How to get into hospital dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soapco

Reaction score
I'm a second year dental student. I recently realized I would prefer to be in a hospital setting after graduating, and I was wondering what types of opportunities there are/what specialties would be best to look into to achieve this. I have interest in Ortho, OS, Peds, and general. My previous research has been within the Craniofacial Department at the Children's hospital in my city and I think that's what I would be most interested in.
I know general has the option of a GPR, but this is only for one year (not long term). For Ortho, I have heard a Craniofacial fellowship could be a good option. I realize OS is likely the best option but I am unsure about committing to taking the NBDE as well as another six years after dental school.
Is there a particular specialty that would be best? Any tips are helpful! Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No matter which path you end up taking, a year in a major hospital GPR would look very good on your resume. A GPR is also good "boot camp training" for the administrative skills one needs working in hospitals.

Reactions: 1 users
Houston has a Craniofacial Prosthodontics fellowship program with the MD Anderson Cancer Hospital. This is generally for people who want to do Prosth as a speciality. They see patients in the hospital and make full facial prosthodontics for cancer patients I believe. You can read more about it here: Oral Oncology & Maxillofacial Prosthetics

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospitals are a tough environment. Pay can be below average.
I worked in and out of the hospital system for many years. That environment can take you into dark places and desensitize you. Was rewarding, but I’ll stay away in future. I can’t speak on hospital dentistry because I’m sure it’s different than working on the floor. Best of luck OP!

Reactions: 1 user
Can general dentists get OR privileges to treat children? Or is that strictly for pedo? I have seen GPRs that give that experience to their residents.

Can general dentists get OR privileges to treat children? Or is that strictly for pedo? I have seen GPRs that give that experience to their residents.

Yes, but it is not easy. The process for OR privileges is designed for physicians and has very difficult requirements for most of us dentists to meet. It also involves pages and pages of documentation. The process takes months at my hospital.
Frankly, it is simply not worth it for most general dentists.

Houston has a Craniofacial Prosthodontics fellowship program with the MD Anderson Cancer Hospital. This is generally for people who want to do Prosth as a speciality. They see patients in the hospital and make full facial prosthodontics for cancer patients I believe. You can read more about it here: Oral Oncology & Maxillofacial Prosthetics

Maxfax prosthetics fellowship is only for board eligible/certified prosthodontists, not people who want to do prosth.

Reactions: 1 users
GPR is hospital based. Then you can be a hospital dentist. I volunteered at a hospital dental clinic that had a GPR program. They obviously need attending dentists to supervise the residents' work.

I am a hospital dentist and I love it. At times can be very hard and exhausting. The pay is above average with a lot of benefits but many on call days and the patient population is not easy.

I am a hospital dentist and I love it. At times can be very hard and exhausting. The pay is above average with a lot of benefits but many on call days and the patient population is not easy.
How did you end up there? Are you an attending for a GPR?