How to improve CR section for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aoi05

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first full length exam, and I got a 413 (74th percentile). I'm hoping this will increase as I continue studying, as my exam is in the second week of September. My CR score is bringing my composite score down. For the CR section, I got a 406 (62nd percentile). According to my performance summary, my weakest section is reasoning (inference and application type questions). How do you suggest improving my score?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of practice exams will help. You just have to get used to the way they ask questions. For example. they might have questions where two or three of the answers could be right but they're checking to make sure you're able to back up your answer from the text.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently using the MCAT 101 passages in MCAT verbal reasoning for practice for CR. Is this a good source to use?

Hi @aoi05! I think you're off to a good start by doing practice exams. In my opinion, one of the best strategies to improve on the critical reading section (or any section in general) is to work on practice exams. Specifically for the critical reading section, I would pay close attention on summarizing each individual paragraph with 2-6 words. This helps you form a concise summary either written down on your whiteboard or in your head so that you know where to reference if necessary. In addition, I like to pay close attention to transition words since this helps me identify the author's tone which is important when working with all types of questions including main idea, inference, or application type questions. Finally, if the passage presents a series of interlinked thoughts, processes, or events, it may be a good idea to jot it down in boxed or picture forms on your whiteboard. This can also help with organizing the information you are reading.

I hope this helps and good luck!