How to classify unpaid work in an echolab in the work/activities section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bs599

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked in multiple echolabs over the past few years where I started out shadowing the techs, and they'd be teaching me how to perform an echo. After some time, I started doing them on patients as well. Whenever I would do it, I was always supervised but much of my time in the lab consisted of me actually performing the echos independently, so I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to put it under shadowing? The people that worked there always labeled it as an internship for me, because I was planning on taking the certifying exam. Do you think I should put it as clinical volunteering?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also, since I worked in multiple hospitals should I put down "repeated activity" and then just list the first hospital down down for "org./contact info" and then in the description area list the info for the second hospital?
 
Is one of your parents a cardiologist by any chance?

List this as shadowing. Do not list it as volunteering! It seems way over the top and I am rather shocked in US patients or their insurance companies are being billed for services of this kind being provided by a "volunteer".
 
Is one of your parents a cardiologist by any chance?

List this as shadowing. Do not list it as volunteering! It seems way over the top and I am rather shocked in US patients or their insurance companies are being billed for services of this kind being provided by a "volunteer".

My parents don't work in healthcare.
But okay will do, I put it under shadowing!
And of course we always asked the patients if they minded if I took some of their images; a certified echotech was always present.
Thanks for the help.
 
Last edited:
I seem to recall that your mother is a DO and your father is an MD... sorry to have assumed that one of them might be a cardiologist.

It sounds like you were inflating your experience of "performing echos independently". Avoid pumping up an experience to sound like it is more than it was; it can raise red flags.