How to prepare for NBDE I: 91-87 score experiance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninety

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
When i joined SDN i was looking for a thread that has all details i need but unfortunately i didn't find it. So i decided to share experiences of those who passed with those awaiting their exams or planning to take NBDE I. As a result, i wrote couple of questions and selected some recent exam takers to answere them. P.s.: if any wish to contribute to this thread please copy/paste Qs and write your answeres.

1- you are a: dental student or dentist?
HUGGIES: dentist-graduated 5 yrs ago
Gudluk: . dentist graduated 2yrs bak currently doing my masters in the us
Dlrao: foriegn trained dentist
Ninety: fresh graduate​

2- your composite score: .....
HUGGIES: 91
Gudluk: 91
Dlrao: 90
Ninety: 87​

3- which books or resources you used?
main resources: .....
reference ones: .....
HUGGIES: main-First Aid NDBE 1,
reference-USMLE first aid, usmle organ system, okeson, decks, wheeler, netter atlas anatomy, released exams
Gudluk: main resources: decks and asda papers
reference ones: kaplan notes,wikipedia,wheelers,chaurasia
Dlrao: : kaplan nbde review, kaplan usmle lecture notes, usmle first aid, dental decks 2009, ASDA papers, kaplan Q bank, Aclands human anatomy DVD , kaplan supplementary exam papers, remembered questions, okeson for occlusion, Lippincott for biochemistry​

main resources: USMLE lecture notes and dental decks​

reference ones: Wikipedia​

Ninety: mainly 1st aid followed by decks and Kaplan notes
Reference: Netter, Harper, Wikipedia, medical dictionary …etc​

4- how much time you spared/spent for NBDE I?
HUGGIES: 4mo 2days/wk 8hrs/day, last 1mo 4 days/wk 12hrs/day
Gudluk: 3mnths 12-13hrs/day
Dlrao: 4 months​
total time ...... 10 hrs /day for 3 months , 13 hrs/ day during last month
Ninety: 3.5 months, 6-8 hrs/day

5- method of study:
HUGGIES: read first aid ndbe 1, clarified using other sources if needed, followed w/ decks, than did exams, and repeated again, read other sources if did poorly in some sections on exams
Gudluk: read kaplan first for 1 subject then switched to decks and then papers for that subject
Dlrao: first astudied from usmle lecture notes, followed by dental decks and revising as many times as i can
Ninety: I first read one complete part (e.g. biochemistery) from 1st aid and supplement with decks, and refer when still confused to other sources, then solve some ASDA Qs to know my weakness and re-read if needed, then move to next part, and before the exam i did a 2nd reading with solving more Qs​

6- which exam papers you used (ASDA, others) and which editions:
HUGGIES: all released exam, focused on 2003 and up
Gudluk:1973-2006(did them thrice)
Dlrao: ASDA papers, Kaplan q bank, kaplan supplementary exam papers, remembered questions until feb 2009
Ninety: some non-ASDA papers (very hard and better to limit your self to the pilot one), 2003 ASDA (hardest), and some from 2005 and 98​

7- your comments on:
decks:
HUGGIES: too disjointed, good supplemental source only
Dlrao: repeat as many t imes as u can, dont even leave a single line
Gudluk: is a must u shud know them in and out and if u do nothing can stop u from getting a 85plus
Ninety: don’t like to use it as Only source since it is disorganized

1st aid:
Huggies: great source
Dlrao: read usmle first aid 1 week before ur exam, this will help u a lot
Gudluk: :oops:f no use
Ninety: perfect outline but must supplement with other sources

mosby:
Huggies: idn't use it
Dlrao: No idea
Gudluk: if u have extra time read it not needed
Ninety: didnt use it

crack nbde:
Huggies: didn't use it
Dlrao: its useful, because u can learn how to manage time in exam
Gudluk: waste of money
Ninety: I didn’t have time to finish all the previous ACTUAL exam Qs, so why would I bother myself with other exam simulators!

non-ASDA papers:
Huggies:
Dlrao: of very little help
Gudluk: not needed
Ninety: as I said, concentrate on ASDA papers

8- if you had the chance to repeat NBDE I, what would you have done?
HUGGIES: write better summary notes of info read in supplemental sources
Gudluk: ?.....i wudnt do that,this was my second attempt..i m very happy with my score
Dlrao:
Ninety: take 2 more wks, review DA and anatomy more and more since these are the areas where you can spike your grade, solve more exams and study my mistakes by referring to sources to know the whole fact since it usually comes in exam in another format​

9- how did you study/spend your time 1wk to 1month before the exam?
HUGGIES: 1 wk before review physio/biochem, microbi/path and anatomy/DA last to remember most detail
Gudluk: same i didnt do anything diferent other than trying to be as calm and composed as possible,but in the last week i just flipped over my notes which really helped,last day i didnt study at all
Dlrao: just revised everything , followed by ASDA papers, crack the nbde , remembered questions a lot​
Ninety: doing reviews and 2nd readings coupled with Qs solving

10- any thing more you wish to add?
HUGGIES: how much you study or what sources you use hugely depends on when you graduated, your background and understanding of the subject matter. All of these sources may be too much or not enough for you personally. Go by what your needs our,and don't pay too much attention to how someone else did it. Use it only as a guide.
Gudluk: stay as positive as u can, be confident and calm and u will be fine​
Dlrao: ALL THE BEST FOR THOSE WHO ARE AIMING TO ACHIEVE GOOD SCORE
Ninety: if you want to PASS, decks are enough, if you want a GRADE, decks and 1st aid are not enough, so use combination of sources​

And finally thanks for our contributors, HUGGIES, Gudluk, and Dlrao, and to our great forum, SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Ninety,

Thank you so much for the effort you took with the post. Anytime its a wonderful reference and an awesome tool. It also helps to see that its not just me who's going thro this last but one exam before completion. (not to minimize the smaller ones at school every now and then).

This was really helpful. My exam is one week away! I have resolved to finish old exams, refer to the decks and mosby when I am unclear and to remain confident. From past experience, nothing gets you down quicker than a negative attitude, especially if you have faith. I will study as hard as possible this week, but come Sunday, I am gonna do a very light review, go to the mall, meditate, and get lots of rest. Good luck and Blessings to everyone preparing for this exam. I will post how I felt next Tuesday after it is over with!!!!!!!!! Time to move forward in life and to begin my career as a dentist!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you have a target with little time left, I guess we are forced to study.. and our efficiency improves..

Members don't see this ad :)
Iam confused I cannot understant how those people spent 1 or 2 months only !!!! I feel I will need at least 6 months to prep for nbde 2!!!! :confused:

It's not really studying, it's more just refreshing on what you've learned the last couple years. :thumbup:

Also, i think i would forget stuff that i studied 6 months ago. One month is much more efficient imo, to each their own though.

has anyone else used Crack the Board Part 2 software? I used it for part 1 and thought it was pretty useful. I have been reading back through the decks,etc. just to get as much info as possible. I decided to review questions on my Crack software, only to find several discrepancies. One question listed some barbituates and asked which one did not get metabolized in the liver. The answer they chose was phenobarbital! I looked it up in several resources and all barbituates are metabolized in the liver, atleast phenobarbital is. Long story short, I am not sure if it's the best resource for studying. Just an FYI! I did see other discrepancies! Good Luck everyone! 4 more days to go!

has anyone else used Crack the Board Part 2 software? I used it for part 1 and thought it was pretty useful. I have been reading back through the decks,etc. just to get as much info as possible. I decided to review questions on my Crack software, only to find several discrepancies. One question listed some barbituates and asked which one did not get metabolized in the liver. The answer they chose was phenobarbital! I looked it up in several resources and all barbituates are metabolized in the liver, atleast phenobarbital is. Long story short, I am not sure if it's the best resource for studying. Just an FYI! I did see other discrepancies! Good Luck everyone! 4 more days to go!

I agree with you Crack for part 2 might not be best source and way different and lil tough I felt. Just tried some questions intially but then I stopped, I asked many of them before who took the test, they said they never looked into crack. So I dont know still, if anyone tries and finds it helpful in the real test please share.
Thanks.

This was really helpful. My exam is one week away! I have resolved to finish old exams, refer to the decks and mosby when I am unclear and to remain confident. From past experience, nothing gets you down quicker than a negative attitude, especially if you have faith. I will study as hard as possible this week, but come Sunday, I am gonna do a very light review, go to the mall, meditate, and get lots of rest. Good luck and Blessings to everyone preparing for this exam. I will post how I felt next Tuesday after it is over with!!!!!!!!! Time to move forward in life and to begin my career as a dentist!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey sounds really comforting!! Good luck to you for your exams. Just keep going till the end only few days left for you.:) then you are done, do share experience with us , waiting to hear from you.:thumbup::thumbup:

Well, Day 1 is over! I think my best advice is to study the dental decks, and review old exams to see if you are able to understand that concept. No need to memorize the questions and answers , but you definitely should go through the exam, look up why the answer was correct and why the others were not. You can not possibly know everything so I think 1 month of dedicated studying (5-8 hours) daily should be good. You must get good sleep the night before so you can focus and I always use soft ear plugs which we are allowed to have. The second half I forgot to bring them back in and after I did about 100, I had to go back to get them because there are so many people taking different exams and some are typing. This can be really really loud when you need to concentrate. Knowing the basic concepts will help you because I studied a lot of pharm and the stuff I thought was important was not presented. I hope this helps and relax, it can be passed, eventhough I feel like there is a elf in the computer changing my answers when I get the results! God Bless you all and have Faith in yourself and your abilities!

This is the part II thread of how to prepare for NBDE. Information is taken from recent exam takers. If any would like to contribute, please copy/paste questions with your answers.

1- Are you US trained/Foreign trained ?
lotexigeus: US trained
goldendoc: Foreign trained
kdawg: US
Ninety: foreign trained
cuspofcarabelli: Im in dental school here in the US

2- your composite score:
lotexigeus: 90 (413/500)
goldendoc:

:
kdawg: 83 Comp.; 75/100 Case; 372/500 overall
Ninety: 83
cuspofcarabelli: 80

3- which books or resources you used?
Main resources: .....
Reference ones: .....
lotexigeus:
M: Used dental decks
R: wikipedia and google for unclear subjects
goldendoc:
M:Mosby's Review, Dental Decks 07- 08, ASDA papers
R: wikipedia
kdawg:
M: First Aid, Released exams
R: Mosby, Decks
Ninety:
M: Decks, Mosby, and Tufts review (in order)
R: school notes and Wikipedia of course ;)
cuspofcarabelli:
M: Kaplan Qbanks, dental secret, released board questions
R: Mosby, 1st Aid

4- how much time you spared/spent for NBDE II?
lotexigeus:Studied a month prior to exam date. Studied about 4 hours/day for the first 3 weeks then about 8hrs/day for the last week.

goldendoc: 1 month

kdawg: One week solid study of about 8 hr/day week before exam.

Ninety: 4-5 months (first 3 months was studying irregularly for 2hrs/day, last 2 months 4+ daily) since I am out of school for nearly 3 yrs
cuspofcarabelli: 4-5 hrs Monday- Friday and 10hrs on Saturdays for 2 months

5- method of study:
lotexigeus: Studied dental decks once through. Did 2006 and 2009 released exams and went over questions that were unclear

goldendoc: Went through Decks and Mosby's simultaneously once, doing one subject at a time

kdawg: Cram, cram, cram. Before I began my studies I took one of the released exams to gauge what my strengths/weaknesses were and studied proportionally to that. Found out I was weak in Pharm & Path. Then studied hard using a couple more released exams along the way to monitor progress. Then saved one for the end to see if I was ready. I only used 4 most recently released exams. Seems like getting about 65-70% on those exams translates easily to a passing grade on the real exam. I know I studied properly and balanced because I wasn't too far off (above or below) the national mean in any area.

Ninety: I did decks once for all subjects except pharma and Beh. sciences. I read pharma from Mosby to know general classification of drugs followed by Tufts review. I read Beh. Sciences from Mosby. Then I did some ASDA papers and Kaplan Qs coupled with second reading of areas I was not confident enough about (oral medicine, pharma, prosth, restorative, radiology, beh. sciences)
cuspofcarabelli: started with released boards questions to find my weaknesses ( recent years 1st), used mosby to read on the subjects that are causing me harm lol, then I started on the Q banks ( make sure to read the explanation on all questions included the ones I got right ), dental secret. 3 weeks before my exams I redid 1998 and up released board questions.

6- your comments on:
decks:
lotexigeus: good, I read them slowly and thoroughly
goldendoc: I did only once. very useful for Radiology and OSHA, according to me
kdawg: Not totally necessary, but helpful in your weaker areas. Good for casual study.

Ninety: great source, good to score in 80s (except for pharma since too much and disorganized + I did not use it for beh. sciences so I can not judge this section)
cuspofcarabelli: didnt use them to study for the exam But during my junior year I used endo, ortho/pedo and O.S decks as my study materials for my midterm and final exams.

1st aid:
lotexigeus: didn't touch
goldendoc: n/a
kdawg: Too concise to stand alone. I used it as an outline and wrote notes in it from other sources.
Ninety: rarely used it. Not even an outline (unlike part I where it is a perfect outline that needs little extra readings from other sources)
cuspofcarabelli: used for reference ONLY

mosby:
goldendoc: very good resource and a must
kdawg: Too detailed. Great resource but overkill
Ninety: only did beh. sciences from it. Classical textbook style. Beh sciences, as in other sources, lacks a lot in insurance information (especially for foreign trained like me who have no background about the system in US). But seems to be a great source especially in Pedo/Ortho it is very organized and informative but I already did them from decks so could not do them again
cuspofcarabelli: I read on the subjects that I'm weak in

Kaplan Q bank:
goldendoc:
kdawg: n/a
Ninety: great to fully understand and solidify information. I recommend doing it after first reading and before ASDA papers
cuspofcarabelli: used it a lot. I did all the questions

ASDA papers:
lotexigeus: 06 and 09, gives you a rough estimate on what to expect on the real one, these are slightly tougher than the real exam imo
goldendoc: A must : gives you a very good idea of the exam pattern and questions
kdawg: Four most recent are a MUST; anything older seems outdated. You are silly to not use them.
Ninety: 2006 and 2008 are difficult and will break your confidence, 1993 and pilot exam are straightforward
cuspofcarabelli: recent one up to 1980's, it was helpful but no repeats...only couple questions from the 2009

Crack NBDE:
goldendoc: n/a
kdawg: n/a
Ninety: didn't use it
cuspofcarabelli: didn't use it

Others:
lotexigeus: wikipedia and google. If a subject is unclear to you, do a quick google search and read up on it until you can get a complete understanding on it. Very useful.
goldendoc:
kdawg: Mosby is great but too detailed. If you're looking to just pass I think you need to be comfortable with a volume of information more than what 1st Aid provides, but don't really need as much as Decks or Mosby provide
Ninety: Tufts, enough said! It is a must for pharma. It does not teach pharma details but categorized all previous board questions and teach you how to solve them
cuspofcarabelli:

7- if you had the chance to repeat NBDE II, what would you have done?
lotexigeus: wouldn't have studied as much, but on the flip side I like to play it safe and wanted to guarantee myself a passing score
goldendoc: learn more vigorously.go through decks and mosby's again after I go through the papers. concentrate more on patient management, insurance, osha and prosthodontics.
kdawg: Nothing. I think the reason I passed by just studying for one week is because I continually study dentistry on my own. If you're someone who is always reading journal articles, reading textbooks, and actively learning then the exam is very practical where you can draw on your base knowledge. The cramming is simply to help you remember details that you've forgotten along the way.
Ninety: do more questions
cuspofcarabelli: To be honest, I don't know what I ll do differently..pray more

8- how did you study/spend your time 1wk to 1month before the exam?
lotexigeus: Took it easy the day before the exam, just did a few old questions
goldendoc: Last 2 weeks I was studying frantically because I hadn't studied for almost 10 days in between Went through Mosby's and the ASDA papers
kdawg: see above. Prior to my one week cram session I studied VERY casually. I mean, I would pick up a few Decks cards of one of my classmates and quiz myself now and again. Or just pick up Mosby and start reading a little.
Ninety: review my own notes, review some difficult questions papers. The night before exam I only studied for 2-3 hrs and went out to relax and relieve stress
cuspofcarabelli: I went over the released papers for the 2nd time and focus on reading dental secrets book.

9- any thing more you wish to add?
lotexigeus: If you've made a conscious effort to thoroughly understand how and why you do things in clinic it will make your life easier on this exam. Take your time, read the questions correctly and figure out the most logical answer
goldendoc: Be positive.. Have faith and confidence... Keep praying.. God will not forsake you...
kdawg: For those of us who are just looking for the pass, I think most over-study. At this point the exam should be something you could pass without studying, theoretically, right? Really. I'm middle of the class in ranking and one week got me an 83. I thought the exam was very fair and exactly as I expected it to be. Plenty of gimme's and several WTF's. The key is to not let the WTF's get to you---just move on. And just like Part I, the test wears on you physically and mentally. Of all the standardized exams I've taken over the years, this one has the most practical relevance and was the least stressful to me. DON'T PUSH YOUR ORIGINAL SCHEDULED EXAM DATE BACK!!! Sticking to a date forces you to go for it. I was one of the first in my class to be done because I insisted on getting it over with. You'll be more ready than you feel. Good luck!
Ninety: If you want to pass, decks are enough to pass (better coupled with Mosby for beh sciences and Tufts for pharma).
cuspofcarabelli: The exam was challenging but just believe in yourself and go in with confidence.
Good luck to everyone!

And finally thanks for our contributors,
lotexigeus, goldendoc, kdawg, and cuspofcarabelli, and to our great forum, SDN

Hi ninety

That was really an awesome job.......I thank and appreciate each one of u for ur contribution..

I have planned to take my part 2 in April......thts the last I can give as my eligibility expires after tht....

It's more than 6 yrs I have been out of college....so is 21/2 months enough for doing part 2....

Planning to do decks,asda q,and mosby for the one I don't understand.......

Does any1 know hw is the new formate and hw is the passing chance.....

Thanks in advance
God bless all of us.......:luck:

Hi ninety

That was really an awesome job.......I thank and appreciate each one of u for ur contribution..

I have planned to take my part 2 in April......thts the last I can give as my eligibility expires after tht....

It's more than 6 yrs I have been out of college....so is 21/2 months enough for doing part 2....

Planning to do decks,asda q,and mosby for the one I don't understand.......

Does any1 know hw is the new formate and hw is the passing chance.....

Thanks in advance
God bless all of us.......:luck:

You don't have choice, just work hard and hopefully you will do it

Ok Day 2 is over and I am so glad!!! Now for the worst part, waiting for results. Good luck to all of those who still studying and preparing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok Day 2 is over and I am so glad!!! Now for the worst part, waiting for results. Good luck to all of those who still studying and preparing.

Hey can you please share your experience please how did you find the exam,
Most helpful source for you. Helpful question bank for you?
Which subject did you find more tough and how different are the questions in the new format,
Are there lot of multiple choice answers and match the follwoing types.
Whats the pattern.

Thanks and good luck for your results!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This was my second attempt and it was totally different from the last time. I honestly feel that you will never know all of the information that you study and what you think is important, they might not ask you about. The best advice I could give anyone is to really read the dental decks and understand the basic concepts and the stuff they highlight. I also think that Mosby's and the ASDA released exams are helpful to test your basic knowledge and to see your weaknesses. Do not expect repeats! Understand the concepts and you should be able to use deductive reasoning. As I was taking it, I felt like I was doing fine, but I could also see how easy it is to fail. There are some things you will know, some you won't, and if you remain calm, you may be able to answer it appropriately. Right now, I am solely going on faith and the fact that I prepared the best of my abilities so I have no regrets on how I prepared and would have not changed a thing. After day 1 , I felt overwhelmed and went back to my hotel, ate a good meal, watched TV and chilled out. I reviewed a little, but nothing i reviewed was on Day 2. I suggest that you get through the Decks, review old questions. Quantity of study is not as important as quality. Get plenty of rest the night before, and I only took a 10 minute break in between because I was focused and in the moment and needed to keep the pace. All I can do is to pray that I passed! It is so challenging and so hard to study, do your best, and not do well. Like I said before have faith in your preparation, if you know you did the best you could, that's all that matters because each time it will be different. I hope this helps. I will let you know how I did, but I don't think they will process scores til after Feb 12th.
Good luck everyone, I know how important this is to everybody and their future.

This was my second attempt and it was totally different from the last time. I honestly feel that you will never know all of the information that you study and what you think is important, they might not ask you about. The best advice I could give anyone is to really read the dental decks and understand the basic concepts and the stuff they highlight. I also think that Mosby's and the ASDA released exams are helpful to test your basic knowledge and to see your weaknesses. Do not expect repeats! Understand the concepts and you should be able to use deductive reasoning. As I was taking it, I felt like I was doing fine, but I could also see how easy it is to fail. There are some things you will know, some you won't, and if you remain calm, you may be able to answer it appropriately. Right now, I am solely going on faith and the fact that I prepared the best of my abilities so I have no regrets on how I prepared and would have not changed a thing. After day 1 , I felt overwhelmed and went back to my hotel, ate a good meal, watched TV and chilled out. I reviewed a little, but nothing i reviewed was on Day 2. I suggest that you get through the Decks, review old questions. Quantity of study is not as important as quality. Get plenty of rest the night before, and I only took a 10 minute break in between because I was focused and in the moment and needed to keep the pace. All I can do is to pray that I passed! It is so challenging and so hard to study, do your best, and not do well. Like I said before have faith in your preparation, if you know you did the best you could, that's all that matters because each time it will be different. I hope this helps. I will let you know how I did, but I don't think they will process scores til after Feb 12th.
Good luck everyone, I know how important this is to everybody and their future.
Hi buddy
I hope you pass
Where do live in VA?
KIND REGARDS

Itook the board january 30 and 31 too. Did you recieve the score already? I am waiting.....:scared:
No, I haven't gotten my scores yet either. I have seen on other posts that they have not started processing them yet, but I am not sure. I know they weren't supposed to start until Feb 13th, but the wait is agonizing, but I am praying that we all pass since things are kinda new! I am still staying positive!!! lol:laugh::xf:

Hey Canine...you plan on going back to fredvegas? I'm from there too and will probably be going back when I get paroled next year. :)

Scotty

Hey Canine...you plan on going back to fredvegas? I'm from there too and will probably be going back when I get paroled next year. :)

Scotty
Ummmmm, I will never say never ,but I prefer NC. My sister lives there so I like to visit, but I am not sure about living there. I was there two weeks ago and will be back next month for my sister's wedding.

I was wondering if anyone has taken either NBDE Part 1 or Part 2 that contained the new question format (matching, ordering, multiple answers)? I understand at the moment they will not be scored and are for informational purposes only, however, that could change at any time during 2012.

Any information would be appreciated... taking Part 1 in August...a bit concerned about these new formats...thank you!

Hello Ninety!....i gave my exam 2 months ago and i studied decks thoroughly about 4-5 times, i knew them very well, i had done asda papers as well as kaplan q bank , i also referred kaplan notes. Despite al this i failed my exam. I got 73, i do not know what i did wrong. Please help me, i reallly want to pass this part1 nbde.