How to cram for a final in one week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordSurgeonSnow

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

So long story short I slacked off for a whole month and a half and now and have managed to pile up about 70 lectures...

How do I cram 70 lectures in a few days? Do I just isolate myself from the world and just study day and night?

Help, please and thank you, I really need it.

-LSS

Sent from my SM-N950F using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Good evening,

So long story short I slacked off for a whole month and a half and now and have managed to pile up about 70 lectures...

How do I cram 70 lectures in a few days? Do I just isolate myself from the world and just study day and night?

-LSS

You don't.

You should reconsider your options and work ethic.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol not sure what you were expecting to get out of this thread. You either sit down and cram or you don’t. It’s up to you.

Reactions: 7 users
go ask the sketchiest looking dude in your class for adderall

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
pull up the zanki deck that corresponds to the material. Put your intervals to 2 hours. keep doing cards until your brain is numb. repeat x6.

Last edited:
70/5 = 14
70/4 = 17.5
70/3 = 23.33

Hi, never tried this but hey, you wanted solutions. If you aren't joking anyway. Make a pot of coffee in the morning. Make a pot of coffee in the evening. You may also consider nicotine or caffeine gum. Try not to give yourself an arrhythmia or diarrhea or whatever. You probably don't have time to shower the last couple days. You'll probably want to order food twice a day. Sleep 3 hours each day. If you have 5 days, study all the lectures but you won't have time to review - if you run short, look at the First Aid topics for what you ran short on. If you have 4 days, pick 4 each day that look lower yield and skip them but read the First Aid topics for them if you have time. If you have 3 days, pick about 25 to skip total. See if you can get through the rest. Pray to whatever you believe in. Consider getting professional help after the test since it sounds like you slacked almost entirely for 6 weeks. There are weeks where I only get the bare minimum done but 6 weeks without doing much of anything is just...

Reactions: 2 users
Good evening,

-LSS

You have to accept the inevitable: you're f*****.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe if you fail you won’t repeat this mistake? So maybe it’s better if you just fail :/ better luck next time :nono:

Reactions: 1 user
What’s the topics?
I’m rooting for you lol

Members don't see this ad :)
please report back the grade(s) on the exam(s). as a fellow procrastinator, Im cheering you on haha

Simple. Don't watch the lectures. Study the material you need to know from whichever source fits you best. Do practice problems, and for areas that you struggle with, refer to the actual textbook. You have a whole week, you're fine.

What class are you in? You should be able to learn everything in FA/Pathoma/BRS in a week. At least we'll enough to pass and not do this again.

What class are you in? You should be able to learn everything in FA/Pathoma/BRS in a week. At least we'll enough to pass and not do this again.
The trouble with this advice is that while it's great for Step I, it may have zero correlation with what the OP's faculty are teaching and assessing.

Frankly, I think OP is a goner.

The trouble with this advice is that while it's great for Step I, it may have zero correlation with what the OP's faculty are teaching and assessing.

I have done this once or twice and I know many people who do this all the time and pass. It makes for a painful week, but it is not impossible. Cramming 400 pages in a week is totally doable in medical school and some of our courses forced us to do such a thing anyway. The only reason I avoid this is the pain that one week does bring, you are miserable for the entire duration, and feel like you are going insane after being locked in a room for week , only to go out to eat bad food and use the rest room.

I have done this once or twice and I know many people who do this all the time and pass. It makes for a painful week, but it is not impossible. Cramming 400 pages in a week is totally doable in medical school and some of our courses forced us to do such a thing anyway. The only reason I avoid this is the pain that one week does bring, you are miserable for the entire duration, and feel like you are going insane after being locked in a room for week , only to go out to eat bad food and use the rest room.
I’m not sure if you have ever watched South Park but your post brought memories of their world of Warcraft episode
96A65D07-711C-416E-A269-1274EC6B7E8F.gif

08140CBD-0E44-42F1-9EF8-6366E182D660.gif

Reactions: 3 users
this is how I felt after that week. I spent 3 days in my bed smashing the space bar, ended up with a 94 on the stupid exam but i vowed never to let that happen again.
Lol when I’ve heard the words bed and smash used together it was usually meant to indicate something totally different.

Reactions: 6 users

I find it hard to believe that a med schools ___ology curriculum could be SO different from the boards stuff that there isn't at least 70% overlap. Granted, I'm only talking about bare minimum are passing the class.

EDIT - Btw, you teach anatomy right? If OP is in anatomy, hes screwed. I was assuming he's in an organ system block.

Last edited:
  • Sad
I find it hard to believe that a med schools ___ology curriculum could be SO different from the boards stuff that there isn't at least 70% overlap. Granted, I'm only talking about bare minimum are passing the class.

EDIT - Btw, you teach anatomy right? If OP is in anatomy, hes screwed. I was assuming he's in an organ system block.
Based upon the complaints of SDNers, do not underestimate the ability of med school profs to test either on their own research, or minutiae!
My gut is that OP is in such a deep hole, that he/she won't be able to dig out. We'll see.

Dear God its beautiful to look back on these threads as a 4th year on 10 weeks of vacation. The promised land awaits you my friends. GL to OP.

Reactions: 10 users

Anatomy would be the ideal...no research or random BS to include, just memorize a long long list of somethings (which is totally doable in a week).

OP isn't trying to cram overnight...they have a whole WEEK. It's really not that bad.

A final scheduled for... Christmas day? Where is your medical school?

My friend does this every single block in 2-3 days. I've done this in a week. It's definitely possible for you, assuming you naturally learn at an average pace and can stay pin point focused. Get off SDN.

My friend does this every single block in 2-3 days. I've done this in a week. It's definitely possible for you, assuming you naturally learn at an average pace and can stay pin point focused. Get off SDN.

Your friend crams 70 (~50-60 minute) lectures in 2-3 days? lol. Your med schools block length isn't the same as the OPs then. Unless this class is intro to biochem or something that is mostly MCAT review.

easy, Isolate the easy lectures. Get them down first = easy points

Then start doing the harder lectures and skip the very heavy ones.

profit.

Your friend crams 70 (~50-60 minute) lectures in 2-3 days? lol. Your med schools block length isn't the same as the OPs then. Unless this class is intro to biochem or something that is mostly MCAT review.

This is basically every single block. We're currently close-ish to our dedicated study period. Why would the length matter if the amount of lectures covered is still the same? You forget that you don't actually need to watch every single lecture. You don't even need to learn every single lecture. You don't even need to know everything. You don't even need to know most of the material. You just need to know enough information to have some idea what is going on in order to get above that 70%. To get to that 70%, you can make it up with:

1) High yield material like board resources
2) Going through slides instead of watching the actual lecture
3) Focusing on things that the professor emphasizes instead of memorizing all the minutia (even though the test will have minutia)
4) Test-taking ability and eliminating choices you know are wrong
5) Accepting the fact that you'll miss questions on the test and being okay with that in order to keep your head calm

Now, is all this great for the actual Step 1 exam? Definitely not. But they're not aiming for anything hyper-competitive LOL.

Meh, some med schools don't emphasize lectures. I didn't go to or watch a single lecture in M2, and I got very high marks (we don't have class ranking or explicit grades, but if you took every single question I missed on every exam in M1/M2, and took all of those points off of a single exam, I'd still pass. Not by a lot, but still.) Just depends on the school and what they emphasize. Most of ours aren't recorded, and attendance isn't mandatory, so they really don't delve into prof-specific minutiae.

Good evening,

-LSS

I just want to know how you did ;___;

Status
Not open for further replies.