How to become NP/PA with existing degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon-y-mouse

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cousin's always dreamed about becoming a nurse practitioner, and I really think she would be good at it. She's got a bachelor's and master's in computer science, and she currently has a very high paying job in silicon valley. She's extremely good with people, and her ability to grasp and learn is absolutely phenomenal, so I'm sure she would excel as a NP. What's the quickest track she can become one, education-wise? 4 years of BSN + 2 years MSN seems a little tedious. Are there any accelerated-track NP programs? Should she perhaps consider PA? Would that be a much faster track, with the degrees she already has? As for specifics, something in the California Bay Area would be most ideal.

Members don't see this ad.

there are 3 yr programs called direct entry nurse practitioner programs for anyone who has a prior bs and all the needed science prereqs.
year 1 gets the bsn
year 2 and 3 to complete the msn/fnp.

this is the ucsf program:
http://nurseweb.ucsf.edu/www/ps-em.htm

there are 3 yr programs called direct entry nurse practitioner programs for anyone who has a prior bs and all the needed science prereqs.
year 1 gets the bsn
year 2 and 3 to complete the msn/fnp.

Thanks a lot :) I really appreciate it.

What about for PA? Can that potentially be a shorter time commitment?

There's a direct NP track (I just googled) at UCSF which seems to be pretty good... any word on just how hard it is to get into? UCSF medicine, obviously, is ridiculously selective.

What standardized tests (if any) are required for entrance into these programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
starting from scratch with a nonscience bs degree np is probably the faster route.also np students can typically work during their programs while pa students can not.
pa would be at least 2 yrs of prereqs+ 2 yrs of school, not to mention that the majority of pa programs also require health care experience.most pa programs now require the gre. don't know about direct entry np.

PA might be faster IF she already has all the pre-reqs (pretty similar to those for med school, check with individual programs).
Many but not all PA programs require prior BS/BA, most but not all require prior direct health care experience.
If she wants to stay in CA, have her research all of the PA & NP programs nearby that would be feasible for her to attend. Then she should contact the individual programs and explain her situation and get a sense of how friendly the programs are given her circumstances.
Good luck to your cousin.
(FWIW, I am surprised you would even recommend she consider PA given your long history of outspoken denigration of our profession on this very forum, but hey, there you go.)

Thanks a lot :) I really appreciate it.

What about for PA? Can that potentially be a shorter time commitment?

There's a direct NP track (I just googled) at UCSF which seems to be pretty good... any word on just how hard it is to get into? UCSF medicine, obviously, is ridiculously selective.

What standardized tests (if any) are required for entrance into these programs?

The other thing she has to think about is what do she want to do with the degree. PAs are limited by what their supervising physicians can do. NPs are limited by their area of nursing specialty and state law.

A lot of NPs in the past got FNP degrees which allowed them to see both Peds and adults. While hospitals had allowed FNPs to work inpatient jobs, with the ACNP there is a move to restrict FNPs from inpatient positions. Also with the use of NPPs in specialty positions there is a question on what type of NP should be seeing these patients.

One of the problems with dividing things along nursing lines instead of medical lines is that most specialty practices cross both inpatient and outpatient lines and age boundaries. In our practice (adult GI) we occasionally see patients as young as 14. Depending on where your state draws the boundary this could be a hindrance to employment. Also if you want to work in surgery, this is pretty much PA driven.

I would also wonder about the employability of DE NPs. The cornerstone of the NP is supposed to be expanded practice based on nursing competence. Several of the posters on allnurses state they have no problems finding jobs, but around here they are working as RNs (so are the experienced nurses though).

Overall both professions will function similarly for the most part. It is how you get to the end. Given the nursing salaries in the Bay area, it might be better to get an RN, work in the hospital for a while and see if she likes medicine. From there you could do either the PA or RN.

David Carpenter, PA-C

(FWIW, I am surprised you would even recommend she consider PA given your long history of outspoken denigration of our profession on this very forum, but hey, there you go.)

I am all for midlevels for what they were designed to do. I am against equating midlevels with physicians, and the delusions that often arise when political midlevel groups lobby for greater power. My cousin knows she doesn't want to be a doctor, and has a really grounded sense of what she should and shouldn't do, and what she does and doesn't know... unlike the interactions with midlevels I've had on various teams I have been on at the hospital (I could give many stories and anecdotes, but SDN has heard too much of this). Fortunately I have also had the experience of working with some PA's who bent over backwards to teach me what they knew about their specialty, didn't have a chip on their shoulder, recognized the training differences between them and their physician colleagues, and were just generally great people overall (and treated with lots of respect in the team). I see the midlevel position as filling in important gaps in the US healthcare system -- complementary, but not an alternative to the physician role.

Thanks for your tips on prereqs and contacting programs... I'll make sure she does that, and tries to get some healthcare field exposure!

emedpa: That's great information that NP students can work during their degree, this might be something she can consider. I imagine that NP classes might be held during nights, etc.

core0: thanks so much for your explanations of the delineations and limitations! This is very useful information. I take it DE = Direct Entry? I think she'd be working in primary care, but I'm not entirely sure of that. Since many people in my family are physicians, we're investigating the idea of opening up a multi-specialty clinic which she could definitely work in as well.

What did you mean by nursing salaries in the Bay area? good? bad?

starting from scratch with a nonscience bs degree np is probably the faster route.also np students can typically work during their programs while pa students can not.
pa would be at least 2 yrs of prereqs+ 2 yrs of school, not to mention that the majority of pa programs also require health care experience.most pa programs now require the gre. don't know about direct entry np.

I don't think this is as true when the student hasn't completed the core nursing program. You have to get the RN first, one way or another. While some students do work while getting the basic nursing education, it's not the norm., particularly in an accellerated program.

Nursing school is not a cakewalk.

Fair enough anon-y-mouse, and glad I could help.
Lisa

I am all for midlevels for what they were designed to do. I am against equating midlevels with physicians, and the delusions that often arise when political midlevel groups lobby for greater power. My cousin knows she doesn't want to be a doctor, and has a really grounded sense of what she should and shouldn't do, and what she does and doesn't know... unlike the interactions with midlevels I've had on various teams I have been on at the hospital (I could give many stories and anecdotes, but SDN has heard too much of this). Fortunately I have also had the experience of working with some PA's who bent over backwards to teach me what they knew about their specialty, didn't have a chip on their shoulder, recognized the training differences between them and their physician colleagues, and were just generally great people overall (and treated with lots of respect in the team). I see the midlevel position as filling in important gaps in the US healthcare system -- complementary, but not an alternative to the physician role.

Thanks for your tips on prereqs and contacting programs... I'll make sure she does that, and tries to get some healthcare field exposure!

emedpa: That's great information that NP students can work during their degree, this might be something she can consider. I imagine that NP classes might be held during nights, etc.

core0: thanks so much for your explanations of the delineations and limitations! This is very useful information. I take it DE = Direct Entry? I think she'd be working in primary care, but I'm not entirely sure of that. Since many people in my family are physicians, we're investigating the idea of opening up a multi-specialty clinic which she could definitely work in as well.

The other thing she has to think about is what do she want to do with the degree. PAs are limited by what their supervising physicians can do. NPs are limited by their area of nursing specialty and state law.

A lot of NPs in the past got FNP degrees which allowed them to see both Peds and adults. While hospitals had allowed FNPs to work inpatient jobs, with the ACNP there is a move to restrict FNPs from inpatient positions. Also with the use of NPPs in specialty positions there is a question on what type of NP should be seeing these patients.

One of the problems with dividing things along nursing lines instead of medical lines is that most specialty practices cross both inpatient and outpatient lines and age boundaries. In our practice (adult GI) we occasionally see patients as young as 14. Depending on where your state draws the boundary this could be a hindrance to employment. Also if you want to work in surgery, this is pretty much PA driven.

I would also wonder about the employability of DE NPs. The cornerstone of the NP is supposed to be expanded practice based on nursing competence. Several of the posters on allnurses state they have no problems finding jobs, but around here they are working as RNs (so are the experienced nurses though).

Overall both professions will function similarly for the most part. It is how you get to the end. Given the nursing salaries in the Bay area, it might be better to get an RN, work in the hospital for a while and see if she likes medicine. From there you could do either the PA or RN.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I'm opposed to DE programs; always have been and I suspect I always will be. There's so much you can learn from taking care of pts. as a bedside nurse that can be applied later in practice as an NP.

I don't think this is as true when the student hasn't completed the core nursing program. You have to get the RN first, one way or another. While some students do work while getting the basic nursing education, it's not the norm., particularly in an accellerated program.

Nursing school is not a cakewalk.

I would imagine that the 1st yr is fairly intense.
year 2 and 3 are the regular np curriculum( ie part time) so one could work yr 2 and 3 as an rn while taking np classes.

Yes, DE is direct entry.

Good. Nursing salaries in the Bay are very high for a number of reasons:
http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=rn+east+medical+surgical&l1=San+Francisco,+CA

That is probably more that you would make as a new grad PA and probably more than you would make as a FNP doing FP. You could probably be in the mid 80's as a new grad with nights and overtime. We see the same issue in my market. New grad NP salaries have traditionally been around $5k less than PA salaries. This is less than an experienced nurse can make in the hospital. Of the 7-8 ICU nurses I know that have graduated NP school in the last two years, only one is working as an NP. She took a $10k pay cut to do that.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I would imagine that the 1st yr is fairly intense.
year 2 and 3 are the regular np curriculum( ie part time) so one could work yr 2 and 3 as an rn while taking np classes.

I repeat: It's not a cakewalk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I repeat: It's not a cakewalk.

I didn't say it was. the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of np students work while in school. that's all I'm saying.
if you know a bunch who didn't then say that. all the np students I know/have known( N around 50 or so) have worked 12-24 hrs/week-usually 1-2 12 hr shifts/week- while in school).
full time clinicals for all the local np programs around here are 3 eight hr days/week x 4-5 weeks(around 80-100 hrs) per rotation for a total of 5-8 rotations (500-800 hrs). 24 hrs of school/week leaves a lot of time to work, that's all I'm saying. no comment made or implied regarding the quality of those hrs on rotation.

I'm opposed to DE programs; always have been and I suspect I always will be. There's so much you can learn from taking care of pts. as a bedside nurse that can be applied later in practice as an NP.

You are not alone. I am in a DE program and about half of the recruiters I have talked to say that they would not hire a DE student and the other half say that if the DE student is a better candidate, they would.

The thing about it is, like emedpa said, the majority of the NP students I have encountered either work bedside while taking the masters courses OR plan to be researchers, in which case the need for exposure to bedside care is minimized.

For me, my advisor recommends taking three years to finish the masters portion as opposed to two making it so that, in theory, I could have three years RN experience upon graduation. Makes sense to me...

my advisor recommends taking three years to finish the masters portion as opposed to two making it so that, in theory, I could have three years RN experience upon graduation.

Well, your hire date would be three calendar years prior to graduation, but an employer might or might not consider that three years.

I got that when I filled out my CASPA application; I'd been working as an ER tech part-time, a few nights a week in addition to my day job. So I'd been an employee since fall 2003. I was part-time until summer 05, then went away to a postbac year, working a couple of shifts over winter break. When I got back, it was full-time for 10 months before I left for PA school.

Which is fine and dandy, except they asked me to add up an estimate of the hours I'd worked. On the calendar it was almost four years, but in terms of how many 36-hour-weeks I had done, it was much much less.

Even if you have another BS degree, I believe you still have to get the RN degree. Even people in my class who got their BSN and went on to grad school in nursing had to take their boards asap to get that RN (you have some leway if you just want to work right after graduation, and can work on permit).
I have a good friend who has an English BS who was thinking about getting her NP at Buffalo. They told her she could apply for an accelerated program, but still had to complete all the prereqs and nursing program.

Even if you have another BS degree, I believe you still have to get the RN degree. Even people in my class who got their BSN and went on to grad school in nursing had to take their boards asap to get that RN (you have some leway if you just want to work right after graduation, and can work on permit).
I have a good friend who has an English BS who was thinking about getting her NP at Buffalo. They told her she could apply for an accelerated program, but still had to complete all the prereqs and nursing program.

In the direct entry programs you take prereqs before you start and then take the nursing boards after yr 1 to get the rn/bsn then you do 2 more years for the msn/np. it is meant to be a seamless transition from rn courses to np courses.

Well, your hire date would be three calendar years prior to graduation, but an employer might or might not consider that three years.

I got that when I filled out my CASPA application; I'd been working as an ER tech part-time, a few nights a week in addition to my day job. So I'd been an employee since fall 2003. I was part-time until summer 05, then went away to a postbac year, working a couple of shifts over winter break. When I got back, it was full-time for 10 months before I left for PA school.

Which is fine and dandy, except they asked me to add up an estimate of the hours I'd worked. On the calendar it was almost four years, but in terms of how many 36-hour-weeks I had done, it was much much less.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I would be working FULL TIME for those three years and goingto school part time rather than the other way around.

I have to clarify your comments. "RN" is not a degree; it is a license. I completed a BSN degree, then took the exam to receive my RN license. It's feasible that someone could have a BSN, never pass the exam, and never be allowed to practice as an RN.

I have to clarify your comments. "RN" is not a degree; it is a license. I completed a BSN degree, then took the exam to receive my RN license. It's feasible that someone could have a BSN, never pass the exam, and never be allowed to practice as an RN.

Oh I just mistyped there. As you can see I clearly stated that people with their BSN starting grad school had to hurry up and pass the boards to get their RN. I have my BSN and RN as well.

2 RNs in my PA class with 14+ years experience each. They both said they chose PA because NP is more theory and less practice than the PA Medical Model of training. Thoughts?

Just conversation stimulation people, I have no reference as I have never been to RN, MSN or NP school...:love:

2 RNs in my PA class with 14+ years experience each. They both said they chose PA because NP is more theory and less practice than the PA Medical Model of training. Thoughts?

Just conversation stimulation people, I have no reference as I have never been to RN, MSN or NP school...:love:

I've got 13 years exp, and I would agree w/ them...

though, after this many years in, I can't imagine why a long time nurse would want to go PA/NP (speaking from a salary vs liability standpoint)

I (and many long time RNs) make 6 figures, working shift work, w/ no OT...

Personally, I don't want the extra liability, more loans, for the same (entry level) salary...

though, after this many years in, I can't imagine why a long time nurse would want to go PA/NP (speaking from a salary vs liability standpoint)

Personally, I don't want the extra liability, more loans, for the same (entry level) salary...

I would agree for primary care but a new grad pa in em/ortho/surgery can make 80-110k to start + full benefits and retirement without overtime. not too many rn's can say that unless they are travellers

Because it is the exception to make that kind of money as a nurse in the situation you describe. I don't know where you live, but that kind of money just is not to be had in my area. Heck, maybe the CRNAs are making that kind of money, but staff nurses...LOL!

That, and I am absolutely bored and sick of "picking up" after certain docs, if you know what I mean. If I am going to have to be that sharp-eyed, then I might as well practice on a different level.

Because it is the exception to make that kind of money as a nurse in the situation you describe. I don't know where you live...

Phoenix area

It's not uncommon to have 15+ years in and make close to 40/hour as a staff RN

MANY staff nurses (esp at Banner Health) are making 6 figs...

They are paying double time for ALL OT this calendar year...

10 + years w/ one extra shift per pay period puts you at 6 figs...

new grads are making 25/hour to start...Nites and some OT, can easily make 75K...

Hi all! I have been trying to read about nurse practitioner programs since someone mentioned it on another thread I posted.

I have a BS degree in Helicopter Aviation and taking some pre reqs now (for PA school)

Trying to determine options for NP school, and understand this right.

Can someone explain all of the possible options of obtaining a NP license? Mandatory steps. And do I end up with a NP as a “masters in NP or as a Doctorate?”
Which is better?

Direct entry (sounds like it has a lot of downfalls).
I want to work in very small rural clinics doing primary care.

So option 1) non nursing degree - to bsn? And then to msn? And then DSN?

Option 2) BSN to practicing RN and then MSN and then DNP?

Does anyone know about very rural towns, if I will get rejected or looked down upon by having DE NP?

Also, is there DE programs on campus or are they all online?

Would I be doing a disservice to myself and my patients by having the much more limited training of DE NP versus PA?

Thanks all! I know a lot of this is basic info but am just getting confused with the different acronyms, APRN? DNP? MNP? All the same? Different?

Would appreciate any info on this I can get! Thanks!

Hi all! I have been trying to read about nurse practitioner programs since someone mentioned it on another thread I posted.

I have a BS degree in Helicopter Aviation and taking some pre reqs now (for PA school)

Trying to determine options for NP school, and understand this right.

Can someone explain all of the possible options of obtaining a NP license? Mandatory steps. And do I end up with a NP as a “masters in NP or as a Doctorate?”
Which is better?

Direct entry (sounds like it has a lot of downfalls).
I want to work in very small rural clinics doing primary care.

So option 1) non nursing degree - to bsn? And then to msn? And then DSN?

Option 2) BSN to practicing RN and then MSN and then DNP?

Does anyone know about very rural towns, if I will get rejected or looked down upon by having DE NP?

Also, is there DE programs on campus or are they all online?

Would I be doing a disservice to myself and my patients by having the much more limited training of DE NP versus PA?

Thanks all! I know a lot of this is basic info but am just getting confused with the different acronyms, APRN? DNP? MNP? All the same? Different?

Would appreciate any info on this I can get! Thanks!
You should do PA IMO. Its made for people with a different degree and designed for people to come in without medical knowledge. The direct NP doesn't have any restrictions other than perhaps a less recognition of it in foreign countries, which really doesn't matter in this scenario. The only way I would suggest doing the NP instead is if you are looking to start your own practice, but as someone with no healthcare background, I think that's pretty much the worst case scenario for your patients and for yourself on the liability front. The increased clinical hours of PA at a mid-level level (i.e. not a nursing level) are especially important for someone without a background.

No body will look down on you for having a DE NP in a rural town, but there is concern that boarding may become an issue with online programs (Ca has already started restricting these for NP's). APRN MNP are basically the same thing, DNP have the same scope but actually have a doctorate of nursing (i.e. had to write a 1.5 years worth more of essays). I am not really a fan of these (particularly the online ones), and was a major reason for me choosing not to pursue one, even tho they are convenient and easy (with the notable exception of many schools not arranging clinicals for you, therefore forcing you to basically find people to shadow on your own, PA's don't have to do that).

I would also point out, that it is very difficult to participate in surgery as an NP, versus it being very common as a PA. That gives you a lot more job options coming out. And there are no online PA programs giving your profession a bad name.

There is so much misinformation about direct entry NP programs on this forum, it blows my mind. So I am a direct entry grad. No problem whatsoever practicing or with my career. Direct entry programs are not online. They are in person, highly competitive, and for the most part housed at top nursing schools (Hopkins, Yale, etc). Every single person who graduated from my program found a job immediately and is doing very well. I do not know why so many people think DE grads have a hard time? I mean... we were heavily recruited before graduating. Most of us also worked as RNs during our NP training.

With regard to pursuing NP vs PA - it depends... depends on where you live, what specialty you're interested in, if you ever want to go into admin or own a practice, if you want to teach, etc, etc. They're both great options.

If you want psych, I'd definitely go for becoming a PMHNP. I am currently training a PA for an inpatient psych position and it isn't pretty... his program didn't even have a psych rotation and it shows! That's a rant for another day, I suppose.

Last edited:
There is so much misinformation about direct entry NP programs on this forum, it blows my mind. So I am a direct entry grad. No problem whatsoever practicing or with my career. Direct entry programs are not online. They are in person, highly competitive, and for the most part housed at top nursing schools (Hopkins, Yale, etc). Every single person who graduated from my program found a job immediately and is doing very well. I do not know why so many people think DE grads have a hard time? I mean... we were heavily recruited before graduating. Most of us also worked as RNs during our NP training.

With regard to pursuing NP vs PA - it depends... depends on where you live, what specialty you're interested in, if you ever want to go into admin or own a practice, if you want to teach, etc, etc. They're both great options.

If you want psych, I'd definitely go for becoming a PMHNP. I am currently training a PA for an inpatient psych position and it isn't pretty... his program didn't even have a psych rotation and it shows! That's a rant for another day, I suppose.
Not sure why you are quoting my post, as I didn't comment on DE nursing job market being bad. I do think the market for mid-levels is getting tighter if you expect more than 75k especially. But Psych is its own animal and I am certain your class was recruited straight out of school especially if you graduated a while ago. Everywhere is short on psych.

The only thing jobwise I said was that PA's, since they commonly practice in surgery, have a huge advantage in that market. Nor did I claim that DE programs are all online (although many ARE online classes for the NP part after the initial bachelors on campus, which is a problem seeing as NP's do very different jobs than BSN's).

The proliferation of online graduate nursing schools IS bringing down the reputation of NP's as a whole, I don't know how anyone could argue against that. Or that states like Californias BON are restricting online NP graduates now, also true. The foreign labor market does not view 'accelerated' degrees as equivalent. There is nothing in my post that is misinformation at all.

LOL.... attempt to obtain practice rights as a DO in a foreign labor market... or better yet as a PA! Even MDs trainee in the states have hurdles.

Look, it’s tough overall to go and touch patients in other countries, but if someone has that idea in their head, then probably the easiest way to do it is as a nurse. So that’s the silliest argument I’ve heard thus far on here regarding the merits of not going the NP route.

California hasn’t changed any laws so far restricting NP practice scope. It’s not the best place to begin with, but betting against the California nurses association isn’t a good idea, because they are probably the most powerful health care union, and likely one of the more powerful unions on the whole in the US, despite being basically crazy in the head sometimes.

As for NPs in surgery... let PAs have it. They can carry the pager and do the post op rounds. An insightful set of insights from a surgeon that I know: had a relative go to Np school instead of any other option available. Also predicted PAs would be working for $60k within a few years. Another prominent surgeon near me also sent a close relative to NP school instead of medical or PA. So it depends on who you ask.

Now, I do see pressure on the labor force on the horizon because most every motivated RN I know is in NP school. PA programs are popping up all over as well, and they typical PA graduate has little or no health care experience. Lots of NPs are also looking at pscyche programs because they are burned out and the market seems to a lot of folks to be less lucrative. On the flip side, I thing there are some demographic changes, as well as structural changes on the horizon that could work well in NPs favor (maybe PAs too, but lack of independence is killing them). Im a firm believer that hard work and intelligence causes one to be successful, and I think the good Nps and PAs will always find good work. Landscape is changing, but the landscape is always in flux.

Okay!
So getting more detailed ...

1) I have to have a Bachelor of Science in nursing and work as a nurse for a set duration before I can apply to nurse practitioner school?

2) for direct entry, I just apply to a DE program and can immediately start taking classs online or in person?
a) it looks like there are very limited schools in the north west (Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon) where I could live.
b) sounds the downfall to this is limited patient care hours and no set fellowships for students?

3) trying to keep up with the acronyms here but is a regular nurse practitioner a masters degree?
a) do you apply with a bachelors of nursing and RN experience?
b) for Pharmacy, it’s adventsgeous to have a Doctorate. Is it beneficial to have a doctorate for NP?
i) if so, do you get a masters in nursing first, and then apply to doctor of NP?
ii) Or do you start with a BSN, and go to regular nurse practitioner school (which sounds like it’s a masters) and then do an additional (year for example) to get a doctorate?

**noting...
4) I already have 16000 plus hours of paid direct patient care experience.
5) I want to work in a small town in Montana, Idaho or Alaska (less than 5,000 population)
6) I want to be the primary care practitioner. I am not interested in surgery *at this time* since I want to live in such a small town.
7) moving up and advancing is something I definitely want to do after my son graduates. I considered being a PA until he graduates and then go back to medical school.(although it is heavily stated in this forum that’s a bad idea) Or advanced training as a PA possibly.

8) is there an advanced PA poition? Do they have a higher scope of practice than a “regular” PA?

Can you expound on this? This is interesting to me as I feel like I would be more interested in practice and over all Medicine versus the theory. Can you explain in the detail the difference between the two?

Thanks!

Okay!
So getting more detailed ...

1) I have to have a Bachelor of Science in nursing and work as a nurse for a set duration before I can apply to nurse practitioner school?

2) for direct entry, I just apply to a DE program and can immediately start taking classs online or in person?
a) it looks like there are very limited schools in the north west (Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon) where I could live.
b) sounds the downfall to this is limited patient care hours and no set fellowships for students?

3) trying to keep up with the acronyms here but is a regular nurse practitioner a masters degree?
a) do you apply with a bachelors of nursing and RN experience?
b) for Pharmacy, it’s adventsgeous to have a Doctorate. Is it beneficial to have a doctorate for NP?
i) if so, do you get a masters in nursing first, and then apply to doctor of NP?
ii) Or do you start with a BSN, and go to regular nurse practitioner school (which sounds like it’s a masters) and then do an additional (year for example) to get a doctorate?

**noting...
4) I already have 16000 plus hours of paid direct patient care experience.
5) I want to work in a small town in Montana, Idaho or Alaska (less than 5,000 population)
6) I want to be the primary care practitioner. I am not interested in surgery *at this time* since I want to live in such a small town.
7) moving up and advancing is something I definitely want to do after my son graduates. I considered being a PA until he graduates and then go back to medical school.(although it is heavily stated in this forum that’s a bad idea) Or advanced training as a PA possibly.

8) is there an advanced PA poition? Do they have a higher scope of practice than a “regular” PA?

Oh, *annoyedbyfreud* looks like you answered question 3b - that you always enter NP school as a BSN and then continue past your masters for an additional year and a half to receive a doctorate? And that it doesn’t change scope of practice or hire-ability at all. Why then would one do that I wonder? If they were going to teach?

Thanks for the explanation!

NP’s expecting to make more than 75,000 makes it harder to find a job? You can make 75,000 a year as a RN, easily. I will not take less than 100,000 a year. No NP should.

DNP’s are more marketable, especially if your DNP project turns out to be a big deal. Most of the people with the strongest opinions about the DNP actually have the least knowledge about the degree itself. I graduate in May with my DNP. Many in my cohort already have jobs pre boards. Everyone I’ve talked to is starting at around 100,000 a year. One cat got 115,000.