How to get shadowing experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jv00927

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers! I'd like to get some shadowing experience so I get a better sense if medicine is really the right path for me. I'm interested in shadowing a pain managment doc or an allergist. Do I just call the office of the physician who am I'm interested in shadowing? Or would it be better if I send a letter asking if I could shadow them? How many "shadowing" hours should I attempt if I do get a physician to agree to my request? I tried doing a search for this topic but I couldn't find any helpful threads so I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive shadowed several doctors (one of our team physicians and my own doctor and his collegues) I either asked them when i saw them or dropped them an email. Calling may be a problem since your going to have to leave a message and god knows if the Doc will ever get it. you can just go by the office towards the end of the day and ask, thats what id do if i didnt have normal contact with the doctor. Just say your interested in going to med school and i ask if you could come observe for a day. Most will have no problem and some enjoy the company for the day. I always like to bring some pastry (canoli, cookies etc) or someother food. Its a good experience, youll be able to see what goes on in the day to day operation of the office and probally get an LOR. Also, you never know who the doctor knows who maybe able to help you out at some point along the way.

jv00927 said:
Hi SDNers! I'd like to get some shadowing experience so I get a better sense if medicine is really the right path for me. I'm interested in shadowing a pain managment doc or an allergist. Do I just call the office of the physician who am I'm interested in shadowing? Or would it be better if I send a letter asking if I could shadow them? How many "shadowing" hours should I attempt if I do get a physician to agree to my request? I tried doing a search for this topic but I couldn't find any helpful threads so I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

jv00927 said:
try to use connections somehow. cold calling/writing is much less efficient. its not what you know its who you know