How to label volunteering & leadership role in work/activities section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bs599

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the work activities section, I'm struggling sorting out a bit of overlap in my activities.
For example, in a lot of clubs and organizations I have leadership in, I've also been the one to coordinate and attend a ton of volunteering and service activities. SO how do i separate the two- or should I?

Ex: I'm the president of our neuroscience org this year, but through for the past 3 years through that group, I've also done at least 60+ hours of volunteering at multiple elementary schools and science day events to teach kids about neuro. Should I just put it under leadership or both leadership and volunteering (or would it be "teaching"?"

Ex2: For one of our honorary societies, i'm the event and service coordinator....so again do i separate the volunteering I've done through the organization from my actual leadership position in it?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

For the work activities section, I'm struggling sorting out a bit of overlap in my activities.
For example, in a lot of clubs and organizations I have leadership in, I've also been the one to coordinate and attend a ton of volunteering and service activities. SO how do i separate the two- or should I?

Ex 1) : I'm the president of our neuroscience org this year, but through for the past 3 years through that group, I've also done at least 60+ hours of volunteering at multiple elementary schools and science day events to teach kids about neuro. Should I just put it under leadership or both leadership and volunteering (or would it be "teaching"?"

Ex 2): For one of our honorary societies, i'm the event and service coordinator....so again do i separate the volunteering I've done through the organization from my actual leadership position in it?
When an activity has clear-cut subcomponents, you have the choice to keep them all together and pick a tag and name that applies to all of them, or to split out the subcomponents and list each on its own, with a suitable tag. You'd do the latter only if each can stand on its own with sufficient hours and description.

1) Do you mean to say that you are the president-elect for your fourth year of college which starts in the fall? Or that you took office at the end of your third year? If so, I'd pick either Volunteering (if you don't have a stronger community service entry already), or Teaching (if you do). In the description and/or name, you might then mention that you are the new president or president-elect, but if the leadership has zero or brief duration so far, I would not use a Leadership tag.

2) Separate them if you have enough to say about each role and would like more characters to expand on them (and especially if you had a substantial leadership role that you want to highlight). Otherwise, I'd choose the Extracurricular tag and name the activity something like, XYZ Honor Society General Member & Event and Service Coordinator.

Note: These are just options and there is no "one right way" to enter activities, so feel free to consider other alternatives that may come to mind.

I listed a very similar activity as one activity, except in description separated by "General member:", "Coordinator:", "Role#3" etc

Members don't see this ad :)
When an activity has clear-cut subcomponents, you have the choice to keep them all together and pick a tag and name that applies to all of them, or to split out the subcomponents and list each on its own, with a suitable tag. You'd do the latter only if each can stand on its own with sufficient hours and description.

1) Do you mean to say that you are the president-elect for your fourth year of college which starts in the fall? Or that you took office at the end of your third year? If so, I'd pick either Volunteering (if you don't have a stronger community service entry already), or Teaching (if you do). In the description and/or name, you might then mention that you are the new president or president-elect, but if the leadership has zero or brief duration so far, I would not use a Leadership tag.

2) Separate them if you have enough to say about each role and would like more characters to expand on them (and especially if you had a substantial leadership role that you want to highlight). Otherwise, I'd choose the Extracurricular tag and name the activity something like, XYZ Honor Society General Member & Event and Service Coordinator.

Note: These are just options and there is no "one right way" to enter activities, so feel free to consider other alternatives that may come to mind.

Thanks for the advice! Yes i meant that I've been a member since my freshman year but this coming year will be serving as president. But yes in that case i'll put it under service!

If for one of my activities I label it underneath "Leadership", how would i write the hours down?
Would the hours be the total hours volunteering under that organization + hours spend in organization meetings and events?
It's always the hours section on AMCAS that frustrates me the most lol especially for sections like leadership or the publications section where it's hard to quantify hours.

If for one of my activities I label it underneath "Leadership", how would i write the hours down? Would the hours be the total hours volunteering under that organization + hours spend in organization meetings and events?
It's always the hours section on AMCAS that frustrates me the most lol especially for sections like leadership or the publications section where it's hard to quantify hours.
If you tag a space as Leadership, IMO you should only list the leadership hours in the Total Hours space. If the other hours invested in the organization weren't strong enough to deserve their own space, I'd suggest mentioning them as an addendum in the narrative, like, "Besides the hours listed above with this organization, I also volunteered for 22 hours as [role] and attended general membership meetings for three years."

For Publications, I suggest entering a zero for the hours, or the time spent standing in front of the poster during its prsentation, with any related research and poster prep time included in the affiliated Research space. Others, however, do split out the poster prep time and list it there.