How to chose a dental program to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go Getter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a nontraditional applicant who has a BS degree in architecture with GPA of 3.78. I am currently taking my pre-dental prerequisites (3.67) and will be applying to dental school for 2016 (next summer). I have two questions that I would appreciate if you folks could respond to:

1- Could somebody please give me an advice on how to wisely chose a dental program? Besides schools in California where I reside I don’t really have a preference.

2- How many schools should I really apply to in order to increase my chance of getting an interview? I am planning to apply to 20 different schools. Is this a good amount?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying to 20 schools will cost about $3000, and that's before going to interviews. Expect to spend another $400-600 per interview for flight, hotel, transportation, food, etc.
Spend $10 for the ADEA guide and look up the guide that DocToothache made

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I am a nontraditional applicant who has a BS degree in architecture with GPA of 3.78. I am currently taking my pre-dental prerequisites and will be applying to dental school for 2016 (next summer). I have two questions that I would appreciate if you folks could respond to:

1- Could somebody please give me an advice on how to wisely chose a dental program? Besides schools in California where I reside I don’t really have a preference.

2- How many schools should I really apply to in order to increase my chance of getting an interview? I am planning to apply to 20 different schools. Is this a good amount?

Thanks a lot

First

OP,

To " wisely " choose a school for your self, you must know what you want for yourself first.

You can type all the questions you want to us SDNers, and you will get back a lot of similar responses of which dental programs to choose.

If you are a shy person will you want to go to a big city school, or a little suburbia school?

Do you want a lot of classmates or a few?

Hot weather or seasonal hot/cold weather?

Private or public?

We don't know these things.

We can't help you choose he best dental program for you.

But, to get your answer, take your DAT exam, apply to 20 dental schools visit those schools you were invited to, and ask yourself "do I want to be here everyday"

while you are walking up the block to the school entrance.(look across the street)

While you are talking to the interviewers.

While on your commute there.

Your GPA is good. Keep it up.

And if you want an absolute acceptance apply to all 50 some schools

And if you want an absolute acceptance apply to all 50 some schools

That doesn't guarantee you anything. A member on here applied to 51 schools a couple years back and received 11 pre-Dec interviews. He never received an acceptance until late spring. It may increase your odds, but nothing is guaranteed

That doesn't guarantee you anything. A member on here applied to 51 schools a couple years back and received 11 pre-Dec interviews. He never received an acceptance until late spring. It may increase your odds, but nothing is guaranteed

An acceptance is an acceptance.

That is not the topic of OPs thread.

An acceptance is an acceptance.

That is not the topic of OPs thread.

My point was that applying to 20, 30, or over 50 schools like you sarcastically suggested does not guarantee anything. You said that applying to more = absolute acceptance, when in fact it doesn't. There are several cases where people have had to reapply even after applying to 20+ schools.

My point was that applying to 20, 30, or over 50 schools like you sarcastically suggested does not guarantee anything. You said that applying to more = absolute acceptance, when in fact it doesn't. There are several cases where people have had to reapply even after applying to 20+ schools.

With OPs GPA, 3.7+, and assuming his DAT score would reflect his GPA score equating to 20-25 overall DAT AVERAGE RANGE.

He would more than like be accepted to a dental school.

But, the point is that OP does not know what exactly he is looking for in dental program.

By applying to all schools, he would receive interviews, if he goes to interview, he can see and feel if he likes the school.

Then he will know which program is good for him.

Reactions: 1 user

Your point was pointless also,

your example is an exact reason why, for a person, with borderline stats, is to APPLY to all DS

But I think together we brought a good point across to OP

Take the DAT first. Then buy the Official Guide to Dental Schools by the ADEA and compare your stats to those that got enrolled to the schools. 20 schools is a good amount but remember that app fees are high plus the supplemental fees.
Thank you for your response! I have actually bought the book and have it but still don't know how to choose 20 schools. I am assuming I will maintain my GPA and will get a decent DAT score. How did you chose your programs? In other words, did you mainly choose your program based on the GPA/ DAT score or you considered other facts. Thanks

Applying to 20 schools will cost about $3000, and that's before going to interviews. Expect to spend another $400-600 per interview for flight, hotel, transportation, food, etc.
Spend $10 for the ADEA guide and look up the guide that DocToothache made
Thank you. Is DocToothache another guide and different from the ADEA one?

With OPs GPA, 3.7+, and assuming his DAT score would reflect his GPA score equating to 20-25 overall DAT AVERAGE RANGE.

His 3.7+ reflects an architecture degree. There's probably not a lot of crossover for the DAT.

OP: DocToothache's guide is different than the ADEA guide. Time to brush off that google searchbar.

As far as selecting schools, there's a few schools of thought :naughty::

1. Go to the cheapest school you get into. There's a great thread supporting this viewpoint, which you'll come across if you look for it.

2. Go to the most prestigious school you can get into. Usually these posts have a lot of "lol"s in them, and comments such as "you only go to DS once, so might as well do it big! LOL". You get the picture. Personally, I would only recommend this strategy as a method to improve specialization chances, but even then you'll have to do your homework to see if it's financially worth it, or if there's even a statistically significant increase in spec. chances.

3. You go to where you're comfortable. Just keep in mind how much more you're paying for DS to be where you're comfortable.

My advice? Make a list of the cheaper schools you would be comfortable attending. Have an open mind. Just because you've never been to Ohio, and the only guy you knew from the midwest was a weirdo, does not mean OSU should be crossed off the list. Once you have that, take a look at the OOS acceptance rates, and start crossing off the lower % schools, and the schools with stats that are too high. When you compile your final list, you should have a couple "safer" schools and a few "reaches".

Last edited:
His 3.7+ reflects an architecture degree. There's probably not a lot of crossover for the DAT.

He is applying next year,

I assumed most pre- reqs are taken.

So GPA still reflects a good standing individual.

And therefore will continue to reflect towards DAT score, since individual is has maintained a higher than average GPA, higher than average GPA usually is achieved by studious individuals.

OP: DocToothache's guide is different than the ADEA guide. Time to brush off that google searchbar.

As far as selecting schools, there's a few schools of thought :naughty::

1. Go to the cheapest school you get into. There's a great thread supporting this viewpoint, which you'll come across if you look for it.

2. Go to the most prestigious school you can get into. Usually these posts have a lot of "lol"s in them, and comments such as "you only go to DS once, so might as well do it big! LOL". You get the picture. Personally, I would only recommend this strategy as a method to improve specialization chances, but even then you'll have to do your homework to see if it's financially worth it, or if there's even a statistically significant increase in spec. chances.

3. You go to where you're comfortable. Just keep in mind how much more you're paying for DS to be where you're comfortable.

My advice? Make a list of the cheaper schools you would be comfortable attending. Have an open mind. Just because you've never been to Ohio, and the only guy you knew from the midwest was a weirdo, does not mean OSU should be crossed off the list. Once you have that, take a look at the OOS acceptance rates, and start crossing off the lower % schools, and the schools with stats that are too high. When you compile your final list, you should have a couple "safer" schools and a few "reaches".
Thanks a bunch

The GPA he quoted is not based on science courses. He said he's taking them now and over the next year. *facepalm*

Edit: Yeah, that's my mistake :(

Last edited: