools........I NEVER struggled in undergrad and was taking 6-7 classes while maintaining straight As but that all changed when I attended my first OT school, which was the most miserable experience in my life. In my first program, the cohort itself wasn't supportive(cliquey, cuthroat, etc.) and neither were the teachers which affects you emotionally and mentally so much. My second OT school was the exact opposite, everyone was supportive and the teachers really wanted to us to succeed and do well. Needless to say I strived in my second program as opposed to being a miserable **** in my first program. The difference was night and day......Bottom line is you have to pick a program that suits you well and gives you the best chance at succeeding. At my second school, they allowed students to go part time if needed (which is what i originally planned, but i was able to handle full time coursework). I strongly encourage you to attend different OT schools and get a "feel" for how these schools were. Often your gut feeling about the school is right 95% of the time. Lastly, don't stress(yet), just keep on improving you gpa, volunteer hours, and etc. in the best way for you possible(even if that means decreasing your courseload).

Regarding studying and time management:
You need to figure out a way which optimizes how you to learn best. That could either be studying in groups(very rarely did i do that) or studying by yourself and getting lost in the material (my preferred style). Also figure out your learning style( are you visual, audio, kinesthetic?). What works for me is actually incorporating all my senses. For example: I would read a sentence from the chapter, underline with a marker, write it down in my own words on that page, and then again paraphrase by saying it out loud( "okay so radial nerve damage causes wrist drop because the nerve is responsible for the extensors of the wrist" while acting it on my actual hand). For time management, it's just a matter of discipline and organization(for me at least). I would print out and make my own schedule(8:00-3:00pm class, 4:00-5:00pm gym, 6-9pm study) and then just sticking to it. Figure out what works best for you now, it will pay off it the end when you get into OT school. Good luck!

EDIT: If you have time, go read a book called "The 7 habits of highly effective people". That book really changed my life in all aspects.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am in my first semester of grad school. We’re in four classes with clinical gross anatomy taking up most of my time. School is definitely challenging, but if you have the drive, you will succeed. Get a little bit done every day so you don’t get overwhelmed. Really think about whether or not you want this, because if you’re unsure, you’re going to struggle. If you don’t have a clear drive to pursue OT, then maybe it’s not right for you. Grad school will challenge your resolve and willpower but if you’re dedicated, you can do it! Develop some good destressing techniques. Mine are working out and watching my shows. I seriously can’t believe I’m almost done with my first semester. It goes by pretty fast

Hi there,

I think I'm qualified enough to chime in since I just recently graduated and had the extremely rare privilege to attend 2 OT schools........I NEVER struggled in undergrad and was taking 6-7 classes while maintaining straight As but that all changed when I attended my first OT school, which was the most miserable experience in my life. In my first program, the cohort itself wasn't supportive(cliquey, cuthroat, etc.) and neither were the teachers which affects you emotionally and mentally so much. My second OT school was the exact opposite, everyone was supportive and the teachers really wanted to us to succeed and do well. Needless to say I strived in my second program as opposed to being a miserable **** in my first program. The difference was night and day......Bottom line is you have to pick a program that suits you well and gives you the best chance at succeeding. At my second school, they allowed students to go part time if needed (which is what i originally planned, but i was able to handle full time coursework). I strongly encourage you to attend different OT schools and get a "feel" for how these schools were. Often your gut feeling about the school is right 95% of the time. Lastly, don't stress(yet), just keep on improving you gpa, volunteer hours, and etc. in the best way for you possible(even if that means decreasing your courseload).

You need to figure out a way which optimizes how you to learn best. That could either be studying in groups(very rarely did i do that) or studying by yourself and getting lost in the material (my preferred style). Also figure out your learning style( are you visual, audio, kinesthetic?). What works for me is actually incorporating all my senses. For example: I would read a sentence from the chapter, underline with a marker, write it down in my own words on that page, and then again paraphrase by saying it out loud( "okay so radial nerve damage causes wrist drop because the nerve is responsible for the extensors of the wrist" while acting it on my actual hand). For time management, it's just a matter of discipline and organization(for me at least). I would print out and make my own schedule(8:00-3:00pm class, 4:00-5:00pm gym, 6-9pm study) and then just sticking to it. Figure out what works best for you now, it will pay off it the end when you get into OT school. Good luck!

EDIT: If you have time, go read a book called "The 7 habits of highly effective people". That book really changed my life in all aspects.

Hi there,

Hi there, would you mind sharing which two OT schools you attended? Thanks!