How to make ROL????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proud 2 B A Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that everyone says that rank the program i want to go to first.. But how do I decide which programs I would want to go to???

At almost all of my interviews I really liked the people and felt the programs have a lot to offer..

Can anyone with experience please tell me what really matters after joining a residency program??:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You must have some opinion on the matter. The location you are going to be living in matters a lot for your own happiness and sanity, so don't discount that. If you hate NYC but the program you liked best is in Manhattan then it might not be the best choice for you. Most programs out there (depending on the specialty) will provide you adequate training, a lot of it depends on your attitude, your expectations, and your learning style. Even the perfect program will develop flaws as you go through training - they all present (or try to) their best face on interview day. But don't forget the fact that you will have to be living there for a few years.

i know that many factors potentially play a role in that decision....but, i don't know if my opinion is that of an underacheiver.....but my ROL is based almost soley on prospects for fellowships.....i probably feel that way because most of the programs i interviewed at were approximately equal in other factors.....my #1 is there because it will be the easiest to get a good fellowship with....anyways, GL guys

.....but my ROL is based almost soley on prospects for fellowships.....

Fellowships are very imp for me too.. one of the major factors.. but the place with the best opportunities of fellowships is the one of the programs i dont feel to good about.. i didnt get a good vibe on the day of the interview and it is in an area i dont like...

So i was wondering if it would be stupid just to rank a program at the top just because I liked the people alot and felt that I would like to live the area??? :confused:

So i was wondering if it would be stupid just to rank a program at the top just because I liked the people alot and felt that I would like to live the area??? :confused:
No, that would not be stupid at all. If those things are high on your personal priority list, then they should factor very strongly into how you make your list.

There is no single right or wrong way to make a ROL, there is only the right and wrong way for you. As long as you abide by your own sense of priorities in ranking programs, then you will have the best possible results on match day. If what you really want is a place that is close to your family and has fun, easy-going faculty, but you rank a distant program with boring, stodgy people and a fabulous fellowship match list higher, you could wind up being unhappy. Or vice versa. It's all about you, and what is truly important to you.

It might not help you now, but what I did was rank as I went. Every time I visited a program, I'd put it on my rank list. At that point, everything was still fresh, I had strong gut feelings, and it wasn't all that hard to decide, for example, whether to rank MGH above UVa. In some cases, I'd rethink things a few days later having gained more information (e.g., Emory moved up and down as I heard more about Grady). But at this point, my rank list is what it is.

Best,
Anka

Every time I visited a program, I'd put it on my rank list.

I used to do the same thing.. But in retrospect I think I based my list on my gut feeling. means, just how much i liked the people and area, whether I felt I would fit in or not...
Right now I feel I should consider other aspects too.. and that fact is confusing me... cause I am trying to figure what matters..

Yeah, I went through the same struggle (not knowing what matters... then the realization that what matters is hard to get information about on interview day). Some things I thought really mattered were whether the graduates know how to operate coming out, who was doing the case (and what did they mean when they said the resident was doing the case), how much autonomy was there on the floors, and so on. Unfortunately, you can get almost none of that info on interview day because people can and do lie through their teeth. Hence the movement on my rank list a few days later -- when there was a place I was now seriously considering, I'd start asking graduates of the program about it, my chairman and the PD of my home program. Inability to get that kind of information after a concerted search put people way, way down on my rank list. But your gut is often all you have to go on at the end of the day.

Anka

I'd start asking graduates of the program about it, my chairman and the PD of my home program. Inability to get that kind of information after a concerted search put people way, way down on my rank list. But your gut is often all you have to go on at the end of the day.

Anka

Getting information about the programs is my main problem... I am an IMG.. I don't know too many people in US in the medical field and even less in Peds (i am applying in peds).. I even posted in the peds forum, hoping that someone may give a honest opinion .. but no luck.. :(

That's unfortunate, and does make things a lot harder. Sounds like all you have is your gut. Why not go with it? In general, the US residency system is good. You'll be trained to a basic level of competency, and probably more than that if the program is better than minimal and/or you put your energy into it. If you're miserable, at least with peds it's only for a few years.

Anka

Anka, Thank you very much!!
I guess I will trust my gut.. and leave it up to fate for how things go...

I realy appreciate your help!