How to Choose the School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BusyStudent39

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I'm new here, but I'm a pre-med student right now at University of California, San Diego. I'm in my 3rd year, and about to take my MCAT this summer, but will be applying after a gap year.

I just had general questions about looking into different med schools and DO vs MD in general. Do you have any tips or advice on what to look for in schools and how to distinguish one school from the next? I'm pretty clueless as to where to start looking for schools because I don't want to just base it off of their rankings.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

So I'm new here, but I'm a pre-med student right now at University of California, San Diego. I'm in my 3rd year, and about to take my MCAT this summer, but will be applying after a gap year.

I just had general questions about looking into different med schools and DO vs MD in general. Do you have any tips or advice on what to look for in schools and how to distinguish one school from the next? I'm pretty clueless as to where to start looking for schools because I don't want to just base it off of their rankings.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

If you are ordinary and I think that's what you're saying. There are two answers to your question. First, there are schools you'd like to attend. Then, there are schools that will accept you. The key is scoring high enough on the MCAT so the first list is longer. Good luck.

Apply broadly. There are no guarantees in the application process. The wider net you cast, the higher the chances of interviews and an acceptance. Don't limit yourself too much geographically unless you're an outstanding candidate. And remember not even those with stellar stats get multiple interviews or acceptances.