How to Make Study Schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YLFounder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to start studying for the MCAT in a month, and I'm a bit overwhelmed about making a schedule. I know that I'll be using the EK books and all the AAMC exams and the self-assessment package. I will also be taking a Kaplan course where you have to do related readings and tests outside of class.

How do I make a schedule as to what I'm going to do per day?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen his schedule and the ExamKrackers ones, but I can't seem to tailor them to fit my needs.

Check out a lengthy post I wrote up about just this. Click the link below.

SN2ed's schedule is great.. just be wary of the time commitment it will take. If you can commit to it, it's the best fully-setup schedule out there.

IMO, everyone should at least start there but don't feel pressured to keep up. Try it for a week. See if you have enough time to keep up, see if it is working for you. If not, immediately readjust. Don't start falling behind or forcing yourself to learn in a different way than you are used to.

Your mindset going into studying is also really important. Focus on identifying and eliminating all weaknesses rather than developing strengths. Given the MCAT is such a broad test, you're more likely to get a test with more weaknesses than strengths (at least going into studying).. and a weakness showing up can kill your score.

The general schedule should be 3 parts:
Content review + practice passages
Self-assessment package + practice passages
Full-length exams + practice passages

Throughout the process, as you figure out where your weaknesses lie.. review and practice them. Content review is important but utterly useless by itself.. you NEED to be doing practice passages to test your understanding of the material and get experience with MCAT-level questions. It's all about developing critical thinking skills... you can't do that by just reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out a lengthy post I wrote up about just this. Click the link below.

SN2ed's schedule is great.. just be wary of the time commitment it will take. If you can commit to it, it's the best fully-setup schedule out there.

IMO, everyone should at least start there but don't feel pressured to keep up. Try it for a week. See if you have enough time to keep up, see if it is working for you. If not, immediately readjust. Don't start falling behind or forcing yourself to learn in a different way than you are used to.

Your mindset going into studying is also really important. Focus on identifying and eliminating all weaknesses rather than developing strengths. Given the MCAT is such a broad test, you're more likely to get a test with more weaknesses than strengths (at least going into studying).. and a weakness showing up can kill your score.

The general schedule should be 3 parts:
Content review + practice passages
Self-assessment package + practice passages
Full-length exams + practice passages

Throughout the process, as you figure out where your weaknesses lie.. review and practice them. Content review is important but utterly useless by itself.. you NEED to be doing practice passages to test your understanding of the material and get experience with MCAT-level questions. It's all about developing critical thinking skills... you can't do that by just reading.

I just read your article. I understand that you said TBR are the best for people looking to ace the exam, but what would be sufficient if I'm looking to make a 32? I'm trying to get into my state school and they begin accepting students at 28. I know SDN is full of people who are wanting to go to Ivy Leagues and top 10 schools, but I want to stay close to home.

Reactions: 1 user
I just read your article. I understand that you said TBR are the best for people looking to ace the exam, but what would be sufficient if I'm looking to make a 32? I'm trying to get into my state school and they begin accepting students at 28. I know SDN is full of people who are wanting to go to Ivy Leagues and top 10 schools, but I want to stay close to home.

There's not really any sure-fire best/sufficient resource for anyone.. that was just general things I thought the resources were orientated for.

TBR is very dense and if you're not coming from the greatest background in the sciences, it can be overwhelming. At some point, its overkill and will not be helpful.

End of the day, you can do well with any resource as long as you stick to it.