Nov 2, 2019
Status
Dental Student
I'm a second year dental student. I recently realized I would prefer to be in a hospital setting after graduating, and I was wondering what types of opportunities there are/what specialties would be best to look into to achieve this. I have interest in Ortho, OS, Peds, and general. My previous research has been within the Craniofacial Department at the Children's hospital in my city and I think that's what I would be most interested in.
I know general has the option of a GPR, but this is only for one year (not long term). For Ortho, I have heard a Craniofacial fellowship could be a good option. I realize OS is likely the best option but I am unsure about committing to taking the NBDE as well as another six years after dental school.
Is there a particular specialty that would be best? Any tips are helpful! Thanks so much

Reactions: extractions

Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2007
Status
Dentist
No matter which path you end up taking, a year in a major hospital GPR would look very good on your resume. A GPR is also good "boot camp training" for the administrative skills one needs working in hospitals.

Reactions: knewstance

Typical Average Student

5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2014
Houston, TX
Status
Dental Student
Houston has a Craniofacial Prosthodontics fellowship program with the MD Anderson Cancer Hospital. This is generally for people who want to do Prosth as a speciality. They see patients in the hospital and make full facial prosthodontics for cancer patients I believe. You can read more about it here: Oral Oncology & Maxillofacial Prosthetics

schmoob

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2015
Houston has a Craniofacial Prosthodontics fellowship program with the MD Anderson Cancer Hospital. This is generally for people who want to do Prosth as a speciality. They see patients in the hospital and make full facial prosthodontics for cancer patients I believe. You can read more about it here: Oral Oncology & Maxillofacial Prosthetics
I believe Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC has one as well.