How to get clinical/shadowing opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how does one go about obtaining clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

xylem29 said:

I am going to try to mail/hand deliver letters throughout my area to various Dr. offices....not sure if it will work, but I am being hopeful! I searched online for the specialty I am interested in and my city and found a lot of names! G'luck! :p

xylem29 said:
1) get your premed advisor to hook you up with a list of people who like to have students shadow them
2) ask your family doc, any doc you know, any doc your mom knows, etc.
3) ask your friends who are in medical school to get their attendings to let you follow them around on rounds.
4) if you are making conversation with someone and it comes out that they or their partner is a doc, ask if you could observe them sometime.

This process is weird and uncomfortable, but unless you have family or a close friend in the biz, it is just artificial and tough.

I did 1, 2, and 3. 3 was the most fun.

Good luck finding good shadowing experiences... :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
xylem29 said:

If you have a hospital associated with your school try to get a volunteer position there. I volunteer in the ER at the hospital associated with my school and it turns out that a couple of the ER docs (and I'm sure many others at the hospital) are adjunct/professors in the med school where I do my undergrad. So you could get some good volunteer experience as well as having a chance to maybe shadow docs that you meet at the hospital - and maybe it will work to your advantage in getting some good LORs because of the overlap in experiences.

Yeah I have the same question. I also volenteer at the local hospital, but it is not a teaching hospital. Although I'm in the ER, I'm in the lobby and I just could't imagine asking a doc if I could shadow him. Half of the time I don't know who the docs are cause everyone wears scrubs. Any advice on how to go about this would be great b/c I'm not even sure the ER docs know I exist. One more question, how the hell do you get on a psych floor. That is what I plan to major in, but I can't seem to find the resources to shadow a psychiatrist. Our psych floor is OFF LIMITS to anyone other than family and you can't volenteer up there. What the heck do I do? :confused:

pschmom1 said:
Yeah I have the same question. I also volenteer at the local hospital, but it is not a teaching hospital. Although I'm in the ER, I'm in the lobby and I just could't imagine asking a doc if I could shadow him. Half of the time I don't know who the docs are cause everyone wears scrubs. Any advice on how to go about this would be great b/c I'm not even sure the ER docs know I exist. One more question, how the hell do you get on a psych floor. That is what I plan to major in, but I can't seem to find the resources to shadow a psychiatrist. Our psych floor is OFF LIMITS to anyone other than family and you can't volenteer up there. What the heck do I do? :confused:

Yeah, that's the same problem I have - I've vol in hospitals b4 but never in a clincial setting - for those i think i need hook ups and that i don't have. I guess i could try asking my family docs (yes i have 2) but i'm not sure if its common for ppl to shadow their family docs. you see - if we had premed commitees it would make the process so much easier! oh canada!

Started volunteering in a teaching hospital. Got tired of answering the phone and running labs, so I just approached a surgery resident, asking her if I could shadow her.

If you're in college, try the local pre-med society (usually AMSA). They may have more info or connections to physician shadowing.

As for me, I got lucky because of connections. It's actually a lot of fun shadowing if the hospital is busy.

pschmom1 said:
I also volenteer at the local hospital
You should talk to some doctors, find out who they are. I'm sure at least most would not mind if you shadowed them, but you have to express the interest. Also try the HR office. They may be able to direct you. You are working in the hospital, so you already have a foot in the door.

xylem29 said:
Yeah, that's the same problem I have - I've vol in hospitals b4 but never in a clincial setting - for those i think i need hook ups and that i don't have. I guess i could try asking my family docs (yes i have 2) but i'm not sure if its common for ppl to shadow their family docs. you see - if we had premed commitees it would make the process so much easier! oh canada!

Yes it would, I dont have one at my university either...in Florida (we just have an advisor, who might i add, sucks at her job!) At least you have a family doc you could ask....I dont even have a doc, havent been to one in like 3 years!!!

My mom goes to a PA, would it be helpful for me to shadow the PA? If nothing more it could show me another side of medicine.....and another possible career path.

daisy958 said:
My mom goes to a PA, would it be helpful for me to shadow the PA? If nothing more it could show me another side of medicine.....and another possible career path.
Do you have any previous health care experience? Did you ever consider shadowing an ER doc?

TX515 said:
Do you have any previous health care experience? Did you ever consider shadowing an ER doc?

I dont have much experience.....volunteered at two hospitals for the last 6 months (Lab runner, discharge, MRI and cafeteria<---this was actually a REALLY good experience, saw EVERY patient in the *small* children's hospital and made 'friendships' with a few of the kids!)

I emailed a hospital that I had placed an application at this summer (was brushed off by them for a while)....got a reply telling me that they are only accepting 3rd/4th years and in the ER! So, I am definately going to look into that! I am applying (to schools) this summer, so I better find something soon...especially since I am starting to consider alternate careers and need to find out for myself if I really want medicine or not.... :confused:

If you are considering other options then shadowing a PA might be a good thing. If you want to shadow a doctor, then you should ask them personally. If they tell you it is ok, HR won't go above them.

TX515 said:
If you are considering other options then shadowing a PA might be a good thing. If you want to shadow a doctor, then you should ask them personally. If they tell you it is ok, HR won't go above them.

Wow! That is nice to know about HR....I have completed HIPPA training twice in the last 6 months, so I dont think that would be a problem.

I am planning to look for pediatricians to shadow first (that, or family medicine, is the area I am more interested in)...I am thinking that I might get a generally more positive response in smaller offices than in big hospital type settings. Taking what I can get though!