How to classify unpaid work in an echolab in the work/activities section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bs599

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked in multiple echolabs over the past few years where I started out shadowing the techs, and they'd be teaching me how to perform an echo. After some time, I started doing them on patients as well. Whenever I would do it, I was always supervised but much of my time in the lab consisted of me actually performing the echos independently, so I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to put it under shadowing? The people that worked there always labeled it as an internship for me, because I was planning on taking the certifying exam. Do you think I should put it as clinical volunteering?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also, since I worked in multiple hospitals should I put down "repeated activity" and then just list the first hospital down down for "org./contact info" and then in the description area list the info for the second hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

Is one of your parents a cardiologist by any chance?

List this as shadowing. Do not list it as volunteering! It seems way over the top and I am rather shocked in US patients or their insurance companies are being billed for services of this kind being provided by a "volunteer".

Is one of your parents a cardiologist by any chance?

List this as shadowing. Do not list it as volunteering! It seems way over the top and I am rather shocked in US patients or their insurance companies are being billed for services of this kind being provided by a "volunteer".

My parents don't work in healthcare.
But okay will do, I put it under shadowing!
And of course we always asked the patients if they minded if I took some of their images; a certified echotech was always present.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I seem to recall that your mother is a DO and your father is an MD... sorry to have assumed that one of them might be a cardiologist.

It sounds like you were inflating your experience of "performing echos independently". Avoid pumping up an experience to sound like it is more than it was; it can raise red flags.

Reactions: 1 user