How to decline an offer of acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HipHopDoc23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So throughout this entire process I never though I'd ever in a million years have to ask this but: What is the appropriate way to decline an admissions offer after I had already accepted it? I really, really want to do this the right way because I really liked this school and I feel bad.

I don't know if it is best to call, e-mail, or send a letter. I'm leaning towards calling just so i can make sure that they receive my withdrawal. I'm afraid if I e-mail, they won't respond and the school i really want to go to already said they will be very upset if we hold spots in 2 med schools for too long.

Any suggestions anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, if i were in your shoes, i would do all three just to be sure. you wouldn't want your other school to look down upon your matriculation just because of something this small..
1. send an email, make sure you use delivery confirmation
2. call, write down the name of the person you talked to & the time/date
3. send an official, letter, with all of your info, and get a TRACKING NUMBER/DELIVER CONFIRMATION for proof that they received it

this way, even if they're jerks and don't respond, you're throughly covered :thumbup:

thats kind of excessive..an e-mail should be just fine..calling might be a little awkward..imagine if med schools personally called all the people that they rejected lol :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
thats kind of excessive..an e-mail should be just fine..calling might be a little awkward..imagine if med schools personally called all the people that they rejected lol :laugh:

I kinda think he might have been sarcastic in that post haha.

Hello,

This e-mail is to inform whomever it may concern that;

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na, I got into a better school, na-na-na-na-na-na, I got into a better school.

Sincerely,

Your name here.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
An email works great. Address it to the admissions committee, be polite, tell them you liked their school (only if you really did), and say thanks.

I'd go with an email, too. It's personal enough to not be unprofessional but avoid any awkwardness that may result from turning the school down over the phone.

The admin office is busy enough, make it simple and to the point. "I would like to withdraw my application" or "I would like to decline the acceptance offer." And please include your full name and AMCAS ID#. Every school I've withdrawn from has sent me a reply email to confirm the message got through, and if not you can just call to double check.

Email and say, "I regret to inform you that I am unable to offer myself to your class of 2014. Unfortunately, I received many qualified offers from many outstanding schools, however, I can only accept 1."

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
i like the last post puts the shoe on the other foot

Jesus, man............. :smack:

"Hello, this email is to inform the admissions committee at _______ that I am declining my offer of acceptance to the class of 2014 due to an acceptance elsewhere.

Thank you,

book it. done.

I really appreciate all the suggestions. I will e-mail and then call if I don't receive a reply after a couple of days.Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
But we have until May 15 to decline, right?

Email and say, "I regret to inform you that I am unable to offer myself to your class of 2014. Unfortunately, I received many qualified offers from many outstanding schools, however, I can only accept 1."

:thumbup:

If only...

So throughout this entire process I never though I'd ever in a million years have to ask this but: What is the appropriate way to decline an admissions offer after I had already accepted it? I really, really want to do this the right way because I really liked this school and I feel bad.

I don't know if it is best to call, e-mail, or send a letter. I'm leaning towards calling just so i can make sure that they receive my withdrawal. I'm afraid if I e-mail, they won't respond and the school i really want to go to already said they will be very upset if we hold spots in 2 med schools for too long.

Any suggestions anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

i think the question posed by the OP is legitimate...of course he/she wants to be as professional as possible knowing that he/she will be entering professional school soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Jesus, man............. :smack:

"Hello, this email is to inform the admissions committee at _______ that I am declining my offer of acceptance to the class of 2014 due to an acceptance elsewhere.

Thank you,

book it. done.
Cut him some slack, man. If it's not something you can memorize, chances are pretty good that pre-meds are going to suck at it. :p

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:rofl:

I would totally do this.

Are you serious?

Why wouldn't I be serious? I have no friends who have ever had to do this and my parents told me to just ignore it and the other school would just go away. I didn't ask what to write, I asked how to transmit the message: phone, mail, or e-mail. I don't understand what is so upsetting to you about that. I am just not good at professional stuff. Are pre-meds not allowed a weakness? I came on here for advice but didn't think I would be judged for it. I apologize for offending you and i will try my best not to post anything you may deem offensive/ridiculous from now on.

You forgot the second part!

"This is, in no way, a judgment of your character or of you as a school. I am sure that you have admitted many fine applicants and will have a most outstanding class. I am sure you will succeed in your future endeavors, and good luck in the future!"

I really, really want to do this the right way because I really liked this school and I feel bad.

It is your AAMC-given right as an applicant to hold all your acceptances until May 15. No school is supposed to even ask you to withdraw from any other school until that date. Also, schools are not supposed to ask for deposits until May 15 (according to Admissions Director at U Mich). I understand your desire to be courteous, but med schools are not losing any sleep over keeping applicants hanging. Professional courtesy = withdrawing from all but 1 school on or before May 15. An email is the most expedient for most admissions offices.

I kinda think he might have been sarcastic in that post haha.

LOL yeah oops i just read the first line of his post where he said he would do all three...yeah he was clearly being sarcastic..my bad