1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How to Create a Great Personal Statement + 2018-19 PTCAS Essay

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by PT_Student_123, Apr 8, 2018.

1. PT_Student_123

Pre-Physical Therapy
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JustBeingPatient

Thank you for sharing! I watched the webinar and it was extremely helpful. I liked that the last presenter offered up some ideas on how to brainstorm and start writing. I followed the process that she described- creating a web of words and then doing free writing. It was extremely helpful and I was able to suss out some experiences and traits that I wanted to focus on.

I would like to start my personal essay describing one event (a discussion I had with a stranger on a bus) that reshaped how I viewed my future career (I will obviously write about how my view changed). This paradigm shift started a chain of events, and using this new view I started "testing-out" different careers through internships, volunteering, and part-time work. In this essay, I would like to describe the important experiences and skills I gained during this time.

The prompt asks us to describe "a meaningful experience." I am wondering if discussing multiple experiences will not properly address this prompt. I plan to tie all of the experiences back to the specific "woman-on-the-bus" experience. Would approaching the topic in this fashion be smart, or should I try to find a singular experience (possibly my experience in Massage Therapy school) and focus on skills/knowledge/insights that I developed from this singular experience.

EastSide and Smile72696 like this.
  4. Smile72696

I am also wondering about taking the same approach. Not exactly sure how they define "experience" or if its left up to our interpretation. I.e. a singular moment or an all encompassing group of experiences that come from a common experience. Not sure!

5. ACPTWannabe

I'm like you. I had the idea to write about how a combination of experiences impacted my attitude towards dealing with adversity beginning with having to withdraw my admissions from my first-choice college and culiminating with two rounds of rejections from physical therapy schools. I included a line or two about how no one experience completely alters our perception instead our perceptions are formed by a combination of experiences. I don't know if it will be ok or not, but I have a draft done and am forwarding it to my pre-health advisor for review.

6. JustBeingPatient

I would love to hear what your adviser says about that approach. Would you be willing to give us an update?

Smile72696 likes this.
  7. ACPTWannabe

I'll share what she says. It may be a week or so. I know she's on vacation and I don't want to bother her.