How to determine clinical hours from EMS experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I determine how many hours to report as clinical/patient experience from my EMS work? I could look at how many hours I've worked total, but that isn't representative of how many hours I actually spent with a patient. I did work as the primary provider for every BLS call - I never drove. While we are a busy service, not every hour has been patient time.

I appreciate the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

How do I determine how many hours to report as clinical/patient experience from my EMS work? I could look at how many hours I've worked total, but that isn't representative of how many hours I actually spent with a patient. I did work as the primary provider for every BLS call - I never drove. While we are a busy service, not every hour has been patient time.

I appreciate the advice!

They don't tell hospital volunteers who stock shelves to subtract hours spent doing anything other than being with patients. I doubt you'd have to.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't overthink this. Do you think the patient pusher or sheet changer hospital volunteer is breaking down hours to accurately report only those periods spent in the presence of patients? I think not. If the work is clinical work, then report all the hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose you're both right, I am overthinking this. Thank you!

If it makes you feel better, I have almost 10 years experience as an OR tech. Most, but not all, of those hours are directly with patients. But there's also time spent prepping the room and instruments, picking cases, eating lunch, etc. I'm not subtracting that time.

If it makes you feel better, I have almost 10 years experience as an OR tech. Most, but not all, of those hours are directly with patients. But there's also time spent prepping the room and instruments, picking cases, eating lunch, etc. I'm not subtracting that time.
I agree, it just seems like a ton of hours relative to others. Relative to your 10 years, it seems reasonable!

Lookup how many patients you've seen in the charting software. Figure 45 mins contact/pt in urban and 1.5 hrs for rural.

I put down my # pt contacts along with total duty hours I believe.

Was kind of cool to be able to say empirically How many hrs pt care on AMCAS app. Was def a talking point

Lookup how many patients you've seen in the charting software. Figure 45 mins contact/pt in urban and 1.5 hrs for rural.

I put down my # pt contacts along with total duty hours I believe.

Was kind of cool to be able to say empirically How many hrs pt care on AMCAS app. Was def a talking point

That's cool data to be able to talk about in an interview, but it's totally unnecessary for the app. They do not expect you to do that. You are short changing yourself if you subtract hours just because you weren't actively seeing a patient. You will be one of the few people doing that, and it isn't an integrity issue or anything. Adcoms know some portion of your clinical time is spent doing things other than actively seeing patients. That's how healthcare works.

At this point, I will plan to list an estimate of the total hours I've worked. Then the reviewers of my application can make an assumption as to the amount of time I spent on scene/back of the truck. Thank you all for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
At this point, I will plan to list an estimate of the total hours I've worked. Then the reviewers of my application can make an assumption as to the amount of time I spent on scene/back of the truck. Thank you all for the advice!

HR might be able to give you an exact number. They were able to do that for me.